“Wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Portland
Rochester,Ny
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Good location for sightseeing in Portland, ME; friendly helpful staff; good breakfast - food & hours. accessible parking; restaurants, attractions within easy walking distance; maps and newspaper available.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Montpelier, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed one night in Portland at La Quinta, with our well behaved, fastidious dogs. We had a good stay and felt we received good value. We had a pleasant room that was clean, well appointed, and comfortable. Heating and cooling was efficient and relatively quiet. We slept very well. The bathroom is somewhat on the small side, but adequate. Check in was easy and quick. The hotel provides a morning breakfast which is not impressive, but it gave us coffee, yogurt, and some adequate bagels to begin the day with. All in all, we thought once again that La Quinta offers a clean, reasonably priced stay that is relatively close to Portland's downtown area and restaurants. Hadlock field, home of the Portland Seadogs is close by. This is a good choice if you are visiting Portland and would like to sleep comfortably without breaking the bank.

Room Tip: The hotel will welcome you and your pets without a fuss or additional charges.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
North Tonawanda, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stay at a lot of La Quinta Inns and Suites and find them better than similar chains with similar rates. This one is in a marginal neighborhood, though close to the highway. Walking to restaurants is dicey and there were lapses in service that might be tolerated at the weekly rate, but were not acceptable on the weekend rate that made it one of the most expensive places we've ever stayed. Worn towels, a shampoo cap found in the tub, stained desk chair, room not serviced one day, all indicate lack of attention to detail which is not welcome at any price, but at $150 for a weekend night? Not at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Or if you don't mind driving a bit. I'll admit I'm spoiled in that I usually have been able to stay near downtown, however the weekend I stayed here other places were booked. This place was perfectly clean, the staff were fine, and the breakfast is an awesome perk. Just, not the greatest location for a weekend downtown when nobody wants to drive. :-)

The rooms were modern-ish though not extremely cozy or welcoming. Id stay here again if I had to, though its definitely not my first choice in Portland.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Needed a Hotel quick! All Hotels in the entire State of Maine were booked for Labor Day weekend. Hotels.com had rooms available here. Good room. Good service. I stayed for the free breakfast...I always sleep in. But the thought is what counts - If I could only wake up on time! They had my reservation. I've never stayed in a La Quinta before. Have you tried the shampoo? Creamsicle fragrance...I almost had shampoo for dinner! Yumm!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
West Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend a couple of days in Portland after spending a week with family in northern Maine. Was not excited about the downtown hotel prices so came across the La Quinta a couple of miles away. Very clean and nice and is really just a short drive to southport. While in Portland my wife and I did a great beer tour and decided to take a cab so we wouldn't have to worry about how much beer we drank. The friendly front desk was able to set it up for us and it was only 8 dollars to get down there and 8 dollars to get back. Well worth the price and ease.

I would stay at this hotel again. The only thing that was a bit of a problem was that breakfast ran our kind of quick but I don't blame the hotel for that. We were on vacation and wanted to sleep late.

Also it is very easy to get to the interstate from the hotel and made our trip down to Boston to catch our plane very easy.

Cheers!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Boston MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hotels in Portland are amazingly expensive! The Laquinta was the best deal I found, 189 night, with free parking and free breakfast. It was a couple of miles away from downtown but after I factored in the higher rates for hotels in that area, plus the fee for parking, the Laquinta was a much better deal. Cabs to/from the hotel to downtown were approx. $10.00 each way. The room was clean, good size and efficient. We didn't have time to use the pool which was a shame, our room overlooked it and it looked very nice.
We did take advantage of the free breakfast which is what you expect, including the make your own waffle machine which I love. Interaction with the staff was limited but they were all very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland? Share your experiences!