“If you are in the Portland area, you really should do this.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 Attractions in Peaks Island
More attraction details
Owner description: Sea kayaking - half & full day tours in Casco Bay! Maine
North Yarmouth, Maine
“If you are in the Portland area, you really should do this.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family and I keep coming back to Maine Island Kayak at least two to three times each summer and fall. We are not expert kayakers by any means and so it's great to have Joe be our guide. He is very expert, and thorough in prepping everyone for our one day adventure. As we have done this a few times, Joe has adjusted the overall difficulty and challenge to our skill level which makes for a great time. Then there's being out on the ocean and the islands. We have been to an abandoned fort, a difficult to reach lighthouse ( this was the challenge part) , a couple ship wrecks and quite a few islands. We have seen ospreys, seals, and these very odd birds called cormorants.
This is my favorite way to get away from the stress of my day to day life becuase it's just you and the ocean. Getting to the far side of Peaks Island gives you a complete view of open ocean which I love.
After your trip, I highly recommend having some ice cream at the corner shop near the ferry landing. All the restaurants on the island are within a 3 minute walk from the landing and the ferry terminal.
Even if you have never kayaked before, you will not be disappointed.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“A safe, guided tour of Maine island, close to Portland, Maine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was one of the best things we did on our vacation. We were in Portland for 3 days and decided to go to one of the city's islands. A 15 minute ferry ride later and we were on a lovely, private beach getting ready to strike out on a 3 hour adventure.

The guide and owner, Joe, gave us a quick lesson and made sure the kayaks fit us properly. (They had several styles). The islands were lovely and we were able to visit one light house that you otherwise would not be able to access. What I was not expecting was to see so much wildlife. I counted several cormorants, a loon, seals and several very striking black and white eider ducks. At the light house we saw an egret in her nest.

From there we visited a Civil War era fort, and paddled up to the ancient remains of 3 wrecked ships. And this was just the half day trip. My wife and I agreed that we may not have been up for whatever a full day trip entailed.

16 attraction reviews
“Unique way to see coastal Maine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The kayaking company is located on Peaks Island in Maine's Casco Bay. Your adventure begins by taking the ferry from Portland and after a 15 minute ferry ride, you dock at Peaks Island. Waiting for you holding a kayak paddle is Joe, the owner. He is understanding about all paddling abilities and takes the time to give an instructional lesson and safety issues prior to leaving land. The tour takes you around the islands in the bay in which you will see rocky cliffs, Civil War forts and a beautiful coast line. You can select a half day trip ( 3 hours) or a full day ( 6 hours which includes lunch). A great day on the water!