“Good Hotel-Bit of Funky Smell in Room” 4 of 5 stars

Double HHonors Points
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, IL
“Good Hotel-Bit of Funky Smell in Room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Good hotel, well appointed for a Hampton Inn. Room was spotless, and well apportioned, however had a strange smell, redolent of onion perhaps in combination with some cheap cleaning agent. Opened the window while I had dinner and the smell was mostly gone on my return. Prevents me giving the hotel a five star review, otherwise a perfectly good place to stay.

Would mention that the views of the harbor are such that one is looking across the harbor at some large fuel storage tanks on the other side. So I would probably not opt for the extra expense of a harbor view room on the top floor on a future stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
newtomaine12, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Hi and thank you for your nice review. I wasn't sure if you had our hotel when you mentioned opening windows, since ours do not open, but the review was good. If the review was for our hotel I thank you, and please come see us again. If not please come see us sometime.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Even better than a normal Hampton stay. They room was quite large, spotless and the location can't be beat. Friendly folks to top it all off. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
newtomaine12, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Thanks for the kind words on your stay with us. Please do come stay again. We appreciate your comments and your business.

Westfield, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

This place must have been recently renovated. Everything was clean, well done design. Great staff. Loved our room. Great value in my opinion. Location was perfect for dinner and drinks in downtown Porltand. Very good buffet breakfast. Staff kept breakfast area clean even during heavy traffic. Would recommend to both business and family travelors.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind review. Please come back and see us again soon. We appreciate your business.

San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I booked a room at this hotel based strictly on the reviews I read on this site, and was definitely not disappointed. The location was great, a relatively quick walk to the waterfront, though if you drive just a few blocks away, it gets seedy quick. And you may have to walk, considering the only on-site parking is a $15 valet. But our room was very nice and comfortable, and included free internet service for our laptop. The pool is small but clean (no jacuzzi), as is the gym. Both had plenty of clean towels. Breakfast was nice, typical for this type of hotel but definitely no complaints here. There were several large groups of teenagers staying at the hotel (presumably traveling sports teams), but I never heard a peep when I was in my room. I would definitely stay here again.

Bologna, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

The hotel is located in a central and very nice location, close to the waterfront and to the center of the city. The rooms are clean, nice, modern and spacious. The breakfast is good and various. The staff is kind , helpful and very professional. I dont' really have any regret or complain, to be honest. Everythings was perfect, even the price. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
newtomaine12, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review. We look forward to having you stay with us in the near future.

San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

This was an absolutely beautiful hotel. The lobby and all amenities were amazing, and the room was one of the best I've ever seen. Either this is a new hotel or it's been recently renovated, as everything is modern and new. I highly recommend this hotel. There is also a brewery directly attached to the hotel that was open till 1am on a Wednesday. Perfect for after traveling. Great location right near the waterfront, too.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

the hotel was very new . rooms spacious and clean .Pool clean and fairly warm for a hotel pool . Breakfast selection good pity about plastic cutlery and paper plates, no good for the enviroment . Staff in the hotel friendly and helpful, apart from the bar and restaurant staff. After purchasing a drink in the bar I was accosted by one of the staff screaming at me as I went to take it up to my room that I couldn't. Never have I stayed in a hotel were you are unable to take a drink up to your room. Spoilt what had up until that point been a nice stay . Also valet parking at $15 a joke a guy drives your car 2 yards into the car park job creation I suppose.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
newtomaine12, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Hi. My name is Pete Wagner and I am the General Manager of the Hampton Inn-Downtown Portland. I wanted to thank you for your comments concerning the hotel and thank you for staying with us.

I also wanted to address two items that you mentioned in your review. The first is parking. The hotel does not own the parking lot that we offer to our guests. We lease the lot. The valet should have expalined to you the lot is one option that you have for parking. There are other lots in the area and street parking is available normally during this time of year. If he did not explain that to you, and my guess is he didn't, I apologize to you.

Sebago is the restaurant next to us. We have a common door, as you well know, but we are not owned or management by the same folks. Because we are not one facility, they are not permitted to allow alcohol (open) to leave their restaurant. I'm sure it has to do with local liquor laws. That being said, that doesn't give anyone the right to be rude to you. I will certainly share your comments with the management folks at Sebago.

I hope we have the opportunity to be of service to you in the near future.

Been to Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront? Share your experiences!