“Not what we expected.” 2 of 5 stars

198 East Grand Ave., Old Orchard Beach, ME 04064   |
Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
“Not what we expected.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel has cottages adjacent to the main property. My husband relocated to Maine (we are from Oklahoma) and wanted to surprise him for Thanksgiving. I spoke with the general manager on the phone initially, he was very nice. He said their largest cottage . The Captains Cottage would be available that week, and even offered to let us rent it for the smaller cottages price. My husband arrived first and paid for the week. . We did not get the cheaper rate, it was over 900 dollars. It looks nice and big from the outside and it's a short walk to the beach.. but once we went inside, they did not have the heat on for us. It was FREEZING. We had to keep coats and gloves on for nearly 3 hours. I asked specifically on the phone about the kitchen...because I planned on making dinner. I was told it had a fully equipped kitchen. No. It had an "easy bake oven". It was tiny! There was not even so
much as a knife in there. No dish stopper, I had to buy a lot of things just to function for the week. The place was filthy. Cobwebs..dust.. There was 1 thin papery blanket on the
beds. No extra blankets in the place,no extra pillows, there was 6 of us, 3 towels were there. We assumed housekeeping would be in during the week... nope. Had to walk to the office everytime. The house is also severely slanted, so it makes you dizzy. The stairs are steep and slanted. Dangerous. My daughter and myself slid down them multiple times. Also there is a wooden overhanging at the bottom of the stairs, so of your tall. .you will bump your head everytime. The wrap around porch is nice.. All in all.. There are plenty of other places to rent in Old Orchard that are a better value. The Man that worked in the office was a sweetheart... And he works his tail off. He was running around all the time. And even helped us get our car out of the snow, and the neighbors.would I stay there again? Maybe in one of the rooms for an overnight. .not an extended stay or in the cottages.

• Stayed November 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

It's disappointing to find owners that over price the property during the summer months, then neglect to make improvements during the off season. I guess the Canadians will keep paying for the location and not worry about the conditions. The staff the hire tries to put on a good face but without support from the owner, they tend not to stay long. There are other places along the beach where your money would be better spent.

Room Tip: different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Old Orchard Beach hotels

Sambro, Nova Scotia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014

The beds needed some repairs and the wifi was nonexistent. Wifi is really needed when you don't have a usa cell phone with data. The towels weren't changed daily and facecloths and hand towels were not included. The rooms and grounds were otherwise clean and tidy.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Uvalde, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2014 via mobile

Well, let me begin by saying I never got a chance to see inside. My flight was a mess that day and I was to arrive very late. I called ahead and spoke with staff, they assured me that someone was available 24 hours a day and I would have no problem checking in. This was an hour and half from airport. So to my dismay when I arrived at 1:30 am, no one was to be found. No note or key awaited me. Tried to call, got an answering service who told me they could not help in any way. So I had to travel for a ways further trying to find another place to stay, very very challenging at 3:00 am. I did get a refund, but not much of an apology. I was also told by several people that, it was not a very reputable place and they would never stay there.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2014 via mobile

So was told upon booking that it was a ocean view balcony room! First lie I had a view of the grungy parking lot. Neighbor was extremely noisy tv blaring all night. Parking lot must have had a party since people were yelling till 5am.front desk staff is a joke the kid was wearing bright short shorts and no uniform for all I know it was some random person checking me in. Beds were horrible. Pillows so flat and worn out. Only half roll of toilet paper for two ppl to use for two days. I've ran a hotel and I will say crack houses were in better shape

• Stayed September 2014
United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2014

The price was decent compared to other places in the area, but you get what you pay for. I didn't have a good feeling from the start; even though it was early in the summer season everything was dinged up - scuff marks and holes on the walls, grimy carpets - clearly no offseason maintenance had been done. The room was no better. It smelled of stale smoke, some cabinets were held together with tape, almost everything in the room was thoroughly worn and stained.

It was available on short notice and the price was reasonable, plus the beach is just across the street so for one night it was not a total loss. We were expecting to ride the trolley to downtown but it doesn't run very frequently so ended up walking and it was a good ways away. There are plenty of choices in the area though and we won't be coming back here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2014

This place bites the big one! Outdated, the room had a very noisy fridge, the toilet flushed loudly, and I had to choose which electronic to plug in- the tv or the heater! It took several minutes to reroute the only extension cord. The place had cheasy and cheap furniture, the beds needed to be thrown out and the noisy fridge kept waking me up all night with the incessant cycling!
Not a place to go, even for a hookup. I'll be submitting this place to Gordon Ramsay.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Beach Inn? Share your experiences!