“Team Stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Burlington, Vermont, United States
“Team Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Everything went very smoothly (from initial contact all the way through the stay). The staff was very helpful and we enjoyed our stay. They can expect our business again next season. Tracey was very polite and always in contact to make sure we had everything we needed.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012 via mobile

Place is kinda grungy, no big deal. What gets it on the list of absolute worst places Ive ever stayed- poor customer service and mice. When you are greeted by a mouse at 3am and have to switch rooms - I dont know - maybe you should close the room off, put a mousetrap in, call the owner..exterminator. Not wake us up at 10am explaining we can't a much later checkout. Disgusting. This place should be closed down by the board of health.

• Stayed January 2012
traceywhitten23, Owner at University Inn Academic Suites, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
This review is very inaccurate. This guest checked in and paid for two rooms for DJ's at a local bar. A man from the second room returned at 2 am and asked to be moved to another room because he saw a mouse. When we went in the next morning to investigate a potential mouse (we've never had this problem before), there was someone sleeping in the bed of the vacated room.They had given the room with the supposed mouse to some extra people who showed up who did not have a room. We could not vacate either room until 2 pm. As a result of this "supposed mouse", they took it upon themselves to basically steal a third room. There was no evidence of any mouse, nor they did they have the right to keep the room they asked to leave. They were charged for the third room and also for violating our smoking policy.
Nova Scotia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Stayed here on Nov. 11 & 12, 2011 for a three day shopping excursion in Bangor. I found it a benefit to have the full breakfast as it saved time not having to wait in a line at Denny's and then wait for service. Rooms are clean and beds are comfortable. There is no coffee maker in the room but coffee is available in the lobby in take-out cups with covers as is an ice machine. Sink is in a separate area from the toilet and tub. Fan was very noisy and on the same switch as the bathroom light so it wasn't an option to shut the fan off.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
traceywhitten23, Owner at University Inn Academic Suites, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you very much for your review. We are pleased to announce that since your stay we have completed many renovations which include adding mini-refrigerators, microwaves, and Keurig coffee makers to all of our guest rooms. We are also in the process of replacing all of the fan units in the bathrooms, with over half of them already completed. We hope that you would consider staying with again in the future if you should ever return to the Bangor area.
Hanover, NH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

The University Inn is one of the worst hotels that I have ever stayed at. I was assigned to a room (#101) that is directly beneath the only stairwell in the building. All night long, I had to listen to guests walking up and down the stairs. With all of the times that I got woken up, I barely got more than 2 straight hours of sleep.

The next morning, I asked the lady at the check-in desk if it would be possible for me to switch rooms. She said that there was one guest who hadn't shown up the previous night, so she would let me switch if he didn't come by a certain time of the day. She seemed optimistic, so I felt reassured that something might change.

However, when I stopped by the desk later in the day, I was told that they had sold the extra room and now there are no other rooms! Apparently, the previous lady at the check-in desk hadn't told the new lady that she had promised us the room. Ugh. If there was a single other hotel in town with a vacancy, I would switch right now (even though I'd get stuck paying for two rooms).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
traceywhitten23, Owner at University Inn Academic Suites, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
This is a very unfortunate review that should have been avoided. For clarification, Room 101 is not below a staircase, it is across the hall from a staircase. Regardless, this guest obviously did not like her location and did request a move. As she accurately stated, she did ask early in the morning, before the day crew arrived, if there were any way she could move. The overnight person discussed the one no-show from the night before which is the possible room she could have moved to.

When the day crew arrived at 8 a.m., this situation was discussed and it was determined that we in fact, could move this guest. Unfortunately, she was in a conference and we had no way of contacting her. We considered moving her things ourselves so we could clean the room she currently occupied, as it was our only available room during Friends and Family weekend. When the maid crew entered her room, they discussed with the front desk, called me (the owner) and we collectively decided due to the volume of her personal items, not to move her things ourselves. If she were packed and it was a matter of simply moving a suitcase and a few personal effects, we would have made the move for her. She returned long after the cleaning staff left, between 8 and 9 p.m. and expected to move then. At that point, it was too late. We would have gladly moved her but did not feel comfortable with the amount of unpacked personal belongings.

This is the first complaint from this room regarding the stairs I have seen in my 10 years of ownership. My point here is not to deny her unhappiness with her location, but merely to state that this is a very unique complaint and not a common occurrence.
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

I used to really like this place and stayed here when visiting my daughter at college, as well as business trips to the region. The prices were reasonable and the location is very convenient to the college. The current owner, however, has made it much less friendly, After a remodel, the prices went up and the owner became rigid. I have 3 issues:

1) We had a very sudden death of a close family member the first night of our 3-night stay and needed to leave a night earlier than planned to fly back. Despite more than 24 hour notice, the owner wanted to charge us full-price for the night we needed to cancel, because we had already "checked-in" and it was graduation weekend so the prices were higher. This, in spite of allowing someone else to cancel a reservation right in front of me who had not yet checked in. Very callous. It is clear that this owner cares much more about making money than doing the right thing...which is sad. On this point alone, I would NEVER stay here again and put money in the pocket of someone so cold and uncaring.

2) During the summer, there is an open bar at the pool and community members come to the pool to party. This is fine for a large hotel Vegas. But, this is a small hotel in a small town in Maine. If you want a nice quiet room, or a relaxing swim, this could be an issue. On the other hand, if you want to see doughy pink people with back tattoos, this could be your place!

3) The jack-up prices for special events like graduation. While this may not be that uncommon (supply and demand and all of that), I still find it a bit sleazy. That could be just me.

The rooms are as the other reviews say: Well appointed and spacious. Except for the owner, who always seems to be on the phone being a mover and a shaker in the vibrant business world of Orono, Maine, the staff has always been wonderful, although not able to make decisions on their own when flexibility is needed. While the property is fine for its age, I would not stay here again because of the owners attitude and priorities.

Room Tip: Go upstairs away from the pool. Rooms can be warm on the winter...it is nice to bea ble to open the...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
traceywhitten23, Owner at University Inn Academic Suites, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
I recall this guest vividly, now months later, and some of the circumstances with his stay during graduation. He was very excited about the event upon check-in a day early, and then filled with such sadness and stress due to his personal loss and trying to arrange to get home. There have been many mourning guests over the years and I've always tried to do whatever I can in each case. Graduation weekend is an extremely busy and unique time and it was very unfortunate that this guest suffered a personal loss during what should have been a joyous occasion.

With respect to the first issue, we never like to charge a guest if we don't have to. We often waive our own cancellation policy for situational and personal issues. We wave it more often than not but in some cases, waiving it causes a financial hardship on us. In those cases, we will not wave the policy. Certainly, in a case of family death, we would attempt to sell the room and not charge the guest. I believe I offered this option to the gentleman as he attempted to make his plans regarding the situation.

We do offer our pool with bar service. If a guest ever has an issue and communicates with us, we try to resolve it. We cannot control who comes here but we are quite strict and consistent about behavior and respect to other guests. The pool is very popular and a nice destination for a quiet and relaxing day. On occasion, guests can be rowdy but it is rare and handled swiftly by us. Complaints are extremely rare.

We set our 2011 rates during the summer of 2010, prior to even planning or implementing the renovation. Those never changed even after the completion of the project. We have always raised the rates for Homecoming and Graduation which is very consistent in the industry. The 2011 rate was the same as the 2010 rate. We monitor competitors rates closely and always try to mark slightly below them. With the full hot breakfast included and very large modern rooms, we offer more for a lower rate.

Regardless of the facts here, the bottom line is, losing a guest is not why we are in business. We know our regulars by name, what they like and try to make them feel like they are staying in our home. To this guest personally, I am sorry for how you perceived the events that weekend. I am sorry for your loss and wish you the best, wherever you choose to stay.
Allen, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We were here for a family wedding... not a fancy place, but clean and comfortable. Breakfast was much better than most. They accidentally billed me twice but fixed it immediately when I called them and were very apologetic. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Cape Cod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

My wife, dog and I stayed at the University Inn Academic Suites in early September 2011. The property was very clean, the pool very nice and the staff was very attentative. The continental and hot breakfast was complimentary and was an excellent value. We spent 2 nights there and will definitely return. If a parent has a student at the University of Maine at Orono, this is THE place to stay! And you have to get a pizza at Pat's Pizza right up the street.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to University Inn Academic Suites? Share your experiences!