“it was okay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Ogunquit
A TripAdvisor Member
“it was okay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2005

My husband and I went to Maine for our 15th wedding anniversary. I booked this hotel because it had a fireplace, spa tub and wireless internet hookup. The fireplace was over rated, it barely showed any flames at all, Not very romantic. The internet connection didn't work. However the spa tub was great! The front desk girl didn't seem to care that the internet connection wasn't working.....she said most of them don't and the only way they know if they work or not is if a customer complains......for the price of this place they should be in each room checking this and fix it. We run a business and needed to have access to a computer.

The room was VERY clean, the bed was hard, the pillows were something from a thrift store and if you like a quite place to sleep, this is not the answer. The rooms are located right on route 1 and all the noise comes right through the windows. Even if they are closed it sounds like they are wide open. Over all for the price I think i should have gotten better service.....or a room with working internet.

FYI If you are planning a trip to the wells area, there's a great resturant called the Steak House.....Dinners are WONDERFUL!!!!! By far the best in the area!!

• Stayed October 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2005

I have stayed at the Ogunquit Resort Motel in Ogunquit, ME many times over the years and I am very shocked that there would be bad reviews on this hotel. My stay has always been absolutely wonderful!! The staff is VERY friendly (yes they are young, but it IS summer and even college kids need jobs). They were helpful and knowledgable of the area and had great ideas on what to do. The housekeeping was also VERY friendly and kind, one of the cleanest hotels we've stayed in, and we travel all over the place. Their pool is HUGE and so nice and clean, they have a great fittness room and also a game room for the kids. They have done a lot of improvements on their property and one of the best is the addition of the breakfast nook. Before there was nowhere to sit and eat, you had to bring it back to the room or eat in the lobby (that was where it was held), but now you can sit and eat with your family. Continental breakfast is different everywhere you go... but to COMPLAIN about a FREE breakfast? Go out to eat if it's that bad, don't degrade the name of the hotel because of this. Also to comment on one of the reviews above..... It CLEARY states that there is a NO PET POLICY, right as you walk in the door, so if you did not tell them you had a pet then that is lYING and SNEAKING around and deserves an extra cleaning fee! Also in the information booklet provided in the rooms it says what area numbers are local and what are NOT, not ALL of Maine is local, just because the area code is the same in the whole state does not mean ALL calls are free!
This is a family run resort and NOT a chain, so of course there will be some differences, but all and all this is a WONDERFUL hotel!!!

Stayed August 2005
Brunswick, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2005

A post in the forum reminded me of an abstolutely AWFUL experience I had with the Ogunquit Resort Motel several years ago and motivated me to file this review, albeit long after the fact.

I spent one night there on business travel several years ago. Room was fine, rate were good (off-season) but what came after was an utter nightmare.

When I checked in I noticed I had a couple of dog biscuits in my coat pocket (from walking my dog before dropping him off for boarding). Since I planned to be gone for a week on a business trip, I didn't want the dog biscuits in my pocket all week. So, I took them out, set them on the bedside table, and though nothing more of them. Slept the night, was actually sort of proud of myself for sleeping in a small twin bed over on the side of the room and leaving the two double beds perfectly made. Left the room clean with just the one twin bed unmade, then continued on my business trip with an early start so I could make a 9 am appointment in Salem, MASS, dropped my key in the key drop box because the front desk wasn't open yet.

When my mastercard bill came in the later I was shocked by the amount. So, I called to see what why the bill was so high. First, they said they assessed a penalty for having a dog in the room. Second, they said I had placed a 20 minute long-distance call.

I had checked email on a toll-free dial-up access number, a number that is toll free anywhere in Maine. Apparently because of the way their switchboard was set up, the call was not recorded as tollfree. Basically, they wouldn't admit their switchboard was set up incorrectly; they said "if the switchboard says it is long distance, it is long distance. They held firm until I got someone from the Maine Public Service Commission to contact them and confirm that the number was toll free. Then they backed off. However, they didn't say "we are wrong, we are sorry, it's our fault, etc. " but instead something along the lines of "we are tired of you nagging us and we are going to give you your money back so you will leave us alone."

About the dog, they concocted a story about how my room was an absolute wreck, how it needed more cleaning than usual, how they couldn't rent it the next night because it was trashed. It was surreal!

They also said that a housekeeper on the early shift saw me "sneak out early" carrying my dog to the car. When I pressed to see if I could speak with the housekeeper, they said she was gone for the day. Okay, I said, when she gets in tomorrow, just ask her to tell you what kind of dog it was and then I'll send you a photo of my dog and you'll see it's not true. (I felt like I could catch them in a lie here.) When I called the next day the story had developed further. She (the housekeeper) now was sayng that she didn't actually see the dog, but saw me sneaking out carrying a box & she knew there was a dog in it because she heard the dog yipping. I pressed them to have her describe how large the box was, because my dog is close to 50 pounds, and there is no way I could carry any box that he would fit into. I never got any response on box size; instead they starting attacking me personally.

More details of their concocted story: that I had washed my dog in the tub and left the bathroom wrecked (I took a bath that morning and left probably two wet towels.)

Most of my dealings were with the manager who had absolutely no customer service skills. Apparently she has a major chip on her shoulder and is paranoid about dogs. She said stuff like "folks lie all the time about having dogs, they sneak them into rooms, we have all sort of problems with that." So, I guess that made me guilty too?

I eventually got my credit card company involved, and the bill was reduced. I suspect my credit card company just ate the charge.

Lesson learned: if I find dog biscuits on road trips now, I flush them down the toilet. :)

Just FYI, this is not a true "resort." It's simply a two-story strip motel with a pool, rooms are appointed a la Holiday Inn or any other chain, and it's located right on the side of busy Route 1. It's not in walking distance of downtown or the beach. If you can find something in walking distance, that would be wonderful as traffic (and parking) are two issues in Ogunquit in high season.

• Stayed May 2003, traveled on business
Greeley, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2005

We stayed in the Ogunquit Resort Motel suites for 3 nights in July 2005. While we didn't hate it, we didn't love it either. I'm sure there are better values out there, but read our review and decide for yourself.

The positive:
Our suite was nicely appointed with a nice sized living area, a huge full kitchen and a nice sized bedroom with a big bed. There was a pullout futon in the sitting area. There was an air conditioner in both rooms, which was extra nice since it was so bloody hot in New England when we visited. There was a nice big salt water swimming pool and a big hot tub. Maid service was timely and they did a good job. We got free HBO movie channels, and it was nice to curl up on the "couch" and watch movies at night. The trolley stops right outside, and if you are hungry, there is a pizza parlor right under the suites.

The negative:
For $200.00 a night, you think they would provide a better "continental" breakfast than a paltry selection of muffins, pastries and doughnuts. There was orange juice and milk provided, but all they gave you was a tiny dixie cup so you could have orange juice shots. There wasn't even any fruit, and the dining area reminded me of a sterile cafeteria - a small, dirty one. No points for breakfast, sorry.

The staff is basically New England college kids that are in Maine for the fun of it, and the service, well, was not very professional.

Our first night there, none of the lights worked in the sitting area of our suite, and we called in the afternoon to have maintenance come take a look. They called back and then said they were coming, then called at 9 p.m. and said they were coming, and then called back at 9:10 p.m. and said they wouldn't come till morning. So we sat in the dark the first night. The upside is that my husband complained the next day, and they fixed it and knocked $40 off our bill (should have comped the first night IMHO).

So....if you are looking to spend $200.00 a night in Ogunquit for lodging, I am betting there are better values out there. Hope this helped you!

Been to Ogunquit Resort Motel? Share your experiences!