“Great expensive food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
vermont
“Great expensive food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

We went to the location on forestreet. We had excellent friendly service. The food was wonderful! We tried several different things and even had the dessert. We really enjoyed it, but it did cost us!

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Portland, Maine
“Unbelievable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

If you've paid attention to any of my previous reviews, you may have seen me write "The best breakfast..." or "The best steak...", etc, and I really DO mean it, despite my zealous passion for food! Well, now it's Japan's time to take my vote, and, funnily enough, the Chef/Creator is from California - not Japan.

'Miyake' is a tiny Japanese Sushi restaurant in downtown Portland, ME, without a bar but a BYOB option. The location is nice and quiet; the restaurant is decorated simply and beautifully. Reservations are recommended as this place comes highly regarded and fills up quickly. We've eaten at several Sushi restaurants in Portland, and others throughout MA and NH. 'Miyake' is by far THE BEST. I ordered the "Chef's Choice 5-Course" option. It was pure magic - each and every bite blissfull. The Chef is outstanding!

Service was excellent. Our waitress was friendly, attentive, and very knowledgeable of all the food on the menu and what we should expect to taste. We dropped $100, plus $20 for a tip, and I'd happily pay more if I had to (we're not rich by the way - far from it, in fact!), but we believe the food, service and overall experience is unbeatable and worth the value!

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Durham, New Hampshire
“Better suited for Vegas--very dissapointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

When it was a hole in the wall with an amazing chef, Miyake used to be one of the Jewels of Portland dining. In their new digs the chef Masa is still there but at this early date some of the magic is gone.

The new location seems better suited for Las Vegas than Portland.
Had the seven course tasting menu, and while some of the course were great, some repeated themselves. Some of the fish was very fresh but some was no better than your average neighborhood sushi restraunt.Also the wine parings were totally uninspired.

When you are paying over 150 per person you expect an amazing experience. This fell far short.

They obviously care deeply about the food and hopefully as they get used to the bigger space it will get better

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Just north of LA, CA
“NOT impressed !!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

I had dinner with a friend here in late June and was seriously disappointed !!. I live in LA and am spoiled with great sushi ALL the time ( generous portions and fair prices) so this place charges $5.00 for one tiny piece of sushi with small fish and way more rice.. which is crazy expensive by LA standards for basic tuna and yellowtail . ( not 2 pieces per order...) AND the kicker is they tried to charge me for pickled ginger??????. That would be like McDonald's trying to charge for ketchup or salt.
Ginger is incredibly cheap and plentiful and I have NEVER ever had this come up before. I love pickled ginger and ate all that they gave me tiny servings with each dish) and when I asked for more and that was when I was told that that after the 3rd tiny serving that they would have to charge.. R u kidding me???? This place has presumptious waitstaff ...a tiny restaurant space with a totally inconvenient table right in the middle of the restaurant that no one would want to sit at.. unless u like eating in the middle of the Freeway... It's BYOB which is OK as long as the deli right down the street is still open. (Try the Yuzu infused sake GREAT!! )
Also when i called for info and reserves ALL I ever got was an answering machine and they never called back..!! With that said the the items we got were very well done ...the Omikase was superb !!
But these folks need to drop the uber snob crap in Portland.. Really... it wouldn't fly in LA and they have the potential for a great thing......

• Visited June 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Avon, Connecticut
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Even though I am not a big fish eater, my husband wanted to try Miyake. With four of us, we were able to try several dishes and I must admit the weakest was the non-fish pork belly. Though the prices are a bit steep, dinner is more affordable since one can bring their own wine and/or beer. Yes, if I had one night in Portland, Maine I WOULD return to Miyaki.

• Visited June 2011