“If you're going to eat a donut...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 552 Restaurants in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Boston, Massachusetts
“If you're going to eat a donut...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

....this is a "don't miss". Not your chain store donut. Donuts are fresh, all natural, and delicious. I went safe with a cinnamon sugar, but there are some very unique choices if you want to try something different. Very comfy atmosphere if you want to sit awhile with a cup of coffee.
I'll be back!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

tennessee
“Very Unique...Very Tasty...All Natural”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

During our recent Christmas visit to Portland, we came across this very unique donut shop after having experienced some very bad chain donuts. This locally owned, all natural ingredients donut shop became an instant favorite. At first glance, the idea of donuts made from Maine potatoes didn't set well with my southern taste. Boy was I wrong. These cake type donuts were moist and tasty and if I didn't read the sign, I would never have imagined they were made from potatoes and other all natural ingredients. Even the names, Chocolate and Sea salt, Chai and bacon and cheddar, didn't sound like what a donut should be. Kudos to a very creative owner. They were all delicious. The only issue we had was we were raised on hot fresh from the cooker donuts. When we asked if they were hot, we were greeted with a look that said hot donuts was not so much an issue here. However, to our surprise and reward, when we pressed the issue, the owner cooked us a fresh one so it would be hot. I don't know of anywhere they would make you a donut on request. Thank you so much. We visited the store in the old part of downtown just one block from our hotel. The setting is delightful with a few tables and a few couches and all of the local papers to read. Add a cup of local coffee or hot chocolate and you have the perfect start to any day. Do yourself a favor and don't miss this spot.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Uxbridge
“Bacon & cheddar hand pie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

These donuts are not your off the shelf fried rings. The potato flour makes the texture different and the don't seem to be as sweet as the donuts your use to. They have some unusual flavors like chocolate and sea salt (my wife's favorite) and chocolate and coconut they also have some of the old stand by so go try some. The price is a bit higher then the chain donut places but they are worth it. Now the big finish and my favorite is the bacon and cheddar hand pie. This is sort of an old fashion donut made into a pocket and filled with delicious bacon and cheddar cheese. I can't say enough good things about these pies. Yum.

Visited December 2013
Woodstock, New York
“Simply sublime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Imagine warm chocolate sea salt donuts. Sweetness of chocolate with the tang of salt. True yin/yang taste sensation. This is from one who does not normally eat or like donuts. Delicious does not even describe how good they were.

Portland, Maine
“Holy Donut - Holy Cow !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I've been meaning to write this review for some time.... have been here about a dozen times since they opened a couple of years ago. Holy Donut has become so popular that they've opened a new location in Portland's Old Port. They also now do retail sales in that they have accounts with several other foodie businesses in the area... attesting to their quality product and increased popularity. They use good quality products and make their donuts on site daily: prices are therefore a bit steeper than mass-produced competitors. But they make gluten-free donuts, too... and offer unusual flavor varieties and combinations in plain, sugared and glazed versions. They also make a cheddar bacon "donut" which is more like a pocket, actually- this one is quite popular (I liked it, but found it to be a bit too greasy for me).

Last year there were two occasions in which I happened to stop in to Holy Donut around their closing time, which I think is 3pm. A very friendly man behind the counter offered me free donuts, both times. This is because they don't sell day-old products the next morning, and he was trying to make sure that donuts left over for the day did not go to waste. I thought this was very generous, and I thanked him.... and said it would be written up in my TripAdvisor review. So here it is.... having finally gotten to writing it.

I'll continue to support this business. It has become something of an institution here, and they are growing... as evidenced by the increased staff presence in their flagship shop, as well as their expansion into the retail market.

• Visited December 2013