“Fine dining with artisanal pride by the whole crew” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 552 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Congress St.
basel
“Fine dining with artisanal pride by the whole crew”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We've been returning to Opus Ten during our annual trip to Maine.

I can echo from other reviews: inventiveness of the menu, excellent preparation, nice atmosphere, flawless service is better than what you expect from a 100$ all-in wining and dining experience.

I was amazed that they could manage to serve the seven (actually eight) course meal with such labor intensive dishes like the quail egg yolk ravioli for the price of 60 $

I agree that in the current menu, the ingredients of the main meat dish should have been a notch up from what was served. The effort of the preparation would have paid off nicer with beef or bison.

We have a reservation at one of the top restaurants in New York next week - there it will cost three times as much, but I highly doubt it can be three times as good.

we'll be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Great concept; missed some details”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

David's Opus Ten is a restaurant within a restaurant located to the rear of the main establishment. The service is impeccable, from being seated through the final settlement of the check each server and staff member knew their business, knew what they were serving, its provenance, and imparted information with confidence and enthusiasm. The room is small, intimate and charming with exposed brick, a service station with charcuterie in the middle and an open kitchen where a few lucky diners are seated at one end.
Diners may choose from carnivore and vegetarian prix fixe menus...and mixing and matching is allowed. Diners may also choose the super wine selection, or the basic pairings...or no wine. From our amuse bouche to the truffles and dainties following dessert, each of the seven courses was well described, beautifully displayed and flowed nicely from one to the other. Two lovely theatrical moments included limoncello being poured over the blueberry sorbet palate cleanser by a young man who poured the liquor from an ice encasing, making it just one step away from being frozen itself. And, in the course that featured a ravioli enrobed quail egg, a young man poured an outstanding herbed broth over the ravioli to finish the cooking of the egg to prevent overcooking before the dish came to the table.
Despite the well trained staff, the course inventiveness and dramatic presentations we were not blown away. We enjoyed the evening, but the entree (pork shoulder with a large hush puppy and strawberry 'ketchup') was not an entree portion size...even with the spirit of nouvelle portions and the idea that these were conceptual tastes of food...the entree was much too small. It was not even appetizer size and the hushpuppy was larger than the cube of pork butt...which is, in truth, a very inexpensive cut of meat. Not quite carnivore-esque....unless carnivore just meant that there might be a bit of meat as opposed to no meat all all.
We loved the idea of the restaurant within a restaurant and the service was absolutely tops. What we ate was delicious. But it was not 'oh my goodness, we must go back again' deliciousness.
This is a nice place to meet friends and have a special evening...albeit a pricey evening. If one is expecting avant garde, cutting edge cuisine it just misses on the culinary end. But, the service was outstanding!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Good food. ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I really enjoyed the private setting. Food was really good. Our waiter David was very knowledgeable and attentive. The reserve wine paring was very good. Every course comes with a detailed description.

Lake Grove, New York
“Worst experience in a restaurant ever, without eating!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I waited two weeks to write this givig David Turin a chance to answer my TWO emails. He did not!
I made a reservation for OPUS 10 on Wed for Saturday night special occasion with friends from NYC. We arrived to be told we did not have a reservation, I was dismayed and asked the hostess to double check. She found our Res but told us she had no room in 10, I asked for the manager, the hostess found room. As we were walking to opus 10 seating, another staff member told us they did not prepare enough food, We left!
My wife and I have frequented 388 one of Turin's other cafes. We could not believe what happened to this day.
We can never walk in to a Turin establishment again. The humiliation, especially in front of our friends, was ridiculous. The no return of contact was obsurd.
Portland has so many great eateries that you don't have to take a chance on being treated as we were!

• Visited July 2014
Emily B, Public Relations Manager at David's Opus Ten, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
We're very sorry to hear about your recent experience at our restaurant. Moving forward, we've asked staff to be more conscious of potential confusion when taking reservations at David's for David's Opus Ten so that we can avoid these mix-ups in the future.

We hope you'll consider trying Opus Ten, and we'd like you to please contact Kim at 207-773-4340 (Tuesday - Saturday from 10-2) to discuss your visit further.
Maine
“Superb. Worth the time, worth the price.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We've eaten several times at The White Barn Inn and the Inn at Little Washington. David's Opus 10 ranks with those superior restaurants. From our erudite server, David (not the owner) to the chef, Bo Byrne, to the sous chef, Matt, everyone connected to this seven course meal was top of the line.
We enjoyed the first of the summer menus, which included Spoonbill caviar, Vichyssoise, brown butter poached lobster, quail egg pasta ravioli, ale braised pork butt and torrefacto ice crew, to name but a few items on the menu.
We chose the Opus Ten wine pairings, which were just perfect. I will say, if you opt not to have the wine, you may be able to concentrate even more on the food. I'm glad I had the wine, because, while I'm pretty well versed in food, I don't know a lot about wine--except what I like. I'm not apt to move out of my comfort zone on wine, and this was a perfect opportunity to do so, under the knowledgeable tutelage of our server.
Whether you're a foodie (me) or not (my spouse) you will thoroughly enjoy--or revel--in this restaurant. Portland, ME has a ridiculous number of exceptional restaurants for a city this size. David's Opus 10 is two cuts above excellent. For two people w/ one having the wine paring, the total bill with tip was $240. It's a special occasion place. (It was our anniversary, and the staff made note of that, which was a delightful touch.) I highly recommend.

• Visited June 2014