“Only Stale Water at Poland Spring Resort... And you have to pay for it!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Poland Spring Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Poland Springs
Poland Spring Resort
You added Poland Spring Resort to your Saves list
640 Maine Street, Poland Springs, ME 04274   |
Special Rate
Stay & Play $79 midweek
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Poland Springs
Boston, Massachusetts
“Only Stale Water at Poland Spring Resort... And you have to pay for it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We had high hopes of a nice, relaxing weekend getaway and felt especially comforted upon entering the resort to see a big sign reading "stress free zone". Later that sign became the biggest joke to us all!

The decor is passé and certainly obsolete. The room was musty and made me fear for my health when needing to shower. There were no toiletries and certainly no token bottle of Poland Spring Water beside my bed! We were warmly welcomed by the staff, whom were very pleasant but we quickly began to feel sorry for them having to represent whomever makes these management decisions. We were eagerly invited to our "free dinner buffet" which was a nice gesture but the hours it was served were certainly that reserved for senior citizens. The selections tastefully catered to heart attack and high cholesterol 101, where have these people been the last 20 years? Our 1970’s TV was adorned with a real, authentic “bunny ear” antenna that we actually took a picture of the show the kids what life used to be like back in the day!

We were certainly glad we didn't take the kids as basically there were so many rules everywhere you went we might as well locked them in the car for the weekend. Rules for adults too! Oh, now so frustrated ordered a glass of wine at the bar and not only were the selections poor but the glass was half the size of a normal wine glass... hence, trying to limit my consumption at full price? If we are amateurs with back woods expectations, then fine but certainly not the resort for relaxation, pampering and general comfort (did we mention how bad the mattress was??)....

Room Tip: Choose another resort!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Maine_history, Owner at Poland Spring Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
I am sorry these guest did not enjoy their weekend. We try very hard to please our customers, I wish that they had come to the desk and asked for a Maine Inn room if they were not happy at the Presidential Inn.

We try very hard to explain Poland Spring uniqueness completely in our brochure and on the web. The property started as a stage coach stop in 1794, there are 3 Inns and 10 cottages available. Each building has its own character.

The room that they choose was located at our Presidential Inn, built in 1912, remodeled in 1982. In all of literature and web, it states "Step back in time, and enjoy this Victorian classic.... " and it also tells the guest that this building does not have cable, as the Maine Inn and the Lodge do have cable. Our brochure also explains that we do not provide shampoo and conditioner, as most people prefer their own brand but is available at the front desk. When I have traveled I have seen some hotels do put bottle water in their hotel rooms with a price tag on it. We are neighbors of Poland Spring Water, they do not own the resort, as such we do sell their water at the gift shops.

The main dining room also serves as our entertainment area, entertainment begins at 8 PM, dinner is served from 5 - 7:15 PM to allow time for us to ready for the evening entertainment. The Dockside restaurant serves until 9 PM.

Our wine selection is house brands by the glass and premium brands available by the bottle. We have 6.5 white wine glasses that are filled to the rim and red wine glasses that are 9 ounce glasses filled to the 6 ounce line.

As far as the mattress, we check each mattress every spring and replace as needed. I am sorry that it wasn't to their expectation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Gorham, Maine, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was at your resort July 20, 21, 22 for a family reunion. At great time was had by all and we found your resort beautiful. Gorgeous views and we enjoyed the meal plan. Your staff was "over the top" helpful. My family stayed at the Lodge and we received EXCELLENT service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your nice review and we are very pleased that your family reunion was a success.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Not sure where to start but let's look at the positives. Nice grounds, great front porch to set on and have a drink or a cup of coffee.That's it!

The negatives - I was extremely disappointed with the room, really shabby lacking any amenities. No phone,radio or internet access, The way it was furnished seemed like it was out of the 50's but not in a good way. The room smelled like the rest of the place kind of a combination of stale smoke, air freshener and mold.

At night I woke up hearing a strange sound coming from the bathroom, when I looked into it I saw the styrafoam dropped ceiling tiles moving up and down making the noise as they brushed against the metal frames. I looked into why that was happening and the best I could figure was that there was a strong breeze going on above the ceiling tiles causing them to flutter as the air went through. Of course the hot water ran out while I was taking a shower in the morning.

There are no coffee makers in the room and after trying the cafeteria coffee we opted for Starbucks instant coffee that we brought with us.At the front desk the cost of a cup of hot water is 1.50 You can also RENT a blow dryer here(there are none in the rooms) or pay for ice.There is no shampoo in the rooms but you can buy some body wash that doubles as shampoo.

Dinner is included ion the overpriced room but it's worse than school cafeteria food although you could eat all you want I can't imagine anyone going for seconds. It was that unappealing.

If you are planing to be in the area and looking for a place to stay save yourself the trouble and look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose a different place to stay. If other places are full sleep in your car
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Poland Springs hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This was absolutely, beyond a doubt the most terrible place I have ever stayed. I can't believe they get away with the term "resort" unless it is a euphemism for nursing home. WHere do I even begin? The tacky lobby? The worn indoor/outdoor carpeting? The metal doors with the locks bored out at the end of our ward ..oops.. I mean wing? There ARE NO PHONES IN THE ROOM, what "resort" has only a single bar of soap in the bathroom? The decor was "70's grotesque" Think the cheapest pressboard furniture and bad mattress. The TV (a 15", early eighties model) looked like someone had picked it up at a dump swap. I got this deal through Buy-with-me, a now defunct (shocker) coupon site and so had no way of a refund. We actually stayed the night after golfing (the course is pretty nice) We said we would have breakfast (included) then leave. The institutional cafeteria had a line where "lunch ladies" spooned out your serving of tepid scrambled eggs, the coffee was self-serve with only toxic plastic cups available. I AM NOT KIDDING. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. As we checked out (a day early) the receptionist (owner?) didn't even bother to ask why.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Spring Lake, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have so much to say that I don't quite know where to start.
My boyfriend and I came to Poland Spring for a quick getaway. We came away with so much more than a typical vacation. We hiked, took the cultural/historical tours of the Preservation Building and The Source. We explored "The Gems of 26", went to Portland, ate lobster and visited more than one Lighthouse. We even played ping pong and checkers. When was the last time you got off the internet and phone and just played board games?
We got involved with the other guests and became friends. We met a wonderful couple and spent some time chatting with them. Turns out that the gentleman was a runner, which is a hobby that I also enjoy. He ran many marathons, the Swiss Alps and even ran a 100 mile 24 hour race. Turns out that he is also a proud WWII vet and is 85 years old!!!
My partner and I are 46 and 50 years old and never once did we feel out of place. Quite the opposite, we got involved, talked to people and had a blast! In fact, I have decided that we won't show our faces on the dance floor again until we've had lessons. Those "old"people wiped the floor with us.

The rooms at the Presidential Inn were spotless and the food was plentiful and good.

When we left I looked at my boyfriend and said "Usually after a vacation I'm ready to go home,I'm not ready to go home"
We've made reservations for next year, and I can't wait to show off my new dance moves.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I giggle a bit at some of the other reviews on this resort, because I found my experience at the property to be pretty much what I would expect in Maine. The hotel is not marketed as a business hotel with all the latest amenities, but rather a relaxing getaway. That is exactly what it is.

The property is beautiful and peaceful. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are very clean. It is not the most modern hotel, but I stayed at the Maine Inn. The room was adequate and on par if not a step up from other inns in the area. I have stayed in Maine a lot and was happy to find A/C and a TV. Many Inns up there do not have those amenities.

The supper and breakfast were included with the rate, making this quite a value. If you do not wish to partake in the evening's dining at the inn, there is a restaurant about a half mile down the road, Cindy's Dockside, I believe that had a varied menu. Food was good and reasonably priced.

During my stay, I was able to take in one of the local theater events held in the dining room. Nunsense was performed and was very entertaining. It's not the Las Vegas level show, but it was entertaining and there is definately talent in the area.

The resort is not for everyone, but it is a good value and a good option if you just want to get away from the day to day grind in a laid back golf and rocking chair type atmosphere.

Room Tip: Stay in the Maine Inn. There are rooms with great views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Augusta, ME
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

For YEARS a group of close friends, my husband and myself included, went to this place for our annual bocci tournament (they have a great court). Then, one of the other couples adopted a baby, and the Inn did not take children. The couple refused to leave the child behind, so we found other places to go. The child grew up----the Inn now took kids, but, in the meantime, enter THE DOGS. We, and another couple, got'em (OK, it is a well known fact that the baby boomers replaced their grown up kids with dogs!!!), and the Inn did not allow pets. FOR YEARS I begged, pleaded, laid out the financial advantages of being pet friendly, etc. All to no avail. THEN A MIRACLE HAPPENED. The Inn is now pet friendly in one building (which happens to be our favorite, anyway) in four rooms. WHAT JOY. We are planning a Poland Spring Inn reunion there this fall for our bocci tourney. And we will be taking the dogs.

Now, all this said, this place is NOT for everyone. It is funky. There's LOTS of food, but it isn't gourmet, so don't expect it. Do expect wicked good red flannel hash the morning AFTER the Irish weekend supper when they serve corned beef and cabbage. So what if it reminds you of summer camp. We all liked summer camp, anyway. For us, it's kind of like "The Big Chill" meets a week at Camp Wildflower. At least one of the cabins is, IMHO, haunted. We stayed in one once as a whole group, and I didn't sleep a wink while I waited for some spirit or other, that I could sense, to appear. WHAT FUN. There's a Confederate soldier buried on the grounds. THAT is quite the story. The library is dark and deep. Very cool, even on hot days. The stairs creak. The pipes in the bathroom grumble. The pool is always refreshing. Don't golf, so don't know, but the course is well known. You can talk politics here. You can sleep in late. You can play lawn games like you did when you were a kid. You can chase fireflies. Or your kids, or grandkids, can. (I DO plan to bring mine here, by the way). What you CAN'T do here is be a snob. It isn't that kind of place. Don't come if your idea of the perfect place to stay is an upgraded urban hotel. You won't like it, and you won't fit in. Do come if you want to make good memories in a lovely setting, and a refreshing step back in time.

Thanks, Cindy, for FINALLY making the Inn pet friendly. See you this fall. R.I.P. Mel.

Room Tip: Check out ALL the choices on their website. Then pick the one that suits you best.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Poland Spring Resort? Share your experiences!