“Try the Greek comfort food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Maine
“Try the Greek comfort food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Last week my husband and I had a very memorable meal here. At our waiter's suggestion, we started with the scallop and chicken liver appetizers. (I won't try to describe them -- it's easier to look at the menu on their website.) Both were amazing! The scallops were cooked perfectly, as were the livers. Both had a depth of flavor that was also obvious my my moussaka and hubby's ribs. The spices were spot on for all the dishes. It's hard to convey what a sumptuous eating experience this was.
We are in Portland about once a month and finally made it here. No doubt we will be back soon. The food, location, and friendly/helpful staff and owner are all pluses.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

NH
“An all around pleasant experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I went for dinner this week with my daughter, and had an all around lovely meal. Our waitstaff was very helpful, especially when helping us decide on a wine. I was not familiar with the Greek wine selections, but enjoyed our choice, after a good rendering from our waitress. We had an octopus app. which was perfect in taste and texture. For our entrees we had duck, and a grilled doraude, my spelling may be off (fish) my daughters duck was done nicely, moist, and with just enough of a hint of the fat that brought a great flavor. My fish was equally satisfying. I like fish to be simple, so not to drown any natural flavor, and this hit it on the mark.
Desert was another treat, with a simple berry medley with marzcapone. I was recommended an after dinner drink of Meztaca (sp) , which was not a taste that worked for me.
The restaurant was pleasant, as was the staff. I note other reviews commented on the prices, though I felt they were completely in keeping with selections, and quality of the food and service. This is not just another nice restaurant, but a fine departure from the same old, same old.

Portland, Maine
“Best atmosphere, best food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I dined at Emilitsa several times now and every time I left the restaurant with a great smile on my face and and happy belly!
The food is nothing but best quality and I am always amazed by the perfect balance of flavours and presentation! I ate in Greece many times and I have to say Emilitsa has taken Greek food to another level. Excellent quality, fantastic taste and outstanding service! The owners are incredibly friendly and professional and they bring their passion for great food in every dish that comes out of the kitchen. Moussaka is my all times favourite, but there is nothing on the menu that I would not advice. It is a MUST go to place in Portland!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing Greek food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

So, I am from the DC metro area, and there is a large Greek population where I am at, so of course I am always going to Greek restaurants, festivals, and tastings. So that being said, this was some of the best Moussaka that I have ever had. It was delicious! It was a perfect blend of spices, eggplant, sauce, and beef. There was even little slivers of Greek yogurt at the bottom to add to the flavor. The service was suburb and the atmosphere was intimate and romantic. I would definitely suggest this place to anyone that has an appreciation of Greek food. My bf also had the souvlaki and the desert options were good as well. If in Portland, as must go.

• Visited September 2013
Lebanon, NH
“Delicious meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We went to Emilitsa on our first night in Portland and we loved it. I was craving Greek food and it was delicious. As appetizer I had the sheeps milk cheese flambé with local whiskey ( metaxa I believe) and my friend had the jalapeño dip. The pita was fresh and good. Then he had the chicken and I had the spanakopita ( appetizer menu). Dessert was wonderful as well. He had the berries and metaxa and I had the baklava. Fantastic ! Wine was also good.

• Visited September 2013