“Great location, very clean and comfortable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Percy Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Percy Inn
You added The Percy Inn to your Saves list
15 Pine Street, Portland, ME 04102   |
Ranked #11 of 13 Portland B&B and Inns
Emerald City
“Great location, very clean and comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2007

Our family just returned from a wonderful experience at the Percy Inn. We took the whole third floor for our family of four. We could have gotten away with just "The Pine Wood Suite" but it was nice to have the adjoining room. The "Suite' had a nicely equipped kitchenette that made it easy to have meals in or bring back food to the room.

The rooms were exceptionally clean and very comfortable. There were a variety of magazines in the rooms, M&M's by the night stand, and the sodas in the fridge that made each room extremely inviting.
I thought the candles were a nice touch. If you didn't like your fragrance you could go to the third floor and make a selection from their stock.

Our bathrooms were very spacious, clean and the towels were thick and good size. They provided shampoo, conditioner and other goodies that one might need but couldn't bring thru airport security and needed the first night.

Our children enjoyed the breakfast as did their parents. The muffins and breakfast breads could have been considered dessert as they were that wonderful. I like the basket of warm, hard boiled eggs that was provided each morning. There were three kinds of juice, milk as well as coffee and a nice selection of teas.

There were so many extras that one does find at a hotel....a nice selection of traditional board games, snacks and beverages available in the pantry 24hrs, over 300 dvds to bring back to the room to watch, maps and destination ideas in the front room.

I had to laugh when I read over the other reviews though, when I saw complaints about the lack of bottled water. Does no one drink water from the tap these days? There were plenty of glasses in each room. Maybe the Inn needs to put a sign in each room that reminds guests that the water is also complimentary.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — snow on the sidewalks leading up to the Inn
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Greenville, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2006

Never saw the Innkeeper and never saw a bill. The maid gave us directions up the extremely steep stairs - upon my return home, I complained via email to the Innkeeper -- he was very rude in his response to my complaint. Overpriced; bad neighborhood bar; small room; steep stairs and generally a big disappointment. Loved Maine - disliked the Percy Inn.

• Liked — Good resturant nearby called "Ufal"
  • Disliked — Steep stairs
  • Tips/Secrets — get full disclosure regarding handicap facilities/prices/neighborhood
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

We arrived in Portland late afternoon with no booked accommodation. On visiting the local tourist information they recommended the Percy inn and kindly assisted booking the room for us.
On arrival at the Inn - what a pleasant suprise! Tasteful decor and comfortable room. The pantry and 'tea' areas inspired.
The breakfasts were beautifully presented and a joy. Location good for the city with excellent local restaurants/bars. Innkeeper Dale was very helpful and my wife and I have no hesitation in recommending the Percy Inn.
Dale, keep up the good work..

Stayed October 2006
Florence, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2006

During a week-long trip along the beautiful Maine coast we had a chance to stay at two truly wonderful B&B's in Camden (Abigail's) and Bar Harbor (Maples Inn). These are run by people relatively new as innkeepers and their excitement in their new venture was evident in their genuine, warm hospitality. Hearty breakfasts (French toast with cream cheese, blueberry waffles and even a souffle!), crisp cotton sheets on comfortable beds and a total focus on the comfort of their guests. After these two incredible B&B's, our stay at the Percy Inn in Portland was a shock. The innkeeper (Dale) seemed detached and somewhat jaded in his interaction with us. Very cold and inpersonable. The breakfasts were sliced fruit and bags of store-bought scones and bagels. The bed was very uncomfortable with slippery sheets that were at least 50% polyester. Across the street is Portland's main gay bar and patrons loudly gather in the parking lot next to the Percy Inn until the wee hours. It was dreadful. Learn from our experience and avoid this terrible place!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Innkeeper
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid this terrible place!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Philly
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2006

Paid close to $200 for a just average B&B. Had to climb trecherous steps up to third floor with many bags-----wish we had known that ahead of time! Although our room was charming and roomy, it was across street from noisy bar, which kept us awake each night. Breakfast looked good, but turned out to be stale scones, muffins and even cereal was stale. My husband would have preferred a bar of soap......not liquid soap. Good location to museum and many good restaurants.

Stayed September 2006
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2006

My husband and I concluded our trip through Maine and Canada at the Percy Inn. The inn was clean and charming however it had no warmth expected of a B&B. At check in we just happened to catch one of the cleaning staff who directed us to our envelope with our name on it before rushing out. We did not meet the inn keeper until we checked out two days later, in fact, I'm not even sure he was the innkeeper or not, he never specified so I just assumed it was him.
Our room was very nice and fairly spacious however it was not all as was promised. On the website, in the e mail confirmation and during booking I was promised a minifridge stocked with a variety of beverages including soda and bottled water. There are also several mentions of the Ralph Lauren towels. Upon arrivial there were only a few cans of Pepsi and Diet Pepsi, no bottled water or any other choices besides cola. I would never complain about something like this but I cannot have caffeine so I was not able to "enjoy" this feature. I found a can of ginger ale in a cabinet so I drank that. What was also funny about this feature was that if you took a can of soda with you, outside of the room, you will be charged about $1.50 for the soda, but it would remain free if the empty cans were found in the trash in the room. If they are complimentry, they should be complimentary no matter where you drink them. And the Ralph Lauren towels weren't Ralph Lauren towels but Wamsutta, which are still great buy why would you boast about something that you do not have in the first place? The bedsheets were very nice and soft , definitely high quality, but the bed was uncomfortable because of the ill fitting bed pad that shifted with every movement.
Breakfast at the Percy Inn was simply pitiful. It consisted of some fresh fruit, stale muffins and scones, a basket of hard boiled eggs, warm juices and coffee, again no decaf. We went down the block to Hot Supa for breakfast the next day, which was GREAT. The location was not that great and there were so many crack heads walking around the neighborhood, coming from NYC I'm used to it but I don't want that on my vacation.
What I did like about the Percy Inn was that it was very clean and had cute little pantries on each floor with limited snacks and teas and coffee available 24 hours a day. I liked that they provided scented candles in each room. I liked the selection of VHS tapes in the first floor parlor. And my favorite and what I think was the smartest thing to have in any B&B was behind the parlor door there were maps and directions to many area attractions. It was very helpful. Also, they made great food recommendations. Nice, but just not what a B&B should be.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

If you are looking for a change from the bland brand name hotels you should seriously consider the percy inn. If your the kind of person who is pretty self-sufficent and private you will be left to your own devices here with little or no intrusion. Fortunatetly i am that kind of person so i found the intimacy and homeliness of the guesthouse a major plus.

People should bear in mind that this is not a hotel and thus the innkeeper is rarely visible after the 11am check out time but that is not a complaint in my book because unlike some people i realise im staying in a private guesthouse instead of a full service hotel.

The house dates to 1830 and has a lot of charachter as each individual room is called after famous poets. The percy does the little things well. In the living room there is a a video libary with over 400 titles. There is also a piano. Every room has video/dvd players and cd players as well as small fridges with soft drinks.

The Percy is about 15/20 minute walk to the old port where all the nighlife and tourist action is and there is plently of options for breakfast in the area thus you are not restricted to the limited breakfast at the guesthouse which ends at 10am and is average at best.

That being said i wouldnt hesitate to stay here again and recommend it to all and sundry. Ill be back

Jason English
Boston

• Liked — Being left alone as i value my privacy
  • Disliked — The breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — Call for last minute rates. You can save a lot
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo

Been to The Percy Inn? Share your experiences!