“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Five Fifty Five is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 540 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Oak Street
Description: Steve and Michelle Corry, the proprietors of Five Fifty-Five, arrived in Portland armed with a passionate vision and extensive experience in the restaurant industry. Steve began his culinary career as a brew master at several breweries in Northern California. In 1999, he attended the New England Culinary Institute in Burlington Vermont. After graduating in 2001, he returned to California to work at Domaine Chandon in Napa Valley. A graduate of Boston University with a Bachelor's Degree in Hotel and Restaurant Administration, Michelle Corry has worked at numerous prestigious establishments, including the French Laundry in Napa. Together, they have envisioned a dining experience that would combine a comfortable atmosphere, professional service, and fresh, simple, and delicious food sourced locally. Steve and Michelle Corry would like to welcome you to their first collaborative, Five Fifty-Five.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My daughter and I dined here on Thursday night. It is conveniently located on Congress St. We had the tomato roasted soup, fresh garden salad and mac & cheese in the lounge. We ordered off the lounge menu. It was the most amazing food. We were surprised how fresh everything was and home made. I recommend this restaurant for anyone in the Portland area or visiting. It should be one of the top restaurants in the area. Service is great and the setting is warm and cozy.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Marietta, Georgia
“A Wonderful Surprise--Great food!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This restaurant is inconspicuous, a storefront downtown. But the food was terrific! My wife had the best scollops she has ever eaten (and that's saying a lot)!

Visited October 2012
Twin Mountain, New Hampshire
“555 was five stars.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Service was knowledgeable and prompt. Great drinks plus atmosphere. Above all great food, The traitors eggs was perfect, Prices were consistent with food and service quality

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maine
“Sat at bar, poor service and food average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was there Monday night Oct. 16 and the bartender was really not all that fast or attentive. I waited several minutes before even being seen and when I was, it took a few more minutes to get a menu and drink. His priority was and continued to be not with those sitting at the bar, but filling orders for the floor diners. I was going to the State Theater so was a bit rushed.

I ordered the mac and cheese and yes, it was a bit undersized, but I expected that coming from the bar menu. However, it was perhaps the blandest M&C I ever had. It needed both a healthy dose of S&P, but found none near me to add. I also had the fries and after I consumed them, and was settling up, the guy next to me (who as it turned out was a regular) said, "aren't they the best you ever had?" I did acknowledge they were very good and he said it was because they were cooked in duckfat. I didn't know whether to vomit or get pissed off as I am a vegetarian. This is one reason I don't eat at Duckfat down the road. It said nothing of the sort on the menu and I am not sure he was in "the know" about the duckfat or not. If it was indeed in duckfat, I would really be POed in this day and age of the amount of vegetarians out there. As a result, I would love to have the management comment on my post regarding this issue.

So, vegetarians beware until you get a response and then I would imagine you would take it with caution. Would love to dine on the floor if I had more time, but wondered why I would pay $32 for lobster M&C when you really can't lobster when it is cooked that way, especially with crummy M&C.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Delicious tasting menu, lovely place for a celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We chose this restaurant for our anniversary dinner last week and were really pleased we did! We'd never been to Portland before, had no personal recommendations and chose the restaurant online from the EU looking at Trip Advisor amongst other sites. We had problems with the online booking system (it didn't seem to like non-US bookings) but this was resolved very speedily once I emailed the restaurant. They were also very considerate with a food intolerance and made sure we knew what was safe to eat or not.

On a cold, wet evening, we chose the tasting menu, with a US wine, and were both blown away by the delicious and innovative dishes on offer. A tomato bisque appetiser was fresh and tasty, an apple and cheese salad was crisp and light with particularly good cinnamon caramelised nuts. Peppered scallops were just right - succulent with a crisp, slightly spicy coating, and the lobster pasta with truffles was decadently rich. Puddings too were good - not too heavy and well flavoured.

Dining habits in the US are different, and I think we were about the last people there at 9:00pm, which is still quite early by EU standards! It was quite a pricey menu, but the food was delicious and a great treat for a special occasion. The only thing I'd note that in Europe, for this price bracket, is that I'd expect little touches like gluten-free bread instead of just normal bread being offered. Other than that, a nice spot for a splurge!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere