“better second time around” 4 of 5 stars

The Anchorage By the Sea
125 Shore Road, Ogunquit, ME 03907   |
Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Ogunquit
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
“better second time around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2005

Stayed at the Anchorage July '05 and Aug '04. In '04 we stayed in the old section---pros: right next to pool, grass and beach and don't have to cross road. Cons: the rooms are clean but drab and the bathroom is 2-star size which is irritating when you spend that much. We (2 adults) were outside most of the time so it didn't matter.

This summer we took 2 teens and stayed across the street in one of their cottages. Absolutely fabulous! It's newer and has beautiful decor, 2 sinks in large lav area, 2 bdrms and a pull-out sofa. Also has 3 TV's and a great kitchenette with sparkling clean dishes, utensils, pans and dishwasher. It was cheaper than getting 2 rooms. We will definitely go back there!

The only reason my rating is a 4 out of 5 is because the price is disgustingly high. You're paying for the plot of land more than the hotel however once you park you car you can walk just about everywhere!

(Except for the night that you drive to The Steakhouse in Wells, a few miles north--- top notch steaks and worth the 1- hr. wait)

I don't recommend the chowder at the Cabana by the pool- it's about $5 a cup and bland. Better off with David's ($3+ a cup) or Oarweed's.

Hope this helps---Ogunquit is awesome!

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2005

Our 3rd stay at the Anchorage, 1st time was in the Graham House which was wonderful (just my husband and I), the room was large with a huge closet, very quiet. the second time we stayed pool side, brought the kids and my mother, rather disappointing. The room was very small and the pool was way over crowded with an unruly family reunion and nothing was done about it. The third time my husband and I went back with the kids and stayed in the Garden house across the street. The room was a bit bigger than pool side, small bathroom but better than the pool side room and very quiet. I will go back for the location. The staff was always accomodating. I will not pay for ocean view or pool side, those rooms are in serious need of updating. The new pool rules (wrist bands and signing out of towels) was a bit overboard but our kids love it.

Stayed August 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2005

Really loved the location of this hotel. Situated alongside the Marginal Way and wonderful unobstructed views of the ocean. Outdoor pool and hot tub are already open and it was a huge thrill to be swimming in April. The pool facilities are excellent. The rooms are a little small and the bathrooms are tiny. Rooms were clean and the facility was very well maintained.

The outdoor and indoor pools were fantastic and the kids had a lot of fun there. We also liked the fact that the hotel is very close to town. This is a great place for families who like to hang out by the pool. I would definitely recommend a stay here. It also would be great for a family reunion.

There is a central bar/restaurant that is only offering breakfasts right now but in June will be offering breakfast, lunch and possibly dinner. This area was very pleasant and I would go back for lunch on another visit.

I hope you get a chance to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2005
Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2005

My husband and I have been going to the Anchorage every year for 15 years and have yet to have a bad experience. Must be why we keep returning. Just spend 4 days there and the staff was more than accomodating and helpful, our room excellent. Sure, as with any busy hotel/motel there are always things that can be updated but we saw many upgrades this visit that greatly improved our stay. Can't beat the view either. We are sure to stay there again, soon.

• Stayed April 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2005

My husband and I celebrate our anniversary almost every year at the Anchorage. After a rave review from a friend, we went for our 2nd anniversary and have continued the tradition for the past ten years. The atmosphere is absolutely relaxing and peaceful. It is in the most ideal location, seconds away from the Marginal Way and a quick walk to the center of Ogunquit. We have always been treated with professional courtesy by all the employess. I must agree that the bathrooms are small, but other than that you could not ask for a more wonderful place to get away. The scene is breathtaking! The overall grounds, landscaping and rooms are immaculate. As far as children go..they always appear to be enjoying themselves and we look forward to bringing our little one this year to soak up the fun!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2004

My husband and I just returned from a week in New England. Starting in Providence, RI. Ogunquit was the jewel of a wonderful week. The Anchorage by the Sea is - as it says - "by the sea" with beautiful views of the sandy shore and the rocky coast! This is a wonderful motel with a delightful staff in a wonderful place! I will be back!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2004

the hotel room was in great need of a "makeover ambush" and the staff could take lessons from the staff at Jonathan's Restaurant. We stayed on the package plan. Jonathan's was amazing. The breakfast and brunch were out of this world and the dinner was better than Arrow's.(and much cheaper) We eat out all over the world and have never had such an accomodating staff as we hadd a Jonathan's. The owner's (who were on site and working along with the rest of the staff) obviously take great pride in their business. I wish them well. thank you

Been to The Anchorage By the Sea? Share your experiences!