“I would highly recommend this Inn for a quiet retreat for a single person or for a couple.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn On Carleton

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Inn On Carleton
You added Inn On Carleton to your Saves list
46 Carleton Street, Portland, ME 04102   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Portland B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
South Dartmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

We picked this spot for an overnight getaway and were not disappointed. This is a well-maintained, beautifully decorated inn, offering warm hospitality. It is in a nice location for exploring the city on foot. The gourmet breakfast was a real treat. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Richardson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

My husband and a great time here. We loved everything about it. Buddy was a wonderful host and chef. For breakfast, we had several choices and it was all delicious. He even offered seconds and thirds. Buddy was full of great suggestions for places to go and things to do. He was just beginning to make changes after buying the inn. I can't wait to return and see how it looks now. This is a great place to stay because of Buddy but also because it's close to so many places.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Wakefield, RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Inn on Carleton. Though we didn't get to meet the innkeeper because he was away, Laura took excellent care of us and made delicious breakfasts (pumpkin pancakes on day 1, and the yummiest scones I've ever had along with veggie omelets on day 2). The inn was cozy and quiet, and Laura was gracious and helpful when my husband and I were trying to figure out what to do in Portland. She even tried to make dinner reservations for us, but the restaurant, Fore Street, didn't have anything available. The inn is a bit far from Old Port, which I knew prior to booking our room, so that was fine.
The only complaint I have is that I specifically chose the room because it has a "soak tub," but the tub was soooo tiny that it wasn't even comfortable to sit in.

Somerville, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

My husband and I came up to Portland for just one night and as soon as we stepped inside the Inn on Carleton I wish I had made reservations for 2 nights instead. Buddy and his colleagues were very hospitable, the room was perfectly made, and breakfast was delicious and the perfect amount of food. We have already talked about going back this summer.

Basking Ridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

Buddy is a FABULOUS innkeeper -- our breakfast this morning should have been on the cover of Gourmet magazine. We stayed in Room 3- huge King Size bed and great bathroom -- slept like babies!!! Buddy had so much great info to share along with the history of the West End of Portland. We had a wonderful stay!!!!

Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

Looking for a weekend of pure nothingness and great food, my boyfriend and I booked Valentine's weekend at the Inn on Carleton. Room 1 was exactly what I needed, complete with claw-foot bathtub for my sought-after bubble bath. Buddy cooks up some spectacular breakfasts (e.g., French toast souffle), but it was hard to choose between staying in the divinely comfortable bed and going down to pamper the taste buds. The Inn is conveniently located 15 minutes walk from the Old Port area and all of the spectacular dining that has made Portland a foodie destination. We will definitely be back to the Inn on Carleton for more relaxation in the years to come.

Pelham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

We could not have chosen a better place to stay in Portland... The owner, Buddy, was charming and very helpful, and had a number of great dining and sightseeing recommendations for us when we asked. Our room was warm, comfortable, and looked newly updated. We slept fabulous on a large queen bed with soft linens, and had a huge bathroom with a clawfoot tub and private shower. There were warm cookies, coffee, and cocoa available all night in the lobby. The location was perfect, tucked in a quiet neighborhood but only a short walk to downtown Portland (we suggest the Art Museum on Friday, it's free after 5:00 PM and has a surprisingly large collection). Breakfast rounded out a perfect evening, homemade scones, granola, and blueberry bread french toast... needless to say, we are already planning our trip back!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn On Carleton? Share your experiences!