“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Petite Jacqueline is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 535 restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Congress
Connecticut
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We went to Petite Jacqueline after going to their sister restaurant, 555, in Portland four times. We absolutely love everything about 555, the food, the service, the setting, the staff. This past Sunday we decided to make reservations and try Petite Jacqueline after reading good reviews. Maybe we hit them on a bad night but our experience was poor to average. Our waitress was poor from the beginning. She had a hard time answering questions about the menu. I had to ask about the poisson of the day....she knew the name of the fish but could not answer anything about the preparation. I ordered it anyway and it was very bland with hardly any sauce. My son had the Boef Bourguignon---tasty but again hardly any liquid.....my husband had the salmon, just average. Our starters were quite good---moule soup, ouef mayonnaise so we were really disappointed with the main courses. Our waitress forgot to replenish the bread after being asked twice, my husband had to ask for flatware. The coffee was good, but my decaf cappucino was lukewarm. But the topper was that it took 1.5 hours for our entrees to appear. We had folks near us who ordered, ate and paid before we received our entrees. When we asked the waitress about entrees she said "oh, they'll be out soon". When I commented on the time past, she said nothing. We were REALLY disappointed in the food and service. And would not go back. I WOULD return to 555 in a heartbeat. When I made reservations for this past Saturday night, I told them how much we enjoyed the waiter we have had on our previous visits and they made sure to seat us in his section!!! What a wonderful touch!

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Newmarket, Canada
“Bon Appetit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful dinner. I had the salmon and he had the 3 course Prix Fixe . The food was on the whole well prepared. The flourless chocolate cake was perfect, it melts in your mouth! It is a small space, with a noisy atmosphere. We were lucky, we were able to get a table without a reservation, but would recommend one just to make sure. Kitty, our server was a delight.
Just a note about someone elses review comment about the aluminum chairs. We found them to be comfortable for the time we were there and the openness of them suited the space.As it is a small space, replacing them with wooden chairs would make the tables seem even closer and the room smaller.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, ME
“Pretty Good but not really noteworthy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I had a good meal, here. The wine was excellent. I had salad nicoise, which was pretty good but not really worth what it cost. My husband had steak. Again, while he enjoyed it, it didn't really seem worth the cost. We sat outside, which we enjoyed, but this seems like a trendy place that perhaps isn't special enough to still be here five years from now.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Enjoyed meal but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Found the food to be very good. Prices were about average for the area. My only issue was that they have some weird aluminum chairs that look like outdoor furniture in the dining room. They would do a great service if they changed that and made it feel more like a french bistro.

Visited September 2012
East Lansing, Michigan
“Delightful Bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary here. The food was excellent and the ambiance charming. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and attentive. I highly recommend the cassoulet. My only caution is to make reservations directly with the restaurant rather than through Open Table. Open Table showed reservations only available at 5:30 and 8:00, yet the restaurant was virtually empty from 5:30 to 6:45 while we dined.