“Excellent lobster roll” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 552 Restaurants in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: CLOSED MONDAY , OPEN TUESDAY 12-3 WED-THURS 12-6 FRI-SAT 12-9 SUNDAY 12-6 THANKS ! FEEL FREE TO CALL I WILL CLOSE IF I RUN OUT OF FOOD
Corvallis, Oregon
“Excellent lobster roll”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Our goal driving through Maine was to eat as much seafood as possible. This place was our first stop. On Yelp it is rated #1. It is a tiny shop with limited seating, but worked great. We had a lobster roll, and seafood chowder. The seafood chowder was well made. The staff did a great job of helping us pick out options and give us tips on the area.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Great Food, Scenic View with Outdoor Entertainment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Ran across the place when our cruise ship docked in Portland. It's like a fast food place but way better. The service is quick, the wait for the food just depends on the traffic, but the wait is worth it. Lobster, and all the fixens' along with a cold brew. The seating is almost all outdoors, on the dock facing the bay or river. To make it even better they had a music group that was so-so on the singing but the guitars were decent. I rated it a 5 mainly for the food and the atmosphere. I found it very romantic. Enjoy

• Visited October 2013
Cathedral City, CA
“Fresher than Fresh, Go Just for the Fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Who cares about romantic candlelight, fancy china, obsequious waiters or ocean views when you can get fish this good cooked to order and served by the chef on paper plates and Styrofoam dishes? My wife and I picked Fishermen's Grill on a hunch and its great T/A reviews for an early pre-theater dinner on a cold December Sunday evening. We got the one vacant table (there are only four in total) and then ordered at the counter. We had intended only a light supper, but just couldn't resist the chowder, the fried clams, the broiled sea scallops, the crab roll and the onion rings - "A buffet!", said the chef, as he tried to fit it all on our small table. Everything was superb and the portions were generous. We finished it all except for the crab roll, which we reluctantly decided to save for Monday night at home.

Our standards for seafood are very high - mine for sea scallops go back to years in the Coast Guard when we sometimes towed disabled scallopers back to port from their offshore fishing grounds and they would toss us a bag of scallops in appreciation. The scallops at Fishermen's Grill were just as good, and I have no higher praise than that. And the chowder, clams and crab roll (yes, we did have a tiny taste) were just as good.

Another nice touch was that when we ordered onion rings the chef showed us the actual onions he would cook for us - nothing frozen or pre-prepared here except for the ketchup and tartar sauce!

Portland has many great restaurants but none we've found as good as Fishermen's Grill for perfect fresh seafood.

• Visited December 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Overpriced..Soup”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

My mom and I visited for lunch and I must admit that it was nothing to write home about. We both ordered lobster rolls Connecticut style, an order of shrimp and a cup of clam chowder. The lobster rolls were blah and the meat was a little to rubbery. I expected to have amazing lobster considering the location but no dice. The breading on the "popcorn" shrimp was not at all good. The best part was the chowder and the water. $60 bucks (cash only) for lunch and trying to stay warm...

While we were placing our order the chef yelled out to the guy at the counter that we need to move it along. I thought this was completely rude considering there was one other person in line behind us and we were by no means taking an extraordinary amount of time. Besides I am not sure what the rush is considering there is nowhere to sit besides outside. They really should consider enclosing the outside or at least providing heaters.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Perfection in Portland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I had read about it, but after living here for 2 years I absolutely HAD to find it. Everyone else had raved about Fishermen's Grill and I was missing the Fishermen's boat.
It's not easy to spot, as it's very small, but it is well worth the effort. You can have your fancy-schmancy spots in the Old Port, the places with an ocean view, but when you're really ready for some great seafood, this is a MUST TRY.
We had haddock, fried clams, onion rings and clam chowder. The Best of everything. As a fried clam-a-holic, I know my clams. I will never eat them anywhere else again. I don't know the secret and I don't care, this is fried clam perfection!
We watched the onion rings being sliced as soon as we ordered them. How you can make them that good, again, I just don't care, but we are so glad we found this wonderful oasis of fishiness.

Yes, it's tiny, 4 tables inside. It's winter here so we didn't want to dine al fresco, but it was just a delightful lunch that turned into dinner.

The clam chowder, which the owner, Mike, shared with us, was the absolute best ever. I mentioned that he should can and label it. It's that good. Plenty of inferior brands sell their clam chowder. What a wonderful gift it would be for my friends and family from away to have some of this deliciousness from time to time.

Not fancy, just wonderful. Don't miss this place when you're in Portland. You'll want to thank me for sending you in the right direction!

• Visited November 2013