“The Danforth” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Danforth

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Danforth
163 Danforth Street, Portland, ME 04102   |
Ranked #8 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“The Danforth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I recently stayed at the Danforth for a few days. I was a great experience. The manager greeted us at the car with an umbrella because it was raining! He showed us to our room and explained every thing we needed to know during our stay. The property is located on a quiet side street and the grounds are kept beautifully. All staff was professional, cheerful and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to friends while they are in Portland.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My wife and I spent one night in the Danforth and truly enjoyed it. The inn is just a few blocks from the Old Port and a few blocks from the Arts District, making it easily walkable to lots of great restaurants (of which, Portland seems to have a disproportionate number). The Inn itself is charming and surprisingly spacious. Wide hallways, several comfortable common places and very big rooms, with a large bathroom to boot. Our host gave us a quick tour of the Inn and offered a few suggestions for dinner. The age of the house does leave it somewhat vulnerable to outside noise, but its in a pretty quiet neighborhood, so that should only rarely be an issue. I've only stayed in a couple of B&B-style places, but could certainly get used to it if they are all like The Danforth.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The excellent staff make you feel so comfortable and are so helpful for just about anything you need. Each morning I got up to a delicious breakfast and there was alway coffee and cookies available should you need a snack. The location allows walking to shops and restaurants. My corner room was nicely decorated and very spacious, clean and comfortable. I would return for another stay if I were going to be in Portland.

Room Tip: I had a lovely room on the second floor that faced Danforth Avenue. I loved the sun coming in the r...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I had previously stayed at the Camden Harbour Inn and loved it so much that we wanted to try the Danforth, which had recently been purchased by the owners of the Camden Harbour Inn. Upon arrival, the owner of the Danforth met us as we exited our car and immediately greeted us by name, which was impressive and welcoming. He let us know that our room was ready for us (we arrived prior to the stated 3:00pm check-in time) and led us to the room. It was unusually hot that day so he had taken the liberty of turning on the AC in the room before we arrived so the room was cool and comfortable as soon as we entered. We stayed in the Arts District room which is on the 3rd floor. The room was cute and the king sized bed was comfortable. The bathroom was quite large and funky in a great way. The inn has loads of sitting rooms and porches and balconies and a cupola and alcoves and a billiards room. Since we were there for only one night we were not able to take advantage of all of the amenities but they all were beautifully appointed and other guests seemed to be enjoying them immensely. So why only four stars? Ok, here are my very picky reasons for the four star rating:

AC: It was great to have AC on such a hot day and night. However, the window unit was old and noisy and even on the regular cool setting the compressor was loud and clunky, which meant that we heard it all night long, and not in a good way. So on the plus side, it worked and we were cool and comfortable, but the noise was disturbing. Investing in some quieter window units or even in some of the newer Dyson floor coolers would be a huge improvement.

Light at 5:30AM: I understand wanting to retain the charm of the 1920s feel of the house, but a good set of light blocking shades or curtains is a must in a hotel/inn. The shades in our room let the light in at 5:30AM, which is less than ideal for folks who would like to sleep in a bit on their vacation.

Breakfast: The dining room is beautiful and clean and the owner was friendly and attentive. However, while breakfast was very tasty, it was all sweet foods. Raspberry coffee cake followed by stuffed blueberry french toast with one slice of bacon is likely to put one into diabetic shock. I totally understand wanting to serve foods that can be made ahead of time, but there needs to be a savory to go with the sweet. A quiche or a casserole or even hard boiled eggs with toast or cottage cheese would be fantastic. The owner did let us know that he would be happy to make us something else but I did not want to put him out as he was clearly covering the breakfast and everything else with just one other staff member.

So, all of that said, I would absolutely stay again, and in fact I hope to do so if not this year then certainly next June. I would also highly recommend it to others wanting to stay at a unique, beautiful and welcoming B&B in Portland.

leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for a few nights recently. Found the hosts and all the staff very friendly. We absolutely loved the place. OK maybe it doesn't have fantastic TVs in the rooms, and the bathrooms aren't amazing, but it has style, elegance and some lovely spaces where you can relax. Number of good restaurants a short walk away.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We really enjoyed staying at the Danforth! The hotel was super super cute and we really liked our room (Monument Square). The room was nicely sized on the 3rd floor with a great bathroom. Each floor of the hotel had a common room for the guests to sit in, enjoy coffee/tea, etc. We really liked the balcony on the 2nd floor and the Cupola on the 4th floor for hanging out. The breakfast was really nice too. The innkeeper was super helpful with check in and recommendations for us as well.

Room Tip: We really like the Monument Square room, but I think you really couldn't go wrong.
Castine, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Great building with charm but interior needs updating,and was just missing on many little things that an Inn of this quality should provide.Breakfast was ok but not outstanding.Location ok but need car to take in old port area. I would like to come back after new owners are finished with renovations.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Danforth? Share your experiences!