“Beware, this place looks nice but the food is awful!” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 82 restaurants in Ogunquit
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
Wells, ME & Boston, MA
“Beware, this place looks nice but the food is awful!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

After having wonderful dining experiences at other restaurants in Ogunquit, Wells, and Kennebunkport I was excited to try this "Chef-owned" restaurant. I read about it on my commute from Wells to Boston in the Dining Magazine where it got rave reviews as being "the best Italian food north of Boston" and made reservations for Valentine's Day. After making the reservation I saw a huge full page add in the Sentinel (local free paper) advertising a special Valentine's Day price-fix menu for couples for $55/per couple. They were offering six entree selections to choose from, plus an appetizer, a dessert, and a bottle of wine or the choice to order from the regular menu.

We arrived and the place was beautifully decorated with rose petals. We were given our menus and when I asked about the special Valentine's Day price-fix menu I was laughed at and told that they didn't do that on holidays! Apparently the Sentinel's full page ad was false advertising! Plus a snooty waiter! In Boston every restaurant has a price-fix menu of Valentine's Day as a special menu, which is why I did not call to verify whether the ad was correct - my mistake apparently.

Not wanting to make a scene and ruin the night I kept my mouth shut and proceeded to order off their regular menu, which was not cheap but I had heard good things and being from Boston, the prices were comprable. I ordered the Linguini Alfredo which is my favorite. The entrees arrived quickly but were disappointing. While the rest of the entrees were palatable (ravioli, veal, tomato sauces), my Linguini Alfredo was absolutey disgusting. I could not eat more than two bites - it tasted like dirty feet, it was not creamy at all and tasted like it came out of a box. For $16, I would have rather eaten Kraft macaroni and cheese! Even the other dishes weren't very good - the veal was tough, the sauce was only ok. I was thoroughly disappointed with the entire dining experience - the only thing I actually liked was the bread!

I spent 5 years living in Boston and enjoying the North End, so I admit I may be a bit of a food snob but I must say I would rather go to the Olive Garden chain restaurant anyday than return to Angelina's. And don't let them lure you in with a special price-fix menu - its just a gimmick to get you in there and I don't think you could get me back there if you paid me!

-The Food Snob

87% Recommend
Boston, Massachusetts
“angelina's - il buono, il brutto, e il cattivo”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

I have always taken negative restaurant reviews based on poor customer service with a grain of salt, especially considering the emotional impact of bad service usually leads to inaccurate perceptions/descriptions of the quality of the product. I had heard good things about Angelina's food, and having lived in Italy, I always look forward to great Italian food.

*****
Service/Host: (0 / 5 stars)

My family and I were celebrating a birthday this summer and had booked a reservation for 5 a few weeks earlier. Upon arrival, we found out that we were penciled in for 30 minutes later than our initial reservation. This would've been understandable and wouldn't have been much of an issue (considering it was a weekend night in the summer) if the owner wasn't such an irrational headcase about the situation. His unapologetic attitude quickly turned argumentative and my whole family was a bit shocked. He spoke as if we were incorrect and accusatory and he seemed somewhat maniacal. At that point, I thought this place must have incredible food and drink, otherwise no one would eat there.

Eventually we were seated at the leisure of the host. The subsequent table service was slow, which has never bothered my family, but I thought I should note that for those of you who like quick, hurried service. Another note: the server neglected to bring our final bottle of wine, but it showed up on the check. In case you couldn't have guessed, the owner took issue with our request to remove it from the check.

*****
Food/Wine: (2.5 / 5 stars)

Like I said, I had expected the food to be other-worldly to make up for the ridiculous owner. The appetizers and salads were very good - fresh and well prepared - and we were excited for our entrees. Our meals, however, were not as consistent. 2 of the 5 people really enjoyed their dishes, and they had ordered the same thing. The rest of us were left wishing for something beyond mediocrity. It was not an issue in portions, as most of us were full at the end of the meal, instead of flavor and preparation. One shouldn't have to worry about consistent seasoning (even as simple as salt and pepper), pasta, rice, and meat preparation, but Angelina's missed in terms of flavor and "doneness" on too many (3 different) meals for it to be an aberation from the norm.

At least they had pretty good wine.

*****
Overall Recommendation: (2 / 5)

Angelina's is not worth the risk. The food is hit-or-miss, and when it's a miss, you'll regret handing your money over to someone who doesn't appreciate your business.

If you're in the mood for great Italian food and this is truly the best Southern Maine has to offer, take the time and drive an hour north to Cinque Terre in Portland or 2 hours south to any restaurant in Boston's North End. Otherwise, eat at one of many finer restaurants in the area.

Massachsuetts
“You won't want to miss Angelina's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

I have been traveling to Ogunquit for 20 years and dined multiple times at all the area's restaurants. Angelina's is simply the best overall restaurant in Ogunquit! The food is excellent with a variety of fresh seafood and Italian cuisine. They have a nice selection of wine that includes some real gems. I especially love the atmosphere both inside and in the garden terrace. You simply can't beat the overall experience of food, atmosphere, service and price. We find the service always attentive and folks go out of the way to make it a pleasurable dining experience. Of all the Ogunquit restaurants - Angelina's is the one we return to again, and again and again!

Newton, Mass
“They won't be in business for long.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2007

Awful. Didn't stay for the dinner because the side show waiting for a table preposterous. "I thought those damn tourist were finally gone.", we heard one waiter shout. They seem to have forgotten it the tourist that keeps them in business. Hey, ever her of customer service? You won't find it here. Two big thumbs down.

Boston
“Amazing Angelina's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

My fiance and I have been to Angelina's a couple of times and have absolutely LOVED the food and atmosphere at Angelina's. We have eaten at many other restaurants all across the country and Angelina's by far is the best restaurant we have ever been to. The authentic italian cuisine is to die for and so are their fabulous drinks! I had their homemade risotto and my fiance had their braciole and were absolutely astounded at how amazing these two dishes were. In addition, the atmosphere and wait staff are excellent! We have also had the pleasure to meet the owner of Angelina's, Executive Chef David Giarusso. David is an extremely talented chef, as well as a wonderful host. He greets almost every person that walks in his restaurant and oversees everything that goes on within his restaurant. He is a wonderful guy and deserves all the recognition that he gets. I hope all of you out there who get the chance to make a trip up to Ogunquit, ME will try out Angelina's and share the same experience that my fiance and I have for the past few years.