“exactley what I expected.” 5 of 5 stars

Alouette Beach Resort
91 E Grand Ave, Old Orchard Beach, ME 04064   |
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Torrington, Connecticut
“exactley what I expected.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

When I called to confirm our reservation they told me it was a tiny room, the price was cheap for such a great location, just far enough from the pier to be able to walk to but not have all the foot traffic outside my door. very quiet. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast at the on site restaurant was wonderful. We are already planning our return visit next year and look forward to returning to the Alouette.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Burlington, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Alouette July 2nd-5th and were not overly impressed. We booked a standard room through Expedia after reading all of the reviews on Trip Advisor so we thought the room would be adequate. When we got there and saw our room I must admit I was pretty disappointed. It was like walking into a tiny college dorm room but with a bathroom. I don't think I have ever seen a smaller hotel room. The room was just barely wide enough for a full size bed and one night stand. The total size of the bathroom including the shower, sink and toilet was about the size of my bathtub at home. My husband and I are both of average size and we could barely even turn around in the shower without bumping into a wall. Bedning dow to shave was virtually impossible because you would hit a wall when you bent over. In fact, if you are a larger person you will probably not be able to easily get into the shower because there is a very narrow space between the sink and wall that you have to walk through to get in the shower. The bed linens were clearly very old and I definitely took the comforter off my bed before sleeping because it looked like it had not been washed in quite some time. The one positive thing I can say about the room itself is that the mini-fridge worked well to keep soda, milk, etc in. It kept everything nice and cold.

The location of the Alouette is pretty good. It is right on the beach and is about .7 miles from the pier. It was nice to be able to just walk out of our room and get right onto the beach. My husband and I like to walk so we walked the beach and back and forth to town several times a day.

Another positive is that they do allow dogs. In fact my husband and I are considering bringing our dog in September so we might be willing to stay at the Alouette if we can book a larger room. I am not exagerating when I say that our standard room was so small that we could not have accomodated our 100lb golden retriever.The three of us would have been stepping over each other no matter where in the room we were. There are larger rooms there and those seem to be a bit nicer. From Memorial day through labor day dogs are allowed on the beach before 10am and after 5pm. The rest of the year it does not matter when they are on the beach.

So the bottom line is that I would not recommend staying at this hotel if you are booking the standard room. They are small, old and not worth the money. However, if you can book a larger room it might be worth it particularly if you are traveling with a dog.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

My family and I have been staying at the Alouette for the past 6 years. We are never disappointed and don't even bother looking for other accomodations because there is everything here to accomodate us!!! The Alouette features fabulous ocean view rooms, great restaurant, amazingly friendly staff and is steps away from the beach. There are all different kinds of rooms to accomodate your needs. There is also an indoor pool, where you won't find anywhere else in Old Orchard!!!! It is also pet friendly for those travelling with dogs. There are BBQ's you can use, laundromat, picnic tables, etc...
The rooms are super clean and with many different choices. Many have kitchenettes which is great if you have children. The beach is really clean, one of the cleanest beaches we've ever been to. However, one of the things that makes you want to keep going back to a hotel is the staff, and I have to say that everyone at The Alouette are amazing!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks and see you next summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Alouette- Old Orchard Beach, Maine. A very nice family oriented resort with an exceptional Restaurant on premises. This older facility has been hosting guests for quite a number of years, based on it's vintage. Our rooms were nice, adequate, and clean, and nothing more. We had a beautiful view of the ocean right from our balcony - in fact - we slept with the porch door open- and the screen door closed. We were disturbed each and every night by a large group of men who had apparently booked a number of rooms here for a golfing trip. They stayed up each night until 11 PM- drinking beer outside of our room in the parking lot. Then they went to their rooms and talked loudly until 2:30 AM. We were then woken up by the same group who stood in the parking lot drinking coffee at 6 :30 AM. They should have known better. The owner/manager should have stopped them/ there should be a "QUIET TIME" notice posted in each room. At the least- we expect quiet from say 11 PM to 9 AM. We guess that he did not want a confrontation with a large paying crowd. I mean- this is NOT the Jersey Shore. Walk to the pier on the beach- then return on the sidewalk- it's a great easy walk. Lots of gift shops - restaurants- and grocery stores within a few blocks. Adequate and free parking. Overall- a great place to unwind and take your children. Chaise lounges available to carry to beach. Nice indoor swimming pool in case it rains.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

My friends and I visit OOB every year for a retreat, and we always stay at the Alouette's beach house. It's spacious, charming and has every amenity we could ask for. And the beach is only a stone's throw away. We had a delicious breakfast at the on-site restaurant this year; will definitely eat there again. Excellent service as always - the housekeeper even washed our dishes!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

The Allouette/Beachwalk condo has been the location for a May getaway with friends for the last several years. The location makes it easy to get in lots of walks on the beach. The owners are gracious and accomodating. The weather was extraordinary and we were able to take advantage of the deck to enjoy lunch in the sun. The condo is an older unit and not fancy in the least, but it is very comfortable, fits our needs perfectly, and it's a great value. We're already looking forward to next year!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
St. Charles, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Alouette Beach Resort was a happy choice for us. We wanted a place on the beach that wouldn't break our budget, and Alouette filled the bill perfectly. It isn't the Ritz--no fancy, expensive amenities--just good accomodations (including a laundry room), a fair product for a fair price. Our room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. We could walk out on the balcony and look directly at the ocean. We could walk the short distance out the end of the building and step right onto the beach. The owners and their employees are pleasant, friendly folks who go out of their way to be helpful. They take the time to talk to their guests and make them feel at home. In the breakfast room, I saw the owners do the same for other tourists as they did for us--sit down with a map and draw out routes to sites, point out places to be sure to visit, and recommend good places to eat. If I ever return to the Maine South Coast, I will certainly stay at Alouette, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a nice, clean place to stay. Check out Alouette's web site to see what they have to offer. Call, and they'll give you honest advice about which of their variety of accomodations best suits your needs (as they did for us). Great place. They made our stay in Maine quite enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Alouette Beach Resort? Share your experiences!