“Worth a few steps up the hill from Old Port” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 540 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Maryland, USA
“Worth a few steps up the hill from Old Port”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was uncertain about this place, on the edge of old port, and my family was particularly skeptical as we walked up because it doesn't look like much from the outside.  In contrast, the interior is very welcoming - wood tables, comfortable spacing, original art on the walls.  We went on a Saturday at 11am and it was half-full, filling as noon approached with people who seem like regulars (greeting staff, etc).  Prices were $6-10 (granola to french toast).

Orange juice was deliciously fresh-squeezed and a big hit (with my wife and kids "tasting" half of it).  Coffee (organic, fair trade) was served in a "bottomless", distinctive, easy-to-handle mugs (a nice touch).

The quality of the food was outstanding, but be warned: if you order the out-of-this-world french toast, it'll take 20-30 min.  Breads were flavorful and locally-made, including a dense multi-grain that's as dark as pumpernickel.  The omelettes were delicious, and the sweet potatoes added interest to the home fries.

The service was just right, attentive to refills without being intrusive.

Bangor, ME
“A great cafe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I walked by this cafe a couple time before I bothered to actually take a look at it. Not much to look at from the outside, but very nice inside. I checked it out on social media sites on my smartphone and decided to go in for lunch. I was glad I did! The menu had a lot of innovative salads, and also a lot of innovative sandwiches. I got a turkey/avocado/hummus sandwich with whole grain bread that was great. The cafe is a little off the beaten path, for better or worse, but just a few minutes' walk from the Old Port. Friendly staff and nice neighborhood atmosphere were pluses. Try it!

Visited May 2012
“If you don't mind waiting, this place is for you.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

We go to breakfast every Sunday at different places all over Portland, and this place is by far the slowest. We waited 10 minutes to even be acknowledged by our waitress for drinks, and at least 45-50 minutes for our food. Their only saving grace is their food. It is very fresh and tasty. If you don't mind poor service and spending a good part of your morning waiting, then by all means visit this place.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Buxton, me
“yummy, classy twist to breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

This is a quaint little place that serves yummy brunch as well as lunch. They have a nice little selection of food. I had an AMAZING pesto and spinach scrambled egg on a thick, toasted artisan bread. So good. They also through in a few sweet potatoes with the homefries. It is not far from down town and definitely within walking distance. Worth the trip.

• Visited February 2012
Charleston, South Carolina
“LOVE LOVE LOVE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

My husband and I were in Portland last summer to photograph a wedding, and always love to find quaint, off the beaten path places to eat when we are traveling. I am personally not into the "fancy" atmosphere restaurant, but always love and appreciate cozy, comfortable or eclectic places with friendly service. This little place was such a great find! We loved it so much we went their 2 times, once for lunch and once for brunch.
I am not a foody like my husband so for me to be impressed is saying something! :) We both loved the food and the service was excellent. If we didn't live so far away, we'd surely go back.

• Visited July 2011