“Great, classy, wonderful location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Internet Rate
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Great, classy, wonderful location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

When I'm visiting Portland, and wish to stay "in-town" (as opposed to staying in South Portland at the numerous chain hotels near the mall),
I had previously stayed at the Eastland Park. When making arrangements
for New Years, I decided to take TripAdvisors' advice, and give the Portland Regency a try. Boy, and I glad I did!

First and foremost is its location - which truly can't be beat. In the
middle of Portland's Old Port area, close to many clubs, restaurants (DiMillo's is still by far my favorite) and great shopping on a bunch of streats within two blocks of the Hotel.

Second, while the building in which the Regency is located is an historic armory, the interior was gutted and redone when the building was converted. While this may have also "gutted" some of the old-world
charm, I am happy to sacrifice a little charm for modern amenities, etc.

The Regency has a real "classy" ambience about it, without being stuffy. The furniture, fixtures in the common areas are all great, clean, solid. The room was great - big windows, lots of room.

I did a little late-night boozing at the hotel bar (downstairs - I think it's called "The Armory"). Great atmosphere (sort of like being in a English manor study), fair prices, good top-shelf choices.

I had breakfast at the small lobby restaurant on New Year's Day. The decor is classy and a little formal (again without being stuffy). The
service was spectacular, and the food was great at a relatively reasonable price.

I stayed New Year's Eve and the next night. The rates were fair, and the overall service from the front desk, to the valet (nice touch anywhere in Portland - especially nice in the Old Port area), to the restaurant and bar staffs was unmatched. I would never consider staying anywhere else in Portland, especially considering that their non-holiday rates are comparable to other nice hotels (Sable Oaks Marriott, etc.). Portland is a great city to wander about, and the Old
Port is the place to do it. I would recommend the Regency to anyone and everyone!

Stayed January 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Brunswick, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

I have stayed here many times and have always enjoyed my stay. It's spotless, it's friendly, the staff is great, the location is AWESOME, the decor always tasteful. The beds are very comfortable, appliances and fixtures always are kept in good repair, the furniture is classic. I have stayed at so many places where I have paid the same amount of money or more and received so much less in return. I highly reccommend this hotel for your Portland stay, but book early especially in the summer or if near the time of a festival.

• Liked — The comfort and value.
  • Disliked — My stay was too short.
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
Freeport, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2007

My husband and two daugthers (15 months and 3 years old) spend the first two nights of our Maine trip at the Portland Regency. It is in an excellent location for exploring downtown Portland. We used our double stroller to explore the area and the only problem we had was the steps leading to and from the front door (pretty steep for carring a stroller down), but the staff were always willing to help us.

We used the complimentary car to and from the airport which allowed us to use our two car seats and the driver, a college student, was extremely friendly.

We ate room service the first night and found the food very good. The only disappointment was the room which was on the top floor and had a tiny "skylight" window" and no other views. The room was a bit small, but I guess that's to be expected with an older building. Otherwise, the building has a feeling of historic charm.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Room without a view (or real window for that matter)
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Hamden, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

I've been staying at this hotel for probably 10 years now (most recently in Nov. 2007) and its always been pretty nice. No, its not the Ritz Carlton or even the other nice hotel in town, the Portland Harbor but its still nice.

This is a family owned hotel so it doesn't feel like a chain, which I think is a good thing (you may feel differently). Its in an old armory building that's quite old so it wasn't originally designed to be a hotel, resulting in some of the "quirks" other reviewers have noted.

Many (if not all) of the rooms have "skylight" type windows rather than the traditional type but it never really bothered me.

The king-sized bed was extremely comfortable.
The room, bathroom and common areas are all clean and well kept. A few years ago they did some noteworthy upgrades to the place and I suspect that had something to do with opening of the Portland Harbor.

The only complaint I had about my room was that the HVAC system was a bit noisy.

I didn't use the spa so I can't speak to it, but it looked nice.

We had breakfast in the restaurant and it was tasty but the service was slow, as it always seems to be.

The location is great, right in the heart of the Old Port section of Portland. Many of the better restaurants, bars, shops, theaters, etc. are all within walking distance of the hotel. You do have to valet your car, which means you'll be charged $12/day for parking and of course the tips for the valet.

I booked a special weekend rate for $159, which I think is a decent deal. I haven't stayed at the Portland Harbor yet (though I have walked through it) but when I checked the prices the best I could do was still quite a bit more. If you can get a rate that's close to what you can get at the Regency, it might be worth the few extra bucks.

But all in all, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Regency.

Stayed November 2007
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

The hotel-property is a renovation of an 1880-era armory.

My room was very nicely arranged - with an entry-way with closet, well-equipped bathroom, sitting area with sofa, good bed - and nice window treatment.

Noise-level can be a problem -- unfortunately, some disturbance from the opening and shutting of neighboring doors.

Some aspects of service were *very good*: room service for breakfast, in particular and a friendly, helpful van driver. The front desk was somewhat uneven in service -- depending upon who was on duty on a partiular time.

Overall, this is a nice property -- it would be good to specify if a larger (or particular type of) room may be needed. Reservations was helpful with this.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Logan, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

A person could not ask for a better location in Old Port. The Regency is within easy walking distance of everything - shops, pubs, the seaport, restaurants, and more.

Yes, my room was small. However, I really didn't need a lot of space. The room was clean; the plumbing worked well -- lots of water pressure, and hot; the a/c also worked fine. The room was also very quiet on the 3rd floor. Even though I had a sky light for a window, I had no idea that thunderstorms came through overnight. I had no use for the mini-bar, iron, or bathrobes, but it's nice that they provide them.

Service was great. The Front Desk was very polite, as were the valets, and restaurant staff.

The appetizers from the restaurant were excellent - clam chowder and crab cakes. I was also served warm wheat bread with a cranberrry glaze. Very good.

The gardens were beautiful. I've put some photos on here.

• Liked — Unique building and location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

The Regency Portland is an interesting hotel. Great location, nice staff, but....expensive for the room quality. The furniture was really dated and worn looking. Most or all of the rooms have a slanted ceiling with low skylight making them feel very small. Views out of the skylight window are of other buildings or parking lots. Still, we liked the historic nature of the building and based on the lack of hotel choices in the area, would probably stay there again. There is a neat bar downstairs called the Armory...stop in and have a nightcap.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Portland Regency Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!