“What's the Hype?” 3 of 5 stars

207.772.8242
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Zapoteca Restaurante & Tequileria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 540 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
“What's the Hype?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had dinner here last night, I was beyond disappointed! I had heard mixed reviews from friends. The atmosphere was nice, and service was good, however, the food was flavorless and bland. We ordered a carnitas dish, which came out obviously molded and reheated in a muffin tin. It was not appealing in any way. I would not go back!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Portland, Maine
“Average experience, but very good food and drinks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I've been to Zapoteca twice now. I enjoyed my food, but I can't quite bring myself to really love this place. The drinks are great and the food is quite good. It's just that on my first visit the restaurant was incredibly loud and on my second visit I felt rushed. On that second visit we had two rounds of drinks, appetizers, entrees, and desserts in exactly 60 minutes. Way too fast. We had a relatively early reservation and there were plenty of empty tables when we left, so I don't know why the waitress didn't make a greater effort to pace the meal better. Also, our waitress, while not the worst in the world, literally read me the specials from the board that was right in front of me, as we sat in the corner table and my seat faced the specials board. It was awkward.

My experiences at Zapoteca can be described as average, but the food and drinks are very good. I'd say it's worth a try if you want high-end Mexican food, but this is not the place to go if you're trying to impress someone, say, on a first date.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Naples, Maine
“Look forward to returning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've been wanting to visit Zapoteca, and finally my husband, who doesn't like 'Mexican food' relented and we went, totally unplanned. We both loved everything we tried, especially the ceviche appetizer - WOW. It was a great evening, and both of us look forward to a return visit to try more of their offerings.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Syracuse, New York, United States
“Definintely a good change of pace for Portland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Definitely not Average and was between Very Good and Excellent. I save Excellent for those places that are too good to miss out on when I'm there... Very knowledgeable waitstaff, friendly, and great great atmosphere. The food was fantastic and not your typical Mexican place with a Portland flare...

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Ckpetunia28 has no clue!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I've never even been to that state, let alone that restaurant. You're extremely rude to rate a restaurant on too busy workers after one experience. It can happen in any place that serves entrees under $100.00 a pop. Try to make sure that people with enough experience and knowledge make $200 dollars a night with your bs $4/hr pay to stick around when you don't know that 50 more than usual people will show up on any given night. It turns into overstaffing and poor pay for your loyal workers who sometimes get tipped less than 20% for perfect service. You're incredibly ignorant. Everyone is a critic, pick something that you actually know about.