“Great food and ambience - shame about the service!!” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Fore Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 540 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Eclectic
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Franklin and Pearl
Maine, New York
“Great food and ambience - shame about the service!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife and I visited this last week and honestly, were very disappointed by the service of our server. First she seemed put out that I was drinking water only - not normal for me I confess, but I had surgery scheduled the following morning - so after my wife starting with a glass of sparkling, tried to push a bottle on her afterwards - totally inappropriate.

Then came the service during the meal - inattentive and cursory enquiry as to whether we enjoyed it or not. Now, the food was excellent, we had three courses each - really went for it! All of our dishes were good. My wife had a selection of wines by the glass, and port with her cheese - all excellent. Should be noted here that actually we probably spent more on the glasses of wine and my San Pellegrino than we would have on a full bottle - server take note!!

Then came the bill.............and the biggest disappointment of the evening. The server had added extra coffees, and dessert to our bill. Call me suspicious, but when challenged all she could manage was a 'thank you for checking the bill for me' comment......mmm, not sure I believed her sincerity. She would have known that there were two desserts on the bill as the kitchen would have prepared them per her input - so very odd!

So food good, check your bill carefully - and I hope you get a different server than us!!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Ogunquit, Maine
“Eat here if you want to be insulted!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We eat at Fore street quite often. The food is very good, however the attitude is ridiculous! We ordered mussels to start, as we do EVERY time we go. They were way under cooked and most of them not even open. We told the server of the situation he had an attitude and snatched them away from us. the hostess comes over and begins to explain that the mussels they buy are different and better and that's why they "appear" to be under done and its not what I'm use to and they will have them cooked more for us. In a real condescending way she was basically telling me they were cooked and I was wrong. I eat Bang Island Mussels all the time and I know the difference between raw and cooked mussels. I had no problem with them being under done, it happens, get them back in the oven and it's fine. They way I was treated and spoken to really pissed me off and ruined the entire tables experience. I will never eat there again. I'm a firm believer the customer is "not" always right, however don't speak to or treat guests like its a privilege to dine there. Many guests have commented on this site about the way they are treated, maybe it's time to change the way you treat your guests

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing food, great environment.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Every time I am in Portland I make a reservation for dinner at Fore St. During our first visit we ordered a sun choke side dish which we had never heard of before - It was so delicious we found some to plant in our yard! Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out how to make them as good as Fore St. I love knowing that I am going to try something new when we have dinner here.

• Visited April 2013
UK
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We came to Fore Street as visitors to Portland from the UK. The food, setting and service was excellent. The prices are expensive but you are paying for the experience and food. We enjoyed the fish and the appetisers and our waiter from Nebraska was very friendly and helpful. A great experience!

• Visited May 2013
Sharon, Massachusetts
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

One of the best meals we've had anywhere. Great service too. Definitely try the mussels and save room for dessert!

• Visited May 2013