“When is Chowder Chowder?” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #52 of 540 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Description: It's not technically a restaurant, but the baked goods, sandwiches, service, and choices are enough to warrant it a spot on Trip Advisor.
Portland, Maine
“When is Chowder Chowder?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I do like going to Aurora for lunch, but a few times lately I have ordered food that turned out to be completely different than what I thought it would be. Ex: Secret ingredient in the chicken salad is occasionally bleu cheese. Today I ordered sweet potato chowder that looked ( and tasted) like chunky tomato soup. They will certainly shoot me attitude when I ask them for a list of ingredients - but better than me throwing the meal away. And yes - ATTITUDE - is what you get from most of the staff.

Visited November 2013

“I feel like a ghost..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

when I visit Aurora Provisions. I have purchased items from this establishment on a number of occasions - lunch, a frozen meal to go, desserts or just a bottle of wine. Each time, I have a very hard time attracting the attention of the wait staff, even when I am the only one in the store, even when the staff isn't engaged in private conversation. Sometimes I just put my stuff down and leave. It is like I am invisible, maybe I am not wearing the right outfit?

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
austria
“So Many Options!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We loved Aurora Provisions!!! I do have to say right off that it isn´t cheap. But the food is creative and delicious. They have a wide variety of baked goods, sandwiches, wraps, and a fantastic section where you can mix a variety different salads and meats...such as baked squash, couscous salad, grilled tofu, marinated steak, baked fish etc. They also have fresh baked bread from the best bakery in town, great cofee and espresso drinks, a selection of wine, beer and special cheeses. AND many other things!!! It has something for everone so people with different tastes will find something they like. It´s a great place to sit and enjoy an afternoon in a great neighborhood. I wish it were in my neighborhood!!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Maine
“Great neighborhood cafe and market”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The addition of fresh vegetables, flowers and produce makes Aurora even a better visit. Small but excellent wine selection, Belgian chocolate, Standard Bakery bread, sandwiches, coffee, take out or eat there entrees, dessert, and did I mention parking?

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
USA
“Great sandwiches and soups”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I tried the turkey cranberry sandwich. Delicious. Fresh bread and turkey sliced right off the bird. Everything you need for dinner is sold there

• Visited August 2013