“My first experience with real Ramen” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
“My first experience with real Ramen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Eclectic asian with wonderful Ramen soup (I had beef with kimchi) and lots of very different takes on Japanese cooking. Not at all traditional but lots of small plates to share.

Visited May 2014

Tampa, Florida
“Really so, so good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Eating at Pai Men Miyake makes you feel like you are in an episode of the Travel Channel's "Unique Eats" shows or that you would look to the next table and see Anthony Bourdain swooning. It was damn good.

My son, father, and I each had a different type of ramen. Perfect tooth to the noodles, delicious half of a soft boiled egg, mmmm worthy meat, it was all there. Each of ours was delish (though just a touch salty for me, but I don't eat a lot of salt, so, take that comment with a grain of salt, as they say). We also got the pork belly buns, which was a bit goopy, so again, freaking tasty. My husband had a dish that was sushi rice and sashimi and some other stuff. I was too busy scarfing my ramen to really pay attention. He loved it.

Service was a bit slow/choppy (yet kind), but the place was busy and we weren't in a big hurry. It didn't bug me. Things were also a little awkward with the narrow walkway between the bar stools that we were on and the high top tables behind us.

On a Sunday night around 6:30, it was packed with an hour+ to eat inside. I was good to eat outside, but my comrades were feeling wimpy with the chilly weather. The kind hostess offered the bar to the 5 of us, and it was perfect. My kids loved watching the cooks do their thing, so it was built in entertainment. Though I grew up in the area, I now live far away and was surprised by the hipster vibe. Good or bad, be prepared. It's not my thing, but good for you and your big beards. Just go and be hungry. Good prices, great place, excellent food. This place rocked my world.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maine
“Close to the Best Meal I Have Ever Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My son, best friend and I had lunch there yesterday. Walking in the door on a chilly, rainy day we were assaulted by yummy smells. The restaurant is crowded and a bit noisy during lunch. The service was attentive and we were seated immediately.

The food is different from the expected Asian food with dishes that are unique to this restaurant in my experience. All dishes were served steaming hot and delicious. We had hot Saki, dumplings and brussels sprouts. The sprouts are not to be missed and served in a fair sized bowl.

We each had a variety of the noodle soups which are warming, filling and tasty. The bill was extremely fair considering the amount of food we had.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seattle, Washington
“Three times in five days (for the Maine crab roll)!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My mother is from Japan, I was born there, and I live in Seattle - so I know a little bit about Japanese food. Pai Men Miyake provides a great take on it. My first visit to Portland (this was my third), I was struck by the number of Japanese restaurants. It makes sense, though, with the proximity to seafood. Few restaurants anywhere make as good use of that seafood as the flagship Miyake fine-dining establishment.

My daughter, who just graduated from UNE in Portland, took us to its sibling place for noodles (ramen). The first thing that caught my eye was the Maine crab roll, which was so divine, it lured me back to this restaurant two more times. It might be the best sushi I've ever had - and I've had it all over, including in Japan. The ramen was first rate and its various iterations imaginative. My favorite was the Kimchee Beef.

My other favorite plates were the daikon carrot salad, which I had again, and the pork buns, which I would have had again, but didn't try until my last visit. During our three visits, I also loved the brussels sprouts in fish sauce vinaigrette and various items off the day's fresh list.

I can see how some people might not quite be enamored with the atmosphere. It gets crowded and loud, especially at night, and the music is R&B or hip hop, both of which I happen to love. The table service could be better, but I twice sat at the bar, where the service and the conversation were fantastic. The other nit that others have picked is the restaurant's overwhelming whiteness, which I found to be true ... and initially offputting, until it was quickly established that Miyake sets the agenda, which is then executed brilliantly by the staff, white, yellow or blue.

After a trip to Acadia National Park, I had one last night in Portland. It is a foodie haven, which I know from past visits. But I chose to go out with one last meal at Pai Men Miyake. I literally cannot wait to go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston
“Best bowl of noodles ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

This is a must-stop destination any weekend we are eating our way through Portland. The ingredients are fresh and flavorful, just the thing to warm your belly. The staff is friendly and atmosphere is chill. If you want a cozy, casual vibe with outstanding Asian food, this is your place!

• Visited January 2014