“Had a great 42nd anniversary at the Regency.” 5 of 5 stars

Portland Regency Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Milk Street, Portland, ME 04101   |
Ranked #5 of 18 hotels in Portland
Nashua, NH
“Had a great 42nd anniversary at the Regency.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My wife and I had booked two nights at the Regency for our 42nd anniversary. Much to our surprise they upgraded us to a corner room and it was fantastic. After spending most of Friday shopping in Freeport we headed to the Armory Lounge. We had stayed with here in May of this year and so we knew how great the Armory Lounge was. After we each had a terrific martini, we went and did a little shopping in the Old Port and then finished our day in the Armory Lounge with a couple of there fine Martinis and some very good appetizers.

The next morning we woke to coffee and sweet rolls at our door. After getting dressed , we went to the Twenty Milk street Restaurant for a fantastic breakfast before spending the day walking all over Portland. One of the things we love about Portland is that it is a terrific city to walk in. There are so many shops and things to do all within walking distance from the Regency. One of the reasons we enjoy staying at the Regency, other than the fantastic service, is that it's location is perfect for urban hikers as ourselves. Once again at the end of the day we went down to the Armory lounge to relax from the day's walk. We had such a good time talking with the servers behind the bar that we ended up eating our dinner there. I guess the reason we like the Armory is it's warm atmosphere and terrific service. The food is outstanding as well.

In conclusion I just want to say thank you to the Regency for giving us a very memorable 42nd anniversary.

510 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I made a reservation online and received a confirmation. Then got a phone call while on my way to the hotel that actually they are overbooked. They then tried "helping" by recommending hotels that cost twice as much. Outrageous offer.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

The Regency is a solid hotel. Rooms are fine, nothing extraordinary, but clean, comfortable beds. Not a wow but just fine. The provide coffee and pastries to your door each morning, which is great. The hotel gym and spa are wonderful and the hotel bar is fabulous! The valet service is top-notch. The location is good as well. Not on the water so no dramatic views, but very centrally located. I'd definitely recommend. Ask for a 4th Floor room; better views!

Room Tip: Ask for a fourth floor room; better views!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

This is a charming hotel with a great location for visitors who enjoy walking everywhere. Our reservation and room were in order upon our arrival. The Armory Lounge was a great bar with good service and comfortable seating and decor. We had dinner in the restaurant and enjoyed it's ambiance and service, but thought the food was average. Our room was clean and had all the amenities we like, too bad we had a mostly sleepless night.

Our stay was ruined by all night revelers on our floor. Our 3rd floor room was next to the elevator and the noise continued until the boisterous ones broke the elevator around 3 AM. Guests (if you can call them that) were horsing around and literally bouncing off the walls, and when they weren't - other objects were.

When we mentioned this to the front desk on our check out, they were totally clueless. Apparently they do not patrol the asylum at night.

Concord, New Hampshire, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I picked this hotel through TripAdvisor for our 1 year wedding anniversary. When we arrived it was not what I expected based on their website but it was still nice. The room was small but very clean with a nice big bed. My husband had flowers and champagne ordered and they had them nicely placed and chilled. The hotel itself is outdated and there isn't much of a lobby. It did fit well in the area of the city and was actually quite quaint, it's just not what I am used to staying at.
Great location for walking around Portland.
I'm not sure if there is a nice view to be had but we were on the 2nd floor and had a poor view of the street. I specifically asked for a decent view considering our celebratory weekend so I was a tad disappointed there.
We did not try the spa or the restaraunt so I cannot comment on those, just the room. All in all I feel we overpaid for such a small room with no view!

Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Recently stayed with a group at The Regency Hotel & Spa in Portland, ME. Great food and great service from the entire staff. Ironically, I did not use the Spa, but did use their exercise room and sauna (at no cost).
If you are from the Midwest and crave lobster on your visit to Maine, go nowhere else! The hotel features, daily, a Crossiant Lobster Roll that is just what you were looking for.
Each day I was up for breakfast and warmly greeted in the restaurant, by my name after the first visit. When my friends arrived, the General Manager was helping unload their bags.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

My husband and I just returned from celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary in Portland. We had stayed at the Portland Regency one other time and fell in love with it and the area, so decided to come back for a couple of days. First off, I find the bad reviews hard to believe. I love the atmosphere of the hotel...our room being elegant with the tall ceilings and fine linens. It was not at all dated or in need of repair.

When we arrived by cab at the motel on Sunday I quickly realized I had left my wallet in the cab. Everyone at the front desk and concierge sprang into action. (I hadn't realized they would come to the airport and get us, and used this service on departure). Anyway, Sandy started calling every cab company asking if they had just dropped someone of at their Motel, she patiently and urgently called until she located our the cab company. Due to her quick thinking, my wallet was returned and we were able to enjoy the rest of our stay! I can't thank her enough! The entire staff was great!

I would highly recommend the Portland. As stated in other reviews, the location is second to none, the lounge and restaurant are great also. Next time I will try the spa!

Thank you for a wonderful stay!!

Room Tip: We didn't encounter any noise in room 331.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Portland Regency Hotel? Share your experiences!