“you'd be hard pressed to find something worse that is not fast food” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mesa Verde - CLOSED

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican
Portland, Maine
“you'd be hard pressed to find something worse that is not fast food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

When Mesa Verde first opened, we were quite excited hoping that we'd get good Mexican food. Alas, the food is less than mediocre, the service not especially good. For a restaurant in the heart of town, you'd think they would try harder. I give them a shot every year and have never been disappointed by how much they disappoint. If you want a wonderful Mexican meal try Los Reyes, although I hate to share the secret of this casual, wonderful restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Watertown, Massachusetts, United States
“Fun Eats!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Good food terrific staff. We had a big party and our waiter was super nice and worked hard. Great place to eat.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Typical Mexican Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

It was average. The food was nothing special but I enjoyed the atmosphere. It is centrally located to downtown Portland which is a plus. It's the perfect place to eat before a concert at State Theater but not when the wait staff is extremely slow.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Maine, United States
“Service problems, ok food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I used to be a frequent visitor of this restaurant about 2-3 years ago, and back then, it was always fantastic. But, I recently went back and it was kinda disappointing.

The sign said 'seat yourself' so my friends & I did, but we had to wait at the table with no menus or anything for about 15 mins before I decided to track down a staff member. There were a few running around, and they all seemed really stressed and busy even though the restaurant wasn't even close to full.

When a waitress finally did come over, she had a very pleasant attitude, but took forever to get our drinks (may not have been her fault). Regardless of fault though, we sat for over 30 minutes before our order was taken.

Previously when I had been there, they automatically brought over chips & salsa when you sat down. Though I saw other tables with chips & salsa, we didn't get any, so our server either forgot or they changed it to a regular menu item so they could charge for it. Either way, lame.

After waiting a while for the food, my friends got their plates at least 10 minutes before mine, and when mine finally came, it was the wrong quesadilla, the waitress had mixed up mine with a woman at another table's. The waitress offered to let me keep the first quesadilla while having the kitchen re-do mine, but luckily for them, both the other woman and I were ok with the switch (she had already started eating hers) and decided to eat the mistaken quesadillas.

After all that, the quesadilla was very delicious. It was filled with roasted veggies including portabella mushrooms and a sharply flavored cheddar cheese. However, my friends said their dinners (a taco salad and a burrito) were less than spectacular. One friend also had a margarita which she said was no bueno.

At the end of the meal, the waitress seemed very apologetic about all that had gone wrong, and she brought my friends and I a complimentary slice of carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, which we promptly devoured. We appreciated that very much, and she definitely resuscitated her tip with that move.

I'll probably end up giving this place another shot, see if they get the kinks worked out. But if I have another experience like this, I won't waste my time here again until they change owners or something.

Visited January 2013
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
“Chili”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Had the chili, and it was very good. The other food was more expensive than I expected. A little dark in the restaurant also.

• Visited January 2013