“Excellent overnight stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 18 hotels in Portland
Sidney ME
“Excellent overnight stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed here May 8th for one night while my husband had surgery. Very nice hotel, clean, and staff was very helpful and pleasant. The room was large, with a king size bed which was very comfortable. They offered a continental breakfast...eggs, cereal, muffins, yogurt, etc. and make your own waffles. Everything was plentiful and tasty. The price was very reasonable compared to other hotels in the Portland area. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Room on third floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

347 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Hotel was clean, and not a bad value for the price that was paid. There was one issue that did not turn out to be a problem, but it could have been under different circumstances. We were able to hear conversations occurring in the hallway outside the room, which was not unexpected, and understood to be a normal part of a hotel visit. However, when we discovered that the conversation was not actually in the hallway, but was in a room across the hall, that had the door completely shut (as was the door to our room), it became apparent that the sound-proofing of the hotel was entirely inadequate. One should not be able to clearly hear the voices of other guest from a closed room, across an entire hallway.
Bedding in the room was satisfactory, but not luxurious or unusually comfortable. An upgrade in the mattress quality would be nice.
The hotel does provide a shuttle service to PWM airport, and surrounding destinations, that was used. Drivers were pleasant and affable and the service was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Try to get a room where no one else is located near you, and note that smoking floors are permeated...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The primary appeal of this La Quinta might be its low price** and its location adjacent to the Maine Eye Center. Cataract patients from out of town often stay here overnight in-between their initial eye operation, and the requisite eye-check-out the next morning.

My neighbor and I stayed overnight here April 30th for her cataract operation. Despite some apprehension from prior reviews, both rooms were clean, had working flat-screen TVs, good reading lights, a comfortable easy chair, a desk with outlets for your electronics (wi-fi worked fine), and screened windows that could be half-opened. True, it’s an older facility and shows some wear, but our rooms were perfectly acceptable. We had small refrigerators and microwaves in our second-floor rooms (photos are from #210)—the receptionist said that these are not available on the third floor.

Pets are allowed on the first and fourth floors, there are smokers’ rooms on the fourth floor. I called to check if the first floor rooms also had refrigerators and microwaves, and was told that 10-12 of these do, but not all. Parking is free. I am compelled to add that the full-length well-lit mirror opposite the bath/sink area and the large mirror in the bedroom were a vast improvement from some of the dark corner mirrors encountered in two recent 4-star hotel stays.

The area is more industrial than Portland’s tourist-oriented waterfront and downtown, and the streets on either side of it are one-way, so getting to it is slightly complicated. I was glad to have our Garmin navigator for guidance. However, there is a McDonald’s and a Dunkin Donuts within an easy walk (walk against the one-way traffic on Park Ave., walk under both railway overpasses and turn right onto St. John St. and you will see them). If you drive out for groceries, both a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe’s are 3 minutes away—on Marginal Way and Somerset St.—get directions from MapQuest.

Our desk clerks were perfectly friendly and helpful, so I would return—the $62.60 price (AAA rate room x $58.50 & $4.10 tax) for a king bedroom on 2nd floor with microwave and small refrigerator certainly would allow more visits. I didn’t try the free breakfast, just the coffee, but my neighbor liked her waffle and syrup. It’s not exciting, but it works.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ipswich, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We booked here for the location its a 2 minute walk to the Seadogs stadium.
It was nice clean and quiet place. Front desk was ok but none of the 3 we saw were friendly.
Its not in the best part of town but we were comfortable walking back from the game at 9 pm.
I would stay here again if I came to see a game.
A solid hotel but nothing at all fancy,

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

For a cheap place in Portland, this has to be one of the best options. Our AAA rate was $65 (taxes included), which was less than half than the nicer hotels in the Old Port. It also appears to be the closest 'value' hotel to the main parts of the city. With no traffic, it's probably less than a 5 minute drive to the top of Congress St.

Our room was basic but very clean and comfortable. We were pleasantly surprised with the free breakfast, which was not gourmet but hit the spot anyways. Parking was abundant. Our room was quiet. And it is walking distance to the AA Sea Dogs baseball park. Can't ask for anything more from a value hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I did not have any bad experience staying at this hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel (at least at the location we were at as I'm sure this varies from location to location) to anyone. I am VERY picky about hotel stays and I read a ton of reviews about each place before I decide, I had heard from friends this place wasn't bad. I give this hotel a very high rating which I don't give out lightly.

The rooms were VERY clean and kept as well as the lobby. You could tell ALL the bedding had been washed and dried as it had that nice crisp clean feeling to it like when you line dry your clothes in the summer. We were only there one (1) night as we were in the area for a concert so I am unsure how well the rooms are kept with a multiple night stay but I'm sure it would be good.

The only thing I will say about the room though was when we first arrived the room was VERY hot and the heat was up to 72 degrees (granted it was early spring but it wasn't that cold). So when we first got there we needed to turn the heat down. Other than that the room was great.

The staff was very nice, helpful, and informative. Check-in and check-out were super quick and easy with no hassle.

As we were only there one (1) night we didn't use the pool so I am unsure about this area of the hotel and we also didn't attend the breakfast. But if those things are anything like the rest of the hotel I'm sure they don't disappoint.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland? Share your experiences!