“very, very good! Just a few things keep it from excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Anchor Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Old Orchard Beach
Royal Anchor Resort
You added Royal Anchor Resort to your Saves list
203 E Grand Ave, Old Orchard Beach, ME 04064   |
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vermont
“very, very good! Just a few things keep it from excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Great location, in quiet, upscale part of Grand Ave away from the crowded and densely populated area of OOB. Just the spaciousness of the lay out with hotels far apart is relaxing. Assigned parking is a plus, so no looking for a space. The rooms are okay as far as size, not that large, but doable. They are absolutely immaculate, very clean and well kept up. Housekeeping was prompt and did not come too early. The pool is incredible! Large, warm, and up to 9 feet! Very appealing to us and our teenage children. Seagulls regularly came to the pool at night, but every morning it is thoroughly cleaned. The breakfast is just as advertized: a good variety continental breakfast with bagels, muffins, hard boiled eggs, cereal, and fresh fruit. However, the coffee is terribly weak. I think this could be improved if they made it just a bit stronger. The balconies are real balconies; very spacious with nice lounge chairs and terrific ocean view even from the B rooms. No air conditioning was no problem at all. Even on the hottest days the combo of an open balcony door, ceiling fan, and extra fan they give for no charge made th room comfy during the day.

So with all this great stuff, what keeps me from rating this place excellent? A couple of major things. For the price, the bathrooms are incredibly tiny, tiny, tiny. Uncomfortably tiny.
I can't for the life of me understand why they charge 15$ extra a night per kid for children with their parents. And then they charge nothing for a cot? Why not just charge for the cot and include kids in the price? Seems to me they are trying not to welcome families with children. Also, the locks on the door are old and possibly beginning to wear out. The wood around the door of our room was completely broken away in front of the deadbolt. A suggesion for the next round of renovatons: inspect all locks and upgrade as needed.

Having said all this, we would definitely come back here with no question. When we walked downtown and I looked at other places I almost booked, I felt very claustrophic. Buildings are literally on top of one another, which blocked any sea breeze we enjoyed at the RA. The location itself is worth staying at this upscale place.

Room Tip: B rooms are good. Don;t choose C rooms unless money is an absolute issue Second floor provides more...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My wife and I was at the location a couple of weeks ago....we were there this past weekend... with the HOT HOT HOT heat and it was comfortable even tho they do not have air conditioning--I and my wife were very comfortable--- of course we left the sliding door open and we listened to the ocean very relaxing. The rooms are large and very clean and up to date flat screen TV, Krueig coffee maker in the room, 2 chaise loungers on the porch outside of the sliding deck... which were quality loungers (not the cheapie Wal-Mart type)--great view overlooking the ocean and beach area... YES it is far from the action--- BUT that is the best part.... cause it is quiet.. just drive down and park for $3.00 (VFW) for the night and walk and walk and walk and eat and eat and eat... then drove back.... I used to stay ... down the street from the main street and the noise was loud from the action area.... so it is nice to drive back to the hotel and it is quiet....... nice breakfast and outside under umbrellas to eat( or eat inside) but better to eat outiside.... anyway up to you .... so overall... my wife and I enjoy going to this hotel each year..... and have no complaints..... Enjoy your stay....

Room Tip: Try to book early and get "direct view" of the ocean.. but have to book early .... well wo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
orland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

was lucky to find this place...directly on the ocean,the heated pool was sooo relaxing,located far enough away from the pier and center of town to get a peaceful nights QUIET sleep..owners were helpful and pleasant to talk to.couldnt seem to figure out the fan or ac and room got a bit warm in the night,but i challenge anybody to find a better stay in peak season. a+!!!

pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We have stayed 5 times at this hotel and the location is what makes this one the best hotel in my mind. It is kept very clean. As for upgrades they have added new bed lines and painted, new chairs outside of the rooms to lounge on plus 32 inch flat screen tvs. Some rooms have new corian vanity sinks and from what I hear the other rooms soon will have theirs replaced as well. Breakfast is very nice in my mind. We had blueberries in a dish one day and bananas. Strawberrys the next and grapes. They have cheese, hard boiled eggs,yogart,muffins, toast and cereals including hot oatmeal. To drink tea,coffee, hot chocolate, orange juice, apple and milk.Location on the beach is the best! Very quiet. I like the fact its not too close to the pier. I rather drive or take the trolley which stops out side of this hotel to get into town. They only have 4 rooms that have AC and they are no view rooms. The other rooms do not have AC and even though this location does not get hot hot on most days I still think in todays times this should be a added improvement to keep up to date like many of the other motels in the area now have. Beds were comfortable to me but would love to see queens instead of 2 full beds. For our family of 4 that would have been more comfortable but we still made out very well and really like Royal Anchor. I will add some photos of our room so people can see what they really look like. I did notice their prices went up this year as well. All in all its still the best location on the beach and we are very happy with this motel.

Room Tip: We like first floor rooms cause you can just walk out and no stairs. Some like the second or 3rd flo...
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We just returned from Maine yesterday. We stayed at the Royal Anchor for 4 nights and in Bar Harbor for 2. After reading all the great reviews, I had very high expectations of this hotel. I'd say it is very nice for Old Orchard Beach. However, when we checked in, the price had gone up $40 for our 4th night. I added this night on a couple days before our arrival and couldn't get a confirmation letter in the mail in time. (they do not use email) It was their word against mine. We kindly mentioned that the price we were given over the phone was different, but the woman was insistant we were wrong (she was filling in while the owners were gone that day). This was not supposed to be a part of my high expectations of this hotel. Rather than going back and forth, she charged us the higher amount, plus another deposit (another mistake which she quickly corrected), and advised us to take it up with the owners in the morning. She was definitely not going to work with us and seemed a little short. Trying not to get our vacation off to a bad start, we said ok. Well, the next day we spoke with the owner and she surprisingly also made us feel like we were mistaken and that they told us the higher amt. She said she would talk to the person whom we made the reservation with, but was not going to change the amt. Never heard another word about it. We had to pay the higher amt eventhough they quoted us less on the phone. We are very reasonable people and had they just admitted they made a mistake (instead of putting it on us), and apologized, I would have had no problem with paying the higher amt. Nowadays it's "the customer" is always wrong! Bad for business if you ask me. Anyway, our stay was fun, but would stay somewhere else next time. The beds were not comfortable, and PLEASE get some new pillows! The sheets are very tired. I found it odd there are no chairs around the pool. The breakfast needs more variety, less carbs, and more fruit. I know they make most of their money in one season so they try to keep costs down, and I get that, but to put a tiny bowl of cut strawberries or grapes out doesn't go far. Bigger coffee cups would be nice too. We never had bath towels for 4 of us, ran out of ice, and soap, thus I was always having to ask for something. Most of the time I didn't ask and we went without. Tennis court is in bad shape and basketball hoop is in parking lot so you can only play when no one was parked there. I did really like that they assign you a parking space. I don't know about any of the other places in OOB except by looking at reviews. I try to give an honest review because that is why they are available to us. The excellent reviews on this hotel seemed to have been written mostly by returning customers. They've seen improvements done over time here, I haven't. It makes a difference. Oh...there is no AC. It was uncomfortable at night, hard to sleep and it was only early July.

Room Tip: Some are more renovated than others. Not much privacy where the two "wings" meet.
Upstate New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My family has been going to the Royal Anchor for almost 20 years. The owners have one of the nicest locations on Old Orchard Beach. Almost mid-way between the Pier and Pine Point. At low tide it is a great walk to pine Pine Point and out onto the sand bars to look for shells. It does not have all the amenities of a hotel chain, but it is clean, well-managed and recently updated. The parking spaces are assigned and spacious. It is great to pull into the parking lot late at night and not have to search for a spot to park. Our daughter and son-in-law came up for a day (not to spend the night). For a very reasonable $25.00 they were able to park their car, and have use of the swimming pool and beachfront. This resort also offers deals to buy a season pass to park and have day use of the facility. Something to look into if you live locally. There are several restaurants within 2-3 miles, but our favorite is Rising Tide. Great food and very fair prices. There is a small store within 1 mile (towards Pine Point) where you can buy necessary items. I was pleased to find ice for under $2.00 a bag there. When our daughters were younger we had no concerns about them walking from the pool to our room alone. The owners keep a good eye on their property, but they are not intruding. There are plenty of tables and grills for cooking out. Also, within the past 3 years they have constructed a small stand to sell hotdogs, chips, sodas, icecream and other treats at very fair prices. The staff is courteous and always there to help. The continental breakfast is included. It consists of coffee, juices, milk, cereal, yogurt, fruit, pastries, english muffins/bagels and toast. But the best part about breakfast is sitting outside to have a convenient meal and look at the ocean.

I was looking at 3-4 reviews where this property was rated poor or terrible. When you are rating something poor or terrible because you have to open a door with a key instead of a swipe-card, or because you can only park 1 car, or because you want to stay a second night (in high season) and I will let you know tomorrow...well you need to get a life. This is one of the best spots in Old Orchard Beach. Our most recent stay was for an extended weekend because of a family party at York Beach. There are many fine places to stay in York...we stayed at The Royal Anchor and drove 45 minutes to get to the party because we know we will be satisfied...even if we have to turn a key to get into our room.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the pool get the morning sun. Rooms on the side of the pool get the afternoon/e...
Happyland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

It was very relaxing and clean! I enjoyed staying at this resort! However, it was 1.5 miles of walking distance to the pier. It wasn't too bad but it might be better to stay closer if you have small children. If you need your quiet space with your love one then this is the perfect place!

Room Tip: ocean view rooms are not really oceanview!!! I guess u can still ckeck out the nice view from the ba...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Royal Anchor Resort? Share your experiences!