“Wonderful experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Morrill Mansion Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Morrill Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Fredericton, Canada
“Wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Booked Morrill Mansion B & B last moment and were fortunate the Promanade Suite was available. Owner, David greeted us and made us feel welcome providing a list of recommended restaurants. The suite had just recently opened and nothing had been overlooked. Decor was beautiful and no amenity was missing. The mini refrigerator stocked with juice and water was a nice touch. Breakfast was delightful with something for everyone. Morrill Mansion was well with in walking distance of the Arts District and the Old Port. I hope to make this my home when visiting Portland in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Pleasanton, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We found Morrill Mansion B&B from Trip Advisor, and we would happily stay there again. It's a charming B&B, very tastefully decorated. The breakfast was great, consisting of french toast with blueberry compote, scones, fruit, chocolate custard, yogurt, etc. David, the owner, was very friendly and helpful. He recommended a dinner restaurant for us that was within walking distance, and it turned out to be a great recommendation -- we all five loved what we ordered.

The inn even had a couple of seemingly minor amenities, but my husband and I appreciated them. The shower head was tall enough for my husband (he's 6'7"); many renovated B&Bs don't bother changing out the original short shower height, but we wish they would! Also, it had a nice blow dryer, where the temperature and velocity operate independently of each other; that's a rare find in any hotel, but I really appreciated it! I know it sounds silly to some, but I'll bet many of you ladies know what I'm talking about.

Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Driving to Portland the usual reaction has been, "Oh, good, there's Portland so we must be almost there for our vacation in Maine," Now it's going to be, "Oh, good, we're almost to the Morrill Mansion B&B for an overnight R&R on our way to our vacation!" David has a delightful oasis here, a place to unwind and look around, poke into the history and architecture and yes, the great restaurants. You can't go wrong spending a night or a weekend at Morrill Mansion.
When you look at the picture you see the past, but inside the twenty-first century has been seamlessly integrated into the place. Flat screen tvs, comfortable beds with decent pillows, the bathroom in my room with a walk-in shower all marble and bronze fixtures. There's the luxury of a mini refrigerator in the room, stocked with water to wash the dust of the road from your throat. After a long drive it's sooooo nice to be able to collapse and relax in such wonderful surroundings. On the second floor David keeps the sitting room/library/snack center ready with lemonade and baked goods fresh every afternoon. There's a basket with Cheetos and other snack packs, quite a treat since I never buy things like that for home but love to have an opportunity to indulge in such fun. I can't attest to the DVD collection because I can't fathom having sufficient time to watch one, what with all Portland has to offer.
Take a walk on the Eastern Promenade and look out to the islands or back to the substantial homes built along the streets in this area. A half hour out of your travel time will be well worth it to feel the sense of place that makes Portland what it is. The Art Museum has shows that change all the time so check it out before you arrive to see what's on the agenda there. The old port section of town is good for some window shopping and snooping around the history of the waterfront. And the restaurants! I wonder if anyone in Portland ever eats at home? So many places to dine! If you're there for a week you could do a single block in that area and never eat in the same place twice. We had lunch at Duck Fat, the darling of foodies these days and as of last week I can report that success has not spoiled it. "Oh, I could never go to a place that cooks french fries in duck fat," I can hear you saying. "I'm watching my calories and cholesterol." You've heard the expression, "You can never be too thin or too rich?" Well, have lunch at Duck Fat and after eating their fries you won't want another french fry for six or eight months, so think of how many calories you save in the long run. You'll end up thin and rich from the experience.
David does innkeeping right. He's available to answer questions and provide suggestions and he's terrific in the kitchen. I avoided B&B's for years after a dreadful experience with a fellow who operated under the delusion that we guests were all there to hear him natter on about his wonderful life. We were captive at the communal table at breakfast and he never shut up. Yikes! It was years before I'd risk the B&B experience again. At Morrill Mansion the tables are sprinkled around the room so you have the opportunity to chat with other guests or enjoy your morning coffee and the paper in peace.
Now I'm wondering what it's like to be in Portland in the fall? I bet it's great to be snug inside the substantial walls of Morrill Mansion in the winter months. I may have to adjust my travel schedule because I'm already anticipating returning.

Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Live in Portland ME and recommend Morrill Mansion to all of my out of town guests. Lot's of very satisfied friends and relatives! Although I haven't stayed there myself, I can personally attest to my guests consistant and glowing feedback, and my firsthand knowledge about Morrill Mansion from visiting my guests there.

This very tastefully restored and decorated B&B, is squeeky clean with all of the amenities a B&B should offer - including off street parking. The 8 rooms, all with private baths, room air conditioners and ceiling fans (yes, need a/c in ME when it's hot and humid) and a small refrigerator stocked with a couple of bottles of water, vary in size and decor, but all are quite lovely. Prices are very moderate compared to other local B&B's even in the height of the season -summer thru fall - and the difference in room prices usually reflect the size. There is one room (recently added) on the main floor with the rest of the rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors. David, the owner will drag your bags up the large staircase so not to fret if you choose a room on the 3rd floor (but do have pity on him when packing). The 2nd floor boasts a library - community type sitting room for all guests to enjoy. There's always some home-baked goodies to snack on and beverages to sip, as well as shelves filled with books and dvds. When I was there to pick up my guest last Sunday, homemade whoopie pies and lemonade were the pickings for that particular day, plus tea and coffee are always available.

David contributes so much to making your stay memorable and is just one of the reasons so many of his guests are repeat customers. He is friendly, very knowledgeable about the area, super accommodating, and truly wants you to enjoy your stay at his B & B. His complimentary breakfasts are fabulous too, with homemade items as well as an array of traditional breakfast cereals, etc., to be enjoyed by all guests in a small, comfy main floor room of the inn (have joined some of my guests there for coffee and ...)

The mansion is located in a super convenient area, nearer to Maine Medical Center than it is to the Old Port and Downtown, but still less than 1 mile away (20 minute walk) from most all of the hustle and bustle of the local attractions. There are several wonderful restaurants extremely close by to the Mansion in the West End of town, which David gladly will recommend.

You will not be disappointed with your stay at this delightful, beautifully restored, pristine, gem of a B&B (unless you are a family with small children, as in my opinion, B&B's are not appropriate for small kids)!

Room Tip: All rooms are on Morrill's web site with photos and descriptions.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We were attending a family wedding in Portland and were fortunate to be able to stay at Morrill Mansion for 4 nights. The rooms were immaculate and quiet. There is a small parlor on the first floor and a Gathering Room on the second floor where members of our family could sit and wait for one another.

Homemade treats and lemonade in the afternoon provided a welcome pick-me-up.

Our host, David, was accommodating, helpful, and genuinely interested in our comfort and well-being . The place is organized and very well managed. It is beautifully restored, decorated and comfortable in every respect.

We stayed in the only downstairs room, a 2 room suite that would easily sleep 3, with privacy for all. The other member of our party stayed on the second floor in the Morrill Suite which was elegant and would also easily sleep 3 with privacy for all.

If we return to Portland this is where we would stay and where we would send our friends. We felt welcome, appreciated and safe.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty carrying bags or using narrow steps as you find in old houses, choose the fir...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I booked this B&B last minute. It was in a nice neighborhood about a 20 minute walk to downtown Portland. I felt very safe walking the neighborhoods and shops in the area. The location was across the street from the hospital and we were concerned about noise, but neither my husband or I woke up to any noise. The room was immaculate and very nicely furnished. Bed was comfy and each room had it's own a/c unit. He had a great selection of DVDs and he always had snacks and drinks available (brownies, chips and iced tea). The breakfast was fabulous (custard, fruit, scrambled eggs, cinnamon rolls, fresh bread, etc). The owner was available to answer questions, but not overy talkative and left us to ourselves. I would definitely recommend this B&B to anyone (except families with small children).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
away_from_home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Morrill Mansion for 3 nights and had a great time. We were in Portland for a wedding in Falmouth but had plenty of time to thoroughly enjoy this great B&B and its excellent location. David, the owner, makes excellent recommendations for nearby restaurants. We enjoyed being able to walk to dinner each night and had a great time strolling around Portland during the day. The B&B is a beautifully restored house once owned by the Morrill Family of oven baked bean fame. We stayed in the Bramhall room which had plenty of space and was very comfortable (even when it was > 90 degrees in Portland). Breakfast was great with a good mix of light cereals, delicious baked goods, and something savory as well. The second floor library also had excellent daily afternoon baked treats. Outstanding B&B!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Morrill Mansion Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!