“Pretty nice place for the price” 4 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   340 Park Avenue, Portland, ME 04102   |
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Portland
Medford, Massachusetts, United States
“Pretty nice place for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Needed a cheap place to stay in Portland. This place was pretty nice and included breakfast. Wasn't as close to the main drag in Portland, but taxis are so cheap so it was only about $8 to/from Old Town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Have stayed at Portland, Me. Laquinta Hotel many times over the last three years. Mainly to be close to the local hospital. Each time because of medical issues I have arrived slightly stressed. The hotel staff has never failed to provided myself and my family with the support and environment we need to make us comfortably and see that we have everything we need. For that I thank you all.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Fremont, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week 1/17 thru 1/24 ...service was excellent and so were the rooms..looks like they just went thru a whole remodel ..staff is very friendly and breakfast is ok....price is fair
Compared to
Everything else in the area...will recommend la quinta

• Stayed January 2014
Camden, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

It's a La Quinta...pretty much the same where you go and not posh but decent. Over all a good value. Pros: Price, friendly and efficient staff, clean, micro and refrigerator in the room, spacious room, good location....close to downtown and to the hospital. Free breakfast....although not great, it is fine if you just want cereal, bagel, coffee,etc. Cons: Noisy...you can hear cars coming and going, jets, and folks in the hall. All in all, a good deal for a place to rest your head at night.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the front side of the hotel.....our was facing the rear parking lot and you cou...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Oil City, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

This hotel is probably one of the best hotels I've stayed in -- when my wife and I are simply looking for a place to crash after a day of visiting family or sight seeing. The public areas are clean and well kept, no funky smells and no strange stains in the hallway carpets. The entire hotel looked like it just went through a major make-over.

We stayed in a room right next to the elevator in the front of the hotel. I was worried about noise, but this is the absolute quietest hotel room ever. We didn't hear one thing at all whenever we were in the room. It was almost like we were in some kind of sound-proof room!

The room was well furnished with a desk, microwave, fridge, recliner, large dresser and new big flat screen TV. REAL HD channels, too!! There are 38 channels, including the local network channels -- great selection.

Why only 3 stars? Well, why do you stay in a hotel at Christmas time? To have a place to sleep after visiting family. And, the bed was considerably less than comfortable. It had weird dips and was obviously well worn. Both my wife and I woke up with back aches in the middle of the night!

And... the bathroom was very clean, but the tub didn't drain well and taking a short shower left me standing in ankle deep water.

I really wanted to love this place! The hotel is in an area that LOOKS undesirable, but is perfectly fine and well located close to the interstate and not far at all from downtown Portland. The staff was wonderful and friendly. We checked out other rooms and the beds were either the same or worse, but the staff did their best to accommodate us. Breakfast was much better than average, well stocked and in a VERY clean dining room. We're generally not picky (I actually like Motel 6) but waking up in pain is just not what I expected.

So, if you don't use the bed or the shower, this is an amazing hotel! If you plan to sleep and shower, there are hotels with better beds & showers at the same price in suburban Portland.

La Quinta -- get new mattresses and we'll never stay anywhere else when in Portland visiting family!!

Room Tip: Mattresses are unbearably uncomfortable -- try the Howard Johnson on Riverside Street. Similar pric...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Milo, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I've never seen such polite and helpful staff, I had reserved a handicap accessible room (they all have double beds), upon check in the desk clerk asked if we would prefer a room with a king size bed as all the first floor rooms have shower grab bars and that's all I needed, she went to the room to confirm that before we took it. We were in town for an appointment at the hospital and the desk clerk told us of a special rate with a letter from the doctors office! We had our dog with us and saw other dogs on premise, and never saw a sign of a dog ever being in the room before! Very clean! Also a great breakfast, we went at almost the end of breakfast time and they still had plenty of everything!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Now clearly you know what you're getting into when you choose to stay at La Quinta. However, it has"and suites" aspartame of its name, and to that I say "not really." Hoping for some extra room and my husband, who always goes to bed significantly later than I do, the possibility of watching some late night tv without completely keeping me up, I decided to drop the extra 30 on the suite. Mistake. It's basically a room that would have 2 queen beds, but instead of the second queen bed,there's a love seat and coffee table. Absolutely noting suite (or sweet) about that. I feel likes chump for spending more for the same thing.

• Stayed December 2013

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland? Share your experiences!