“Amazing experience.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Fore Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 552 Restaurants in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Eclectic
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Franklin and Pearl
Richmond, Virginia
“Amazing experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

The food was unbelievable, service amazing and friendly and unpretentious. I am usually not a much of a meat eater, but felt inspired by Fore Street and ordered the pork-- it was cooked to perfection, but in my eyes was enough to feed a small family! (I am sure that's a good thing for most folks). My husband had the hanger steak, which was also cooked perfectly and was great. The vegetable sides (broccolini and mashed potatoes) were cooked perfectly and were a great compliment to the meal. We had squid as an appetizer and it is the most amazing squid we have ever eaten-- tender, tasty, delicious and perfect. The wine was tasty, dessert fabulous. We were celebrating an anniversary and they left us a hand written card and put a candle in our dessert!

The only thing I would have changed was the location of our table-- we were placed in a side room sort of behind the kitchen, so we couldn't watch the chefs cooking. Next time I'd request a table in the main dining room. We both left saying we wished we had room to eat two meals at once, because the fish on the menu also looked delicious!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Singapore
“Maine's Pride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

It's one of the restaurants I visit whenever I visit Maine.

It's an institution of Maine. The best local producers finds their produce in Fore Street's menu. They serve the best roasted Banger's Island Mussels.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent food, location. Service level doesn't match the food quality.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I'll start by saying I had about one of the best meals I've had in a long time (definitely doesn't top Five Fifty Five on Congress St. though) at Fore Street. I was pleasantly greeted upon entering and given the time a table would be ready. This was nice, versus a time frame. I sat in the bar with my guest and had a glass of wine. Service in the bar area was great. Polite, efficient. Drinks were definitely overpriced.

My meal was truly unbelievable. I had the trio of pates/foie gras for an appetizer. Very good, I highly recommend this if you are a foie gras fan. I followed with the Duck breast as my main entree. The Duck was really very good. I asked the waitress how the chef recommended the duck be cooked and she replied, "Medium". The Duck I received was a little closer to Medium/Well. Other than that it was very good, however when spending as much as you are in this restaurant you expect everything to be perfect.

The waitress suggested to us that we only order 1 Veggie to accompany our meal as it's enough to share. When we received the fiddleheads we ordered, it was in the smallest little cup I've ever seen. She apologized and we ordered a 2nd, but she wasn't aware that this dish was smaller than the rest.

In a restaurant of this class, I've already mentioned that I would expect things to be at a certain level. I'm a Hospitality Management School graduate with a concentration in Restaurant Management. One thing I know not to do is spray down a table with cleaner with someone eating at the table next to you! This happened continuously throughout our meal and all I could hear was the noise that spray bottle kept making. What is this McDonald's? That was really the only true "service issue" I had, however it's such a big one I only rated the service a 3. It's such a simple common sense thing, it amazes me they don't do it differently.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Great food, fantastic service, beautiful atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

What a beautiful restaurant! The open kitchen was a lot of fun to watch. We were there for a 5:45pm reservation, and the beautiful sun illuminated the entire restaurant. Our server was prompt and we never had to wonder where he was, all of our needs were anticipated, thus made a stress-free dinner. For dinner I had the Atlantic Cod with a apple bacon aioli. It was fantastic. My husband, a lamb fanatic, was thrilled with his choice! Dessert was great as well. The total bill including 2 entrees, 3 glasses of wine, 2 desserts & tip was $130. We are already planning our next trip to Portland so we can go back!

Newport News, Virginia
“Hanger Steak and Ribeye were superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

I had the pleasure of dining at Fore Street on a Sunday April 5th. I was vacationing in town with my wife after seven months in Kuwait. We had a no dificulties getting a reservation 5 days in advance. We showed up a little early for our 7 pm reservation. We were promtly seated and were givin plenty of time to order. The waitress was excellent and so was the food. I had the hanger steak with black eyed peas and my wife had a huge ribeye steak. Both steaks were cooked as ordered. We received extra bread while we waited. The atmosphere was nice. It was very warm on a rather chilly evening and we got to watch the chefs prepare the salads and other dishes from our table. We had a nice bottle of Merlot with dinner and the garlic mashed potatoes were outstanding. My wife and I enjoyed a nice romantic dinner. It is conveniently located just around the block from the Regency Hotel. If you are looking for a romance I recommend the Old Port section of Portland Maine.