“Very expensive for Portland Maine” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Milk Street, Portland, ME 04101   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Portland
Maine
“Very expensive for Portland Maine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

You'd think you were staying in NYC or Boston instead of Portland, Maine for the price we paid, $315. Nothing out of the ordinary in the room we stayed in. It was clean and nice, but hardly worth the price. I was very disappointed when I discovered on my visa bill that they had charged me $34.95 to mail a sweatshirt I had forgotten in the room. I live in Maine for heaven's sake, less than 100 miles away. After calling to object, they would not budge. I have stayed in other hotels that have mailed things back for free. You'd think at $315 a night they could at least be reasonable. Their unreasonableness and outrageous prices have guaranteed that we will not be back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Arlington, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We recently had a one night stay and much of the family jewelry was taken from our locked room, no outsiders so obviously someone from on the staff. We were stunned at the lack of response and care on the part of the staff/management -- Management took a cursory attitude to this catastrophic event.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
GMRESPONSE, General Manager at Portland Regency Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
We always welcome guest feedback, however we find the accusation of jewelry being stolen by one of our staff members unfounded and there is no evidence to support their statement.

We host thousands of guests in our hotel on an annual basis and take guest property and security very seriously. As a service we offer safety deposit boxes at the front desk to hold any valuable items a guest may have. If something of this importance is physically given to us we can securely hold it throughout their stay, if we have no records or proof of it being in our hotel we cannot be held responsible.

Our records show the guest checked out of their room at 12:24pm without any indication or mention from the them of theft or loss. The hotel received a call at approximately 7pm (some 7 hours later) saying that important family jewelry had been left behind. We immediately sent a staff member to look for these items and did recover a box with jewelry inside. The guest believed they packed more than the three items which were found by our staff member. A manager then returned to the room once again and was not able to locate any additional property.

We have been in contact with this guest repeatedly to help the guest retrace their steps in hopes of locating their lost items and had encouraged them to contact the Portland Police Department.
In addition, the General Manager has spoken to the Portland Police Department about the situation.
It is an unfortunate situation all around and we are hoping that the guest locates the missing items in question.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I purposefully chose the Regency over the chain hotel where my friends stayed for a family event. I had loved my previous stays.
I arrived after 10pm on a rainy night, extremely tired after a long car trip.
Checking in was fine, although I was frustrated that there was no (even light) food service after 10pm. I would have been happy with a fruit/cheese plate but the front desk suggested Dominos.
The front desk staff person took a call while I was checking in, and I assumed that I was all set, and headed off to my room. It was a maze down to ground floor rooms that were tucked behind the health spa. I got lost a few times, and each time I ended back in the lobby (at least 2x) the front desk person was on the phone with her back turned to me.
Once I found it, the room was a little depressing. Couldn't open the shade because it looked out onto a busy street. Smelled a little mildewy. There was an old t-shirt behind the chair that was still there on day 2. The corridors in the back were always a little dirty. It just felt sad, especially for a place that I associated with good memories and comfort.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms (110-112)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

A++ location in an old armory building. Most of the rooms look like old Marriott rooms, so it is nothing special. Would say the hotel needs to be refreshed. Because it is an old Armory, some of the rooms are funky - we stayed in one with a slanted roof and an inoperable sunlight, but no window. Service is good and the bar iin the basement s outstanding, but no one knows about it. We really like the location in the heart of everything next to restaurants, shops, etc.

Room Tip: ask for rooms with "normal" configurations
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
ALLENWOOD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Perfect location near the harbor. Rooms were spotless clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful and allowed an early check in that was not prearranged. Only criticism is air conditioner was very noisy and the beds were much too soft.

• Stayed July 2011
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

We stayed here for a wedding. Great location. Very friendly staff. Rooms are medium sized but not at all cramped. Decor is hardly cutting edge but is pleasant. Loved the spa. My wife had a treatment that she really enjoyed. We both really liked the large, very well-equipped fitness room that is free to hotel guests with extensive cardio and weights. Nice not to have to worry about paying a daily fee just to pop down for a quick workout. Would easily recommend to friends visiting Portland.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Rockville Centre, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

the Portland regency is a great place to stay in Portland Maine. It is right in the heart of the city. Almost everything is walkable.. including the restaurants and wharf. the staff is very accomodating..
We stayed in a jr. suite and it was worth the $.. there is a huge flat screen TV, luxurious bedding, delightful bathroom with a separate whirlpool and shower ( and yet another TV)... comfy chairs and every kind of service. There is a cafe right outside the front door for inexpensive breakfasts... there is parking ( valet) at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Portland Regency Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!