“Great food,nice atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
David's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 425 Restaurants in Portland
Cross street: Preble Street
New York City, New York, USA
“Great food,nice atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Although the wait was a bit long, the food was excellent. Good-sized portions, & prepared well.The waitstaff was friendly & knowledgeable about the entrees.

Visited September 2013

St. Pete Beach
“Food and Service Winner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We had eaten at David's last year and wanted to see if it was as good as we remembered it.

It was.

Be sure to try the Brie app. Small and delish. I ordered the pea tendrils, thinking it was an appetizer, but it was a salad. It was so good. Fresh, tasty, light dressing and very enjoyable. I ordered the Ginger & Scallion Crusted Salad to get the wasabi mashed potatoes. Our server suggested ordering it Medium (it comes Medium Rare). The medium was perfectly cooked and moist. The crumbly topping on it was different and good. And the potatoes - yummy. Pea pods and asparagus were the very good veggies. We finished by sharing a caramel torte, which was small, but enough of a bite to finish the meal without overdoing it. I say this because it was delicious and we felt satisfied.

Be sure to make reservations. Go to David's in Portland. You will go back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Durham, Maine
“Awesome experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was our first time to this restaurant. We could not be happier! My husband and I celebrated our anniversary with baked oysters, clam chowder, steak, and crispy duck. Everything about our experience was amazing---including Kristen, our waitress. We will be back as soon as possible and find a babysitter!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
bath
“Yummy Anniversary Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I visited David's for the first time to celebrate our anniversary. For a Sunday evening the restaurant was crowded and we were glad we made reservations. We arrived about 10 minutes ahead of our reservation but the hostess assured us it was no problem and got our table ready very quickly. Water was brought to us right away which is great for me and kept refilled throughout the evening. Our server was efficient and cordial but all business whereas the other server at nearby tables was much more engaging with guests. This is not a complaint but a little more personality would have been nice. Despite a large party sitting next to us our food came out of the kitchen in a timely fashion with little wait between courses. The tuna tartare appetizer was fabulous and the stand out of our selections. Overall a great meal and good atmosphere. We will return.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Calpe spain
“Over Priced, pretentious, amateurish”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

It's a scrubbed - or slightly wiped - table sort of place with a notable lack of supervision on the floor and waiting staff who may or may not have received any training. I suspect the latter.
They weren't busy because we after the early evening peak. Service was slow and unprofessional. The food, when it eventually arrived, was as over-priced as the wine.
I would rate this as one of the poorest dining experiences I have suffered in many years of world travel.
I only enter an establishment in the hopes of being able to say "Well done, that was splendid" at the end of the meal. Alas not so it this sorry establishment and its serving staff that I wouldn't hire to run a kids party in an chocolate factory, no the "chefs" ( ? kids, possibly, on work experience ), to function in anything more demanding than McDonalds.
The ingredients might have been marginally good before the kitchen staff got their hands on it. Their steak was one of the most average I've suffered in America.
I do appreciate that this country is not internationally renowned for its cuisine, one accepts that as a fact of life. But when it's pretentious and hugely over-priced like this, I suggest you avoid the place then you won't be joining the ranks of those who have felt ripped off by "David" and his [--] operation.

• Visited August 2013