“New Maine Foodie Tour -- Pub Crawl -- Another Winner!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 65 Activities in Portland
Type: Tours, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: Join Maine Foodie Tours and taste your way through town! Entertaining guides immerse you in cultural history while satisfying your taste buds with culinary delights.
Scarborough, Maine
37 attraction reviews
1,381 helpful votes 1,381 helpful votes
“New Maine Foodie Tour -- Pub Crawl -- Another Winner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We’ve been on several different Maine Foodie Tours and thoroughly enjoyed them all. I was thrilled to discover one of their new tours for this year (Sips, Smugglers and Speakeasies) was a pub crawl. It was even more fun than I had hoped!

We visited 4 establishments, each with a different atmosphere and a different specialty drink. Offerings may vary, but on our tour we started at Bull Feeney’s with a delicious cocktail composed of Bailey’s Irish Cream, Allen’s coffee brandy, and a specialty rum from the Canadian Maritimes. This would have been a great start by itself, but it was also served up with a bucket of fries (regular and sweet potato) with 3 dipping sauces.

We then moved to the upscale Salt Exchange where we were served a cocktail made of gin and a locally-made lemon soda. Uh, oh, I don’t like gin – but I gave it a try and to my surprise thought it was quite good. And I definitely liked the house made potato chips with truffle oil.

What would a pub crawl be without beer, which we imbibed at Gritty McDuff’s, Maine’s original brew pub. We were given samples of a stout and their seasonal harvest beer.

Our last stop was a place that was new to us, The North Point, and we’ll definitely be returning to this warm and welcoming place with a chic retro vibe. They have a super-looking cocktail list, and we were treated to the Smoked Caramel Vanilla Bourbon (Jim Beam, vanilla bean infused vodka, a touch of cream, and caramel). Oops, I don’t care for bourbon, either – but again I gave it a try and it was FABULOUS! North Point is also known for its flatbreads, and they brought samples of their Maine Mushroom Flatbread (caramelized portabella mushrooms, truffle oil, feta, mozzarella, roasted shallots, and sundried Maine blueberries) to the table. Beyond delicious! We were so taken with this place that we stayed on after the tour to try some more intriguing items from their menu.

So the food and drinks were outstanding, but really making this tour extraordinary was our guide, Chuck. He has the perfect personality to spend the afternoon “pubbing” with. He is very friendly and knowledgeable about both the general history of Portland and its alcohol-related past and current scene. And it didn’t feel like a guide was talking to you; it felt more like having a conversation with a good friend.

The tour was leisurely-paced. The drinks weren’t full-sized but still a healthy portion – just the right-sized serving. I can’t think of a thing that would improve this tour, and look forward to adding it to our must-do list when friends come to visit. Maine Foodie Tours has come up with another winner!

Boston, MA
“A Fun and Different Afternoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Although a bit on the expensive side, I would still say the tour is worth it, especially for those who haven't been to Portland before. The main downside our group found, as another poster mentioned, was the stop at Stonewall Kitchen for their "homemade scones." Yes they are baked there, but they are from a mix, and Stonewall is not unique to Portland. My sister, an avid cook from CT visiting Portland for the first time, has a Stonewall store a few blocks from her house. Otherwise, some great Maine facts and a chance to discover local shops. Although I don't consider myself a foodie, I grew up around great cooking, and I certainly learned new things on this tour about local cheese, beer and fishing. We got a few great Christmas gift ideas also!

Hanover, New Hampshire
“Geared for the Cruise Ship Crowd!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We are veteran food walkers and chose a weekend in Portland once we found out about this tour. In the end, it was not at all what we expected. In short, we thought, overall, this was a poor tour and was seriously overpriced for what it was. The biggest issue we found was that there wasn't really a benefit from taking the tour. Several of the stops on the tour offer tastings and samplings for the general public anyway and, while being billed as a Portland tour, a couple of the stops were more Maine than Portland. I love Stonewall Kitchens products as much as anyone, but their stores are open for tasting nearly everything they offer anyway. And Stonewall Kitchens isn't a Portland thing - it is a Maine thing. Equally frustrating was the fact that the tour walked past (and pointed out) locations that were truly local and quintessentially Portland on the way to the more generic stops (How about arranging for a stop at Micucci's for a small taste of their pizza instead of telling everyone how wonderful it is on the way past?). This could be so much more with a little effort on behalf of the operator and a bit of work with local chefs and vendors. For anyone not from the Northeast and unable to get/taste many of these products, I am sure it was enjoyable. But for the more discerning "foodie" a little effort and planning would lead you to create your own tour that would encompass the best of what this tour offered along with a whole lot more of true, local Portland.

Jackson, Maine, United States
“Worthwhile tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Such a fun way to spend a few hours in the Old Port. Thanks to this tour, I was finally, after living in Maine for over forty years, able to explore this beautiful area. I loved the cobblestone streets, seeing the huge pylons under the fish market pier, the smells coming from all the restaurants, and the shops we went into were shops I probably never would have thought to explore on my own. After the tour, the group of friends I was with went back to some of the stops to continue shopping. I think my favorite stop was the local market, though the lobster was also delicious.

Roseville, California
“Walking and eating around Portland, Maine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I are not "culinary experts" by any stretch of the imagination!
But this was another "wicked good" tour for anyone no matter what the degree of knowledge of the culinary world.
Pat was an amazing tour guide on this fantastic walking and eating journey through the downtown and wharf areas of Portland, Maine.
We covered much ground, learned a lot of history, and, of course, enjoyed wonderful food and drink along the way.
I would do this again in a heartbeat!

Visited September 2013