“Nice enough” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Portland
Hollis, New Hampshire
“Nice enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at the Portland Harbor Hotel for our anniversary.

Pros:
The hotel is in a great location. It was central to all the shopping and downtown restaurants. We walked everywhere, and never needed our car. If anything was too far, there was a complimentary town car service. The concierge service was a nice touch. He was very knowledgable and recommended places for dinner. The hotel was very clean (kudos to the housekeeping staff) and tastefully decorated.

Cons:
We booked our room through the hotel when they were running a deal. I don't think we could have afforded it otherwise. We were in a queen room. It was clean, but very very small. The bed was TERRIBLY uncomfortable. We woke up with sore backs each morning. At night, the outside, street noise was really loud. It woke us up several times. I guess the noise wouldn't have bothered us so much had we been sleeping on a more comfortable bed. But the two combined for a restless night.

Overall, the hotel was beautiful, and in a perfect location in downtown Portland.

Perhaps a suite would offer a more peaceful, comfortable nights sleep...if you can afford it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GKiladjian, General Manager at Portland Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for the compliments about the Staff. We share all TripAdvisor reviews with our team because we take pride in what we do. Your compliments are greatly appreciated.

I regret that you did not have a good night sleep. Our beds are high quality custom mattresses made by a very well known brand and were recently replaced throughout the hotel in February 2013.

We offer many specials during the winter months, including special offers on suites. Please visit our website frequently or sign up for our newsletter to take advantage of our special offers.

We thank you for staying with us and we greatly appreciate your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

The Portland Harbor Hotel is close to everything! We parked our car on Friday night and didn't use it again til we left on Sunday. The staff was super helpful and very friendly. The turndown service with chocolates was a nice touch.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay at the Portland Harbor Hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed it, and the chocolates too. We look forward to seeing you again.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Well maintained with friendly efficient staff.Great location. Wish I could have stayed longer.I definitely would return.I had to cut my visit short and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.I've stayed in other hotels in Portland but this is by far the best.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Portland Harbor Hotel. We also hope that next time you can stay longer. We look forward to seeing you again.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to staying with my wife in a 2013 Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence hotel. The Portland Harbor Hotel promotes this fact at their hotel as well as their website. This hotel is very nice and our room was well-decorated and clean. However, my issues are more with the attitude of the staff and management which are not consistent with a premier hotel. We only had one night in Portland and it was my wife's birthday. I called the concierge earlier in the day asking for a restaurant recommendation and she recommended a restaurant outside of the Old Port District. I was surprised the concierge did not recommend the hotel's restaurant which we understand is highly regarded. The restaurant hostess acted as though we did not have a reservation and after a considerable wait we were finally shown to an unacceptable table (a subject for another review). We left the restaurant and eventually had a substandard meal at restaurant close to the hotel. Upon our return to the hotel, we did go to the front desk manager and explained what had happened. While she was sympathetic, she couldn't explain why the concierge didn't even suggest their own restaurant and made no effort of any kind to address our poor experience. When we checked out the next morning we were not asked if we enjoyed our stay. Upon our return home, we received a survey which I completed very thoroughly explaining my issues with the concierge while also complimenting the valets who were very good. That was over six weeks ago and I have not received any response from the hotel manager. Based on our stay, the hotel concierge, staff and manager are not concerned in providing an exceptional customer experience.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GKiladjian, General Manager at Portland Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I agree with you, our staff should recommend our restaurant. However, many of our guests get upset when we suggest Eve's at the Garden when the reason for their inquiry was to find information about other local options. We will address the issue with our team. We regret your experience with a local restaurant was not satisfactory. I will also look for your survey and apologize for not being in touch sooner. Please feel free to call me directly with any of your concerns.

Thank you again for your business. We hope to see you again soon.
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Portland Harbor Hotel is centrally-located with nice clean rooms and a friendly staff. I only stayed for one night but I would definitely return! Stay in one of the garden-view rooms if you're there for the weekend. You don't hear the street noise.

Room Tip: If you're there over a weekend, get a garden room, you don't hear the noise from the street.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
GKiladjian, General Manager at Portland Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to return. We hope you do too!
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. Shower door seal needs to be replaced but the bed is comfortable and the room is clean. Food is good in dinning room. I have stayed in better but would return and try a different room. Honeymoon suite is where we stayed.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a single night as part of our New England road trip. Payed the same price as our lovely 5* hotel in Boston and twice the price of the previous night in a very good hotel further down the Maine Coast. Don't understand how this can be (we did have a third party book for us & we assumed there'd be a reason for the pricing - now can't understand it!)
Centrally located hotel in pleasant small town. The concierge, David, gave great advice.
The room here was generally fine and the bathroom was a very good size (but the shower leaked) but I have 2 issues.
Firstly, why is it necessary to charge $16 to park. Had I realised I might have tried to save myself this fee. The sum does seem excessive for such a small town. Grumpy valets.
Secondly - noise. The plumbing and heating systems are very noisy with pipes seeming to cross the ceiling but worse than that was the acoustic from our neighbouring room. The occupant was quiet but I could tell what he was watching on TV, when he was using the bathroom and exactly (yes, exactly) what he was doing in there - not good enough!
Finally, the 'turn down' service that we heard (noise again) in the corridor seemed to miss us.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear about the noise from the pipes, we will check into that immediately. The fees for parking are standard for downtown Portland. In our instance we lease the garage space, we do not own those spots. I'll pass along your praise to David, our concierge.

Been to Portland Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!