“Great stay for a winter-weekend getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 18 hotels in Portland
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great stay for a winter-weekend getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided last-minute on a post-Valentine's day getaway to Portland from Boston and luckily the Residence Inn had one room left. Upon arrival we noticed how close the hotel is to the Shipyard Brewery (tour wasn't the best we've had, but they give out plenty of free samples!) and the ocean (not nearly as enjoyable in February as in the summertime). It is, however, about a 10 minute walk from most Old Port restaurants and shops - quick, but not as centrally located as a few of the other top-rated picks on TripAdvisor.

Service at the hotel was phenomenal. From the man checking us in who joked about most incidental charges being related to the abundance of Portland brewpubs, to the ladies at breakfast who offered to clear our tables, we felt thoroughly welcomed.

The hotel itself is very new and clean. We had a "studio suite" which was bigger than most standard rooms. The rooms are set up for extended stays with full kitchens, making me wish we were staying long enough to cook anything (although I doubt we would've given Portland's foodie scene). We also took advantage of the pool and hot tub (nice but not huge) and the gym (brand new equipment, most with televisions. 3 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, a stairstepper, free weights, etc.).

The included continental breakfast was better than most, but not as expansive as some others I've seen. Think parfaits, fruits, cereals, bagels, pancakes, scrambled eggs, hash, oatmeal, etc.

Overall great stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

531 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night and enjoyed the experience. The property is newer and very nicely maintained. My room was very well appointed, quiet and comfortable - wish I could have stayed longer!!! Parking is conveniently located across the street and there are several great eateries within walking distance of the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't forget to use your prepaid parking ticket the front desk gives you when ENTERING the parki...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New Brunswick, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We booked this hotel for 3 nights with Marriott points and also had our dog with us. We were told at check-in that because of the pet, we would need to be on the 1st or 2nd floor. We cheerfully agreed to pay the standard Residence Inn $100 pet fee and headed to our room.

We were totally unprepared for the "view" we would receive. We were placed on the back of the hotel with a view of the steel wall on the industrial building about 20 feet away. I find it unbelievable that the developers would build a hotel in downtown Portland with all of the rooms on the back of the hotel overlooking the industrial building next door.

Naturally I checked to see if another room was available. The agent was polite and offered either an exterior room with a half underground view of the industrial building and its parking lot or a room with a ground level view of the courtyard (not particularly attractive as people in the courtyard can look right in at you. I declined and tried again the next morning. The same options were offered and I politely expressed disappointment. The agent was frustrated (from a lot of other complaints about the view?) and told me that a lot of city hotels have poor views and I should get over it. I may never get over a Marriott Category 6 property offering the worst view I have experienced in hundreds of hotel stays all over the world!

Other than the WORST VIEW ON RECORD and a large sign by the elevator that threatens "guests" with eviction if other guests complain about noise (wonder what led to that ....), everything else with the stay was fine. We will choose another hotel if staying in Portland again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with horrendous views on the back of the hotel. Confirm the view that you room will have...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We have stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott a few times and while most of my encounters with the staff have been positive, on February 4, 2013, one was not. My fiancé and I were in town for the funeral of a family member and were resting at the hotel one afternoon around 3pm. We received a knock on the door announced with "maintenance". I woke up and asked that they return later. A few minutes afterward the phone rang. Again, I woke up, answered the phone, and the following conversation ensued:
FRONT DESK: Hello Sir, we have a company working in the hotel and need to get into your room to upgrade the locks.
ME: I understand, but we are sleeping right now.
FRONT DESK: The company will only be here for a few more minutes and needs to get into the room now.
ME: I am sleeping.
FRONT DESK: I understand but this needs to happen for your security.
ME: I am not happy but I will get up and open the door.

I have never been a guest at a hotel where I have been woken up twice within 5 minutes and informed I needed to open the door (even after telling the hotel I was sleeping). The door wasn't broken and did not appear to need immediate repairs. It seemed the convenience of the hotel was more important than mine.

Add this incident to the fact we had to change rooms during our stay (not the hotel's fault, but still not fun) and the heat not functioning on the last night, and this stay at the hotel was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

To the management of the Residence Inn in Portland: You manage a good hotel and I've enjoyed being there in the past. But your actions were unacceptable and you should be better. I will not return.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Saint John, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Right at the edge of the waterfront area so it's convenient for walking yet quiet. Decent free breakfast and evening snacks. Coffee, tea and hot chocolate available all day. Room had a nice small kitchenette. Bathroom layout very convenient for 2 since the sink was separate from the toilet and bath/shower. Bedroom and living room area was small but nice. Windows opened which was good if you like a breeze. You can get a really good deal if you go in off-season (I paid $159 for a 1 bedroom suite in November). Parking is next door but we walked everywhere anyway. Nice thing is it's a secure parking garage so your car is not out in the weather.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are very quiet and cheaper.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately I had a company rate and even though the hotel was empty they didn't give me a room with a view, just one with a tractor trailer truck. Other option was courtyard view, but that you have to keep your blinds shut. The Hilton garden inn and Hampton are closer to the action but this is very close. Hotel doesn't have any common space with waterfront either. Though it is a working port, it's not really a pretty area and you cant really see much of the water from the street as its not really waterfront. Its walking distance to some fabulous restaurants and they have a shuttle too. So not really need the kitchen if you aren't planning to stay in for meals.

• Stayed January 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I won't go into the long song and dance about how horrible this hotel treated me and my husband on our wedding night, first day of our marriage and my entire bridal party the day of my wedding. As a Platinum Member, I don't expect a parade or to be given lots of presents when I check-in, but I was amazed that 1- spending my last night as a single lady with my bridesmaids; 2- getting ready at the hotel on the day of my wedding and 3-having my wedding night there did not phase the people at all. I wrongly assumed that I should go to a Marriott on the day of my wedding because I'm a Platinum Elite and they will treat me well. Ocean view? No, dumpsters. Upgrade? Forget it. Clean the room? Sorry, we only do that every 3 days. Bottle of champagne or a congrats? Not on your life.
Eventually, I ended up in an argument on the first day of my married life with the General Manager who denied me late check-out while I was at my day-after wedding brunch. She tried to stick me with the bill for the next day when I was barely late for check out (that I am automatically granted as Platinum). It goes on and on and ended up with my complaints being elevated to Marriott corporate who arranged for the General Manager and her staff to attend a customer service training session. And I ended up with a bucket of points from Marriott Rewards. Doesn't get those two nights back, though.

So the point of my tale - do not go there if you are loyal to the Marriott brand or have status as it may change your opinion of the entire organisation. If you're someone who just needs a room in Portland and wants to be close to downtown, it's probably just fine. With hindsight, I'd have stayed at the Regency or Harbor View.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn Portland Downtown / Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!