“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Fore Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 540 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Eclectic
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Franklin and Pearl
Bar Harbor, Maine
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Had dinner here last time I was in Portland. I have always loved this place. It never disappoints.

The setting is great. The drinks are spot on. On occasion I will come just to have a drink at the bar. The service is consistently good.

The food is very good. I wouldnt say they are taking lots of risks with "out there" menu choices. But that is fine. Not everything has to be "cutting edge" all the time. Sometimes its nice to have good food done exceptionally well on a consistent and reliable basis. I often feel as though other places i frequent could learn from that.

Its always good to have a reliable go-to when you are in Portland.

Louisville, Kentucky
“Impeccable Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a truly first class restaurant, as good as any in NYC, Chicago, SF or LA. The atmosphere and the service are outstanding, and the food is as good as it gets. I had the oysters sampler , the fettuccine appetizer and the hanger steak. If you go with this combo, you can't go wrong. The fettuccine, by the way, was the best I have ever had.

Others had a the smoked char appetizer, halibut and the hake.

The wine list could be deeper and more varied.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“One of the best meals I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Great location, great view, wonderful food. I found the server to be a little bit unfriendly but that didn't stop us from enjoying the meal. When we got there one of the girls asked the waiter to bring us a special shot or mini cocktail (we were there for a bachelorette party) and he said "we're not that kind of place." Totally understand they don't want people getting drunk and acting crazy, but it was 5:30pm and we were just trying to start the night off with a toast to our friend. We got both red and white wine - they were both good.

Anyway... we got several appetizers, all of which were amazing. I got the scallops entree - they were delicious. Would definitely go back again... just don't order shots. Worth the splurge (about $80/person including shared apps, entree, drinks, desserts, tip)

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bar Harbor, Maine, United States
“Worth every penny, one of the best meals I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I met up in Portland for a few days and we are both in the restaurant industry and love food. We wanted to go out to a nice dinner and everyone we talked to recommended Fore Street. We were super excited that the menu changes daily and it did not disappoint! Our server, Brian, was phenomenal! He took complete care of us and service was impeccable. Every item we had was spot on, from the raw platter to duck breast and that delectable chocolat cake. Any time I'm in Portland I am certainly coming back! Thank you for such a wonderful experience!

Gulf Coast
“Very Nice Room and Food is Nice Also”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were seated by a window which was a good spot. Our server was very attentive without being intrusive and friendly enough. Food was very good although they were out of one of the fish dishes we ordered which was disappointing. Atmosphere was lively but we were able to hold a conversation without any problems. Overall, a nice experience and a nice meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Food