“Consistant Quality” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Maine
“Consistant Quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We have been going to Back Bay Grill for over a decade and in our opinion is the best restaurant in Portland . The service is outstanding and the food is out of this world. We are always welcomed warmly by Adrian and the waitstaff . Highly recommend!

95% Recommend
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Still very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Terrific food this trip - as always. The crab cake appetizer is outstanding. They also gave us a sample of some sort of banana semifreddo . . .DELICIOUS!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Maine, United States
“Old Standby, Still a Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We went there with friends last night after not having been there for several years. It is still a wonderful restaurant experience with a warm welcoming staff, great service and terrific food. The atmosphere is refined and intimate. The service is attentive without being smothering. And the food is really delicious. I had a beet salad and then scallops for the main course. The scallops were perfectly cooked and were served with a very tasty quinoa and vegetable. Great. I highly recommend this restaurant. I think it is the best restaurant in Portland.

“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This place is absolutely delicious and the service is great. Be sure to try one of their signature cocktails, had the apple cider martini. It tasted like fall in a glass, very tasty

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Maine
“Great Birthday Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of visiting Back Bay Grill for a birthday celebration on Thursday, September 26, and we were impressed with all the facets of our dining experience. BackBay Grill is located in one of the funkier parts of Portland, Maine. You transition from streets off the beaten path into a quiet, elegant restaurant with interesting artwork, creamy colored walls and a great menu. We sat at a great corner table that gave us privacy as well as being able to look over the restaurant from the bar to the main dining room. By the middle of the meal, the restaurant was full.

Wines:
Bottle prices go from quite reasonable to quite expensive. For our meal we enjoyed a bottle of A to Z Pinot Noir from Oregon. This paired nicely with all of our courses. A to Z is fruity and most important has a Crisp bite that is typical with some Pinot Noirs. It is difficult to find Oregon Pinot's in local restaurants, I was glad to see a few on the menu. The wine was quite nice and really paired well with our dinner choices. As I drink more Pinot's, I am amazed at their complexities-this was a good choice. Tip: You should really consider getting a bottle and skipping by the glass since Back Bay Grill's bottle prices are so reasonable.

Starters:
My wife had a beet salad with an incredible sauce with a mystery ingredient that was wonderful. It was topped off with Goat cheese. I had a mushroom soup with brussel sprouts and pancetta. The brussel sprouts were a great addition as they were crisp, and the pancetta had a great salty taste that married well with all the other flavors.

Entrees:
My wife had a melt in your mouth grilled fillet mignon-larger than some fillets we have gotten at other restaurants. I enjoyed a lamb shank with crusted Parmesan. The lamb was perfectly done-falling off the bone. It paired well with the Pinot Noir.

Desserts:
We finished off with the Bête Noir w/ pistachio ice cream,Tonka Bean Panna Cotta and Raspberry Coulis. This is a dense chocolate torte about 2-3 inches in diameter and quite adequate to split between 2 people-specially after the entrees. The torte was dense and well balanced-not too heavy but not light either. I hadn't had a torte like that in a while-very nice. We both had espressos and they went quite well with the chocolate.

Service:
The service was excellent and we got into a discussion with our server regarding Oregon Pinot's and he directed us to A To Z Pinot Noir based on my wife's interest in crisp, dryer Pinot's. It was a great choice. Service staff was professional but they did not take themselves too seriously-they had fun and spoke to us every now and then but did not intrude into our enjoyment of the dinner service. The servers enjoy their work and it shows.

Overall:
This restaurant is right up there with Portland's other great restaurants and not to be missed for an anniversary, Birthday or other event. It's a four star restaurant in my mind and the prices reflect that. I highly recommend it!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere