“Creative and hip” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Mechanic Falls, Maine
“Creative and hip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The food is a bit unusual and delicious and plentiful. Prices are pretty fair. The atmosphere is fun and the staff is attentive and speedy.

Visited July 2012

Portland, Maine
“A Fun Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We keep coming back to The Great Lost Bear because it is a fun place to eat. We have been there many times and it is always been on our "short list" of Portland dining spots. The wall decorations are eclectic and the menu is fun to read. I usually get the fish and chips and it always seems to be good. As another reviewer noted, it is dark in there, so it might take a while to adjust to the low light. All in all, it's just a fun casual place to go. As the jingle goes, "Good times are in the air......at the Great Lost Bearrrr."

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Halifax, Canada
“Worth checking out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

had read reviews so decided to find this restaurant. Was glad it was a Sunday night as didn't have to fight the traffic and found a parking spot beside the restaurant. Was impressed with all the information on the walls. It is a museum!! Hubby was impressed with all the beers and tried the taster sizes as I was driving. He loved the fish and chips that was cooked without the traditional greasy pancake style batter, but was crispy and flavorful. The fries were cut in slices and there was plenty to eat. I had a burger that I hear that they are known for. I like any burger so wasn't impressed either way but it was good. Liked the sliced fries as a nice change. Prices were good, service was excellent and the ambiance was superb. Would go back again if have the chance as the there are many food choices. I think anyone could find something but wished that they had clams! Surprised that they didn't. Worth a try!

Visited September 2012
VT
“Still crazy (and great) after all these years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Lived in the Portland area when the GLB opened, moved away but have dropped by every few years. The menu still is one of the best for vegetarians anywhere. Fun stuff - this time I had the vegetarian patty melt. Absolutely delicious. Husband had the fish and chips. The fish was super - nicely breaded and fried - but the chips a little mundane. My ginger beer was really welcome, and my husband's beer (draft Big Twitch Ale) was the best he's ever had. The service was fine. We ate outdoors on a beautiful day, great shade. Still crazy, still a great lunch spot.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband researched every brew pub and restaurant with a variety of beer selections before our vacation to Maine. This was one of the places we had to go to eat, and we are glad we did. There were olny 2 things that I wasn't crazy about, the location and it was so darn dark in there you could barely see your food. The waitress, Pam, was the best. She heard the slurp of your last drop of beer and was there asking you if you needed another. The beer selection was fabulous, from local Maine breweries and the menu choices were substantial, my burger was so big, my husband ate the other half and the kids macaroni and cheese was not from a box. The waitress was very helpful with recommendations to local shopping, and gave the kids bumper stickers. She was one of the best servers on our trip to Maine. Thanks! the Mingaccis from Philadelphia.

Visited August 2012