“Very good stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Portland
Salem, Massachusetts
“Very good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

This was a very nice, well appointed Hotel in a perfect location for enjoying the city of Portland. The room was a decent size (we had a King room in the very front of the Hotel on the top floor, overlooking the valet loop near the front entrance) but was quiet and set apart from the rest of the rooms, which was nice for our get-away. Free wi-fi was appreciated, and the spa was incredible. That was our favorite part of this stay, to be honest - one of the best spas we have encountered while traveling.

I would certainly return to this Hotel the next time I visit Portland. I did not get to interact much with the staff, but found they were polite and efficient.

Room Tip: We loved our room in the front on the top floor. Not the best view but quiet, private and comfortabl...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

A lovely breakfast room and breakfast service distinguishes this hotel. My husband was thinking of our breakfast there some years ago when he reserved a room for me in late February as I was returning late from Boston. Breakfast was indeed lovely, in a large room with tall windows, sound-absorbing drapes, calming colors, and an interesting menu. Coffee was hot and delicious and the server kept it coming—my bill was around $20 for a complex breakfast burrito, fresh orange juice, coffee. My little table looked out over the semi-circular entry/portico. Looking out the window and reading my iPad (free internet!) allowed me to half-escape the loud conversation of a local lawyer and her apparent clients….the only jarring note.

Room (#227) on the ground level was perfectly comfortable for the basic charge of $149 plus tax of $11.92 or $160.92—via Priceline’s “Bookings.com”. Its window overlooked a parking lot, but had an easy chair for reading by daylight, two queen-sized beds, flat TV, nice sheets, huge pillows. One caveat on #227: the washbasin water pressure was extremely low—barely enough to rinse my toothbrush. I didn’t try the shower or bath, took my hint from the sink, reported it to the front desk when I left. Note that if the signs pointing to the room numbers were more prominent, I might not have dragged my bag 3/4 of the way around the rectangular hallway, but simply turned left at the top of the ramp….Since I did make a nearly complete circuit of this hallway, I noticed a long strip of plastic snaking out from one of the rooms—leftover from the day’s construction? Oops from the perfectionist in me…

Valet parking cost $12.00 and I was glad to pay it so as not to have to seek a parking spot on the street late at night—both the evening’s valet and the morning valet were friendly and efficient. I would return in a flash, thought it a lovely gift from my husband.

Room Tip: Ask about water pressure before accepting #227...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
South Berwick, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

My boyfriend and I just came back from our stay at the Regency this weekend. We were in town to see a show at One Longfellow Square and when looking at nearby hotels, this one popped out from the rest.

From our first step into the hotel, it was perfect. The valet was easy and the check in was just as easy. I felt like a million dollars but I didn't have to break the bank.

For 185 dollars (that's including tax and valet), we had a spacious, clean, comfortable room with all the amenities we could dream of (a coffee machine, two robes, an umbrella, plus a wonderful turn down service at night) as well as a large bathroom with all the toiletries we needed (including cotton balls and q-tips!) Our room also had a deck with a nice view of the city scape and streets below. It felt warm and welcoming, which is exactly what we needed.

However, one of the best features of this hotel is its location. Just a minute walk to Exchange Street and not even a ten minute walk to Congress Street, you are surrounded by everything Portland has to offer. I love to walk and being able to commute by foot is a big draw for me. We were able to easily access our destinations from the hotel. Not to mention it's incredibly close to some delicious eats such as Sonny's.

Since our stay was short we did not get to enjoy the spa, lounge/restaurant, or fitness center but we are planning a return trip soon! For the price and location, you can't find a better place! I look forward to coming back again soon.

• Stayed February 2014
York, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

This lovely historic hotel is nestled in the heart of the Old Port. Comfortable, lovely rooms and well kept. Staff is wonderful and helpful. Just a few steps away from shopping and eating on Exchange Street.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We try to get up to this charming hotel at least twice a year. The staff is typically great although this last trip we had a cranky bellman (two bad, bad backs - we need the bellman!). Things to love about this hotel: great non-chain accommodations. Terrific location to walk to most everything you want to get to in Old Port. And the in-house spa. The perfect antidote for winter! Steam, hot tub and sauna are included. Spa services like massage, facials and lash tinting is available - and I would recommend! The only downside to this trip in the in-house pub "The Armory" has definitely declined in terms of the quality of food from previous visits. Where as it used to be a place we were happy to have a dinner and drinks at and not venture out into the snowy Portland winter, I'm not so sure we will make that choice in the future. I recommend the king size rooms with balcony if you are there for more than a couple nights. The view of the city is great and that there is a microwave and refrigerator in the room is a major bonus!!!

Room Tip: The corner suites on the 4th floor are amazing - but pricy. The king rooms on the 4th floor with ba...
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

My husband and I came to have our last hurrah before our baby comes. We were impressed with the price, about 120 a night plus 12 dollar valet parking. The location can't be beat. You are right in the heart of the Old Port. The room was very nice and all the staff were extremely helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

The Portland Regency was very worth the $150 per night price and $12 for overnight parking is a great deal! Our room was simple but very comfortable, and I loved the king size bed! Our dinner reservation got cancelled, so the front desk has very helpful to recommend a new place. This hotel is a quick walk to dozens of restaurants, shops and bars. I'll never stay anywhere else in Portland! Definitely stop in at the Armory bar on the ground floor of the hotel - $7 martinis on Monday night and an excellent drink menu!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Portland Regency Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!