“Perfect location, beautiful room, but service could use a boost.” 4 of 5 stars

Portland Harbor Hotel
468 Fore Street, Portland, ME 04101   |
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Portland
Norwood, Massachusetts
“Perfect location, beautiful room, but service could use a boost.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We recently stayed at the Portland Harbor Hotel for a quick getaway to enjoy the Old Port during this unseasonably warm winter. The Old Port has so much going for it, outstanding dining, many wonderful cafe's, unique shops and the Portland Harbor Hotel is right in the heart of it all. Our room was one of the jacuzzi suites which over looks the courtyard/garden.
The Positives:
It was a very well appointed room, with the bathroom being the star of the show featuring a 2 person jacuzzi and separate marble shower. They even have a speaker in the bathroom so you can have music as you wash away the day.
We loved the car service to drive us to dinner and pick us up. It allowed us to have a few more drinks with no worries about driving.
Both of the concierges we spoke with were very helpful. They are very much in tune with what's popular and getting good reviews. They will not try to steer you to some tourist trap unless that's what you want.
The Negatives:
The valet staff are clearly understaffed and need a refresher on basic service. No one came around to open my wife's door. The valets are also the ones that drive the shuttle, so you could be in for a long wait.
The rooms feature a cheap laminate style wood flooring. This flooring does create lots of noise and you will hear sounds from the room above.
The walls appear to be rather thin as you will hear a good amount of hallway noise. Hopefully you won't be awoken during the middle of the night by your neighbors in the throes of passion like we were. I thought we were staying next to Meg Ryan's character from When Harry met Sally.
They speak of a wonderful turndown service but they never came to our room.
When we mentioned these issues to the staff the next day at checkout, though they apologized, they made no effort to make us whole. They just hope that we'll return to try again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the courtyard side.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

My cars finish was damaged by a corrosive fluid dripping in their garage, their insurance company estimates it will take 5 weeks to get a check to repair damage. I called Ryan -- to see if he would help me get payment sooner to get the repairs done, would not come to phone or return my calls. This is how you should expect to be helped if you have a problem with their services. Also very loud club next to hotel, banging and yelling can be heard until club closes at 1AM.

Room Tip: Find another hotel in Portland
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin/Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I stayed at Portland Harbor Hotel for business. It's a charming, luxury hotel with a fantastic location. The service was impeccable. The dining room is elegant with excellent food and a nice bar. The valet parking was very convenient.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We stayed here several times. The decor is nice and the rooms are upscale. What has really been great is the concierge service (Dave) who has always been helpful with restaurants and day trips. My wife and I have never been disapointed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

This hotel is quaint, comfortable, and has a upscale residential feel. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quiet and charming.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

A group of friends and I decided to check out the Ice Bar event at the Portland Harbor Hotel this January. A few of them had already been but this was my first time.
Easy ride from Boston, valet parking at the hotel, took us maybe 4 minutes to check in with the amazingly polite and helpful Valentyna (I think that was her name, sorry if I'm wrong). She gave me my rooms keys, tickets to the event and two drink tickets. No bad for about $200.
Hit the room and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Two large beds topped fantastic bedding. The bed was ridiculously comfortable. The bathroom was spacious with a separate shower stall right next to the tub.
I noticed a 'this is a no smoking floor' sign on one of the floors but there was no scent of smoke anywhere in the hotel.
Unfortunately we had to roll early in the morning so I cant comment on the housekeeping but if its in line with the rest of the service then I can only imagine it is fantastic. Woke up to a local paper outside the room and fresh coffee in the lobby. How can you beat that?
I would definitely go back and most likely will even if its just for the Ice Bar next January.
The event itself was pretty fun. It was very very crowded though, my friends and I stayed for a couple of beverages and then sought indoor activities for the rest of the night.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

great hotel. Location was convenient. All of the staff I came into contact with were very helpful and friendly. I arrived very late and the front desk staff was absolutely great. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Portland Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!