“Excellent Brunch Spot” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Vignola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 425 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Commercial Street
Portland, Maine
“Excellent Brunch Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

A friend, who knows we enjoy Sunday brunch, had suggested Vignola several times to my husband and I. We finally made our way to Portland's Old Port area to try them out. What a lovely surprise we found. The meal was delicious, the service was top notch and the atmosphere was super. We started with a lovely breakfast bread compliments of the restaurant and a full bodied coffee. For our main course we ordered the hash which was unlike any I had had before, featuring a blend of Italian seasonings that were very flavorful and the shirred eggs which were cheesy and savory. I would recommend you give this place a try.

• Visited January 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
“Interesting/fun menu, Local ingredients”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I dined here with my family while visiting Portland. We chose to try it because we like the philosophy of farm to table. We sat in the front part of the restaurant. The interior in the front room is brick and the lighting is creative and flattering. There is a cheese course option here that is so fun (if you like cheese!). They offer a wide selection of local and international cheeses, and you can order just one, a grouping of four, of what ever you want. The wine list is also very good, and you can order interesting wines by the glass, to complement the different courses. We also had the pasta, which was fantastic, and my husband had a baby octopus appetizer that made my daughter weep at the sight of the slain little octopi, but my husband said they cooked to perfection. Our waiter was very knowledgable and busy. I will definitely come here again.

• Visited December 2013
Surry, Maine
“Is it the food, the wine or the company?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Both times that we've been to Vignola it has been with a small group of like-minded people - wine enthusiasts. We've had mostly wine and appetizers, plus some cheese and pizza - all enjoyed in a shared fashion. A very pleasant overall experience indeed. But what I remember the most is the company and the wine.
Oh the food was good, some of it very good, and served proficiently by pleasant staff, and in a nice atmosphere. But nothing that I would call 'blow-me-away, I've-got-to-come-here-again-for-this' kind of good. Thus the 4 stars (or circles as the case may be) instead of 5.
I would definitely go there again - but with the right company!

Visited November 2013
Bermuda
“Good food but can be a bit loud pending on where you sit.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Our second time eating here. The first time we were seated in the back which is a bit more quieter. The front can be loud with the tables very close. However, the food is delicious and the service is vey good. Lots to chose from. Pastas are very good.

Visited December 2013
Essex, Connecticut
“Local, fresh exquisite food coupled with exceptional service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Inviting atmosphere in restored brick building caught our eyes when parking nearby. Menu was highly creative with a superb cheese/meat/fruit appetizer section coupled with fine wines and well made cocktails. After savoring various cheeses and wines suggested by a skilled wait staff, we enjoyed pasta dishes and the eggplant appetizer which is a must. The tomato fondant surrounding the tiered eggplant was exceptional and can be a meal for someone looking for light fare. Pasta dishes were creative and extremely fresh.

The pricing was well done for food that is of a high quality.

We will visit again on our next trip as generally such fare is found in a larger city atmosphere were top chefs are in abundance.

• Visited November 2013