“Nice spot for dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #146 of 540 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: If you’re looking for the best steakhouse in Portland, Maine you have come to the right place! The Grill Room features affordable, wood-fired, grilled steaks, delicious pizza and incredible seafood entrees the whole family will love.Chef Lee Harding has dedicated his life to the culinary arts and focuses on using grass fed beef & locally grown meats and produce in his creations. With high ceilings and a big, open kitchen, The Grill Room aims to please with more than just great food at affordable prices. If you have never been dining in Portland, Maine, it is quite an experience! There are so many restaurants to choose from that only award-winning restaurants, like The Grill Room, tend to stand out from the crowd.The Grill Room is the second restaurant founded in Harding’s “The Rooms” brand of restaurants. Since 2008, the Grill Room has been featured in many of Maine’s top publications as a “Best Bet” for Portland Maine food. Come in and try the now famous beef tartare, or a juicy wood-fired pizza or grilled steak. Open seven days a week, The Grill Room offers lunch and dinner selections with a healthy wine and drink list. Visit The Grill Room today and find out what a Portland, Maine steakhouse should be like.
Maine
“Nice spot for dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Came here on the spur of the moment one evening after a movie. Was surprised when we were seated with very little wait. I had scallops which were prepared just right with a tasty sauce. Also enjoyed the roasted asparagus. My friend was a little hesitant to go here as she been once for lunch and wasn't impressed. She had a steak and gave it a great review. Good atmosphere. Would have liked to sit outside but the wait was pretty long. Definitely worth a second visit.

Saco, Maine
“Really Good Food, Nice Place *”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I've eaten at the Grill Room several times, both for lunch and dinner. The food is consistently excellent (esp. their french fries with sea salt) as is the service. The open kitchen provides some entertainment, although it can get a little warm if you sit near the kitchen. On our most recent visit, I had the hanger steak and fries and my wife had the nightly special, which was a center cut of ribeye served on a bed of foie gras mashed potatoes and a side of garlic sauteed broccoli. All of the food was very good.

Now for the explanation of the asterisk (*) in the title...our server described the specials to us and proclaimed that the cut of ribeye was the center of the ribeye and was locally raised at Pineland Farms, etc. He went on to provide the backstory of the locally raised duck who had sacrificed his life to provide the foie gras, as well as the source of the broccoli. The one thing that he didn't mention was the price of the special which, I later discovered was $55. I'm not opposed to paying $$$ for excellent food and service, but I do like to know "up front." I guess I was remiss for not asking, but foolishly assumed that the price of the "special" would generally be in line with the other entrees...NOT!! Anyway, the food was very good, but I don't care if the steak was carved directly from the cow that jumped over the moon and the foie gras came from Daffy Duck himself, $55 is a little much. After all, this is still the Old Port in Portland, not the Champs Elysee. I'm sure I'll return to the Grill Room and to Harding Lee Smith's other restuarants as well, but I'll be sure to ask the price of any "specials."

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hollis, New Hampshire
“Local and fresh food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I were wandering through Portland with our 2 1/2 month old and we were looking for an easy place to grab lunch. The outdoor seating was what caught our attention and the menu had many great options. Being a vegetarian, it's not always easy to find a good meal but there were plenty of options here. The food was really good. My husband had the steak and cheese salad which is actually made with raw beef. It was his first time having raw beef and it had a great flavor. He was very happy. I had their salad special of the day and it was also very flavorful. What I love most about the food is that is locally grown...even the beef!! It's so wonderful to know where the food you are eating comes from. The service was great, and we would definitely return in the future.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Columbia, MD
“Fresh and local ingredients a plus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This busy well situated restaurant has a fine menu where the sides were as special as the fish or meat main course. The mussel appetizer was perfect, seasoned with obviously fresh and local tomatoes and herbs. The Maine mussels were very fresh, succulent and perfectly cooked - probably the best I ever had. Delicious Swiss chard and mushroom risotto. My plate was not hot and was sent back for reheating. Scallops were fresh, but slightly undercooked. We ate outside, as all tables were booked on a Wednesday evening. Make a reservation.

Rome
“A stunning steakhouse experience in Portland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My review's title explains by it self. So good meat and so good wine red, of course. Tipical and crowded. I eat outside, in a lovely summer evening and enjoy, Excellence in quality and service during my meal. Go and try. Gabriele - Rome - Italy

• 5 of 5 stars Food