“Duckfat, need I say more!?!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 540 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
“Duckfat, need I say more!?!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Fries are good, sandwiches are great, homemade soda - even better! Not a big place, just great casual dining, with a very hipster vibe. Can't wait to get back to Portland!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New Canaan, CT
“Fun, but not Foodie-worthy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

The duckfat gimmick brought us in, but there was some sort of mix up with our order, which resulted in getting donut holes (ordered 20 minutes in advance as directed) before some of our food. The paninis were eh. Only beer or wine, no cocktails. Salad underdressed. Fries were average. Not worth a repeat.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Woolford, Maryland, United States
“It is worth the wait but they could do better on service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Tried on Friday but wait was too long. Tried at 11:30am on Sunday and they were able to fit us in for 3 immediately but soon after the waiting started. I dinged them on service because they need to speed up the kitchen. If they could they would turn tables faster and cut the wait in half and make twice as much money. The paninis were fantastic. Best ever. Fries were good too. If I owned the place I would figure out how to speed the kitchen. It was 12:10 when our food arrived. Thats forty minutes after arriving for lunch! I would also try to expand to one of the other restaurants on either side.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saco, Maine
“good fries”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Fries are good but not great. Lots of dipping sauces, but the fries themselves are average. Not an ideal family resteraunt, but good if it's you and a couple of friends

Visited September 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“One of Portland's Best Spots! Casual, Fun & Delish!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

On the way up to Northern Maine, and in much need of a break and some lunch, the wife and I stumbled into Duckfat after it caught our attention via the Yelp Mobile app. Very high ratings and a great, simple concept, we were sold.

We parked at a garage nearby for a couple of bucks and walked over.

That's all that you should really focus on; you're in good hands here after all. We had to wait approximately 35 minutes for a couple of seats to open up on one of their counter seating options. We were seated promptly, given menus, water and glanced at the menu and specials.

While the menu isn't extensive, it covers a lot of ground. From sandwiches and duck fat fies to salads, cold cut platters and soups. There's also a couple of classics like a PB&J and a grilled cheese sandwich as well which can be ordered. Nothing goes above $12 which is remarkable and most of the items range around $7-$9 making this place affordable.

I settled for one of their specials which was a delicious, fresh beans and peas salad with some goat cheese and some crushed tomatoes. It was very light, it was very tasty although a bit on the smaller side. However that ended up being a good thing for two reasons: 1) That enabled me to split an order of duck fat fries with my wife and 2) I got to order a milk shake for dessert.

My wife loves her panini which was a take on the classic B.L.T., but elevated to a new level; it instead featured bacon, tomatoes and... goat cheese! That's right. It's the B.G.T. ($9.50) and it was served on some great bread too. Perfect toasty deliciousness, bite after bite.

The service was quick, efficient, and they have a solid beer list on top of that as well. The place was packed, but we didn't mind. We weren't in a rush and were able to get a good experience there. We killed some time waiting for our food by playing with the giant magnetic board which ran the width of the entire wall of the restaurant and which had those magnetic words all over it. It was fun and quite unique.

The star of the show, which we split was their duck fries. While I doubt that anything that I'll type will give those fries justice they were incredible. They don't taste like duck so you don't have to worry about that however they're both fluffy and crisp and just incredible. You'll want to get an order of them. They come with dipping sauces as well and I highly recommend their garlic aioli one but there's another seven that you can pick from. A small order will run you $5 and a large $6.50. We split a small one and regretted not getting the large size so be warned.

So interested in going here? I've established the following unofficial rules for all patrons who want to experience this great spot:

- 1. You will wait in line (if there is one) for a seat; don't worry, it'll be worth it
- 2. You will order a small, or large order of duck fat fries for your party (and share although that's very optional)
- 3. You will save room for one of their milkshakes to end your meal on a sweet note

There. Learn them. Master them. Apply them. You'll leave very happy, trust me.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere