“the very best lobster and steamers ever!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
North Carolina
“the very best lobster and steamers ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Been eating here for at least 50 years...it's the very best and nothing changes. Great food, service, and atmosphere.

Visited October 2012

Boston, Massachusetts
“Average...at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

If this is your first time to New England or a lobster place, you might really like the Lobster Pound. It is fun to go out and pick your lobster and have them cook it for you. They boil it as an FYI, which is not the norm in my experience. Most places will steam it.

The food in general is fine. The wait staff was pretty nice. The dining room looks like it is straight out of the 1950's or something and not in a good way. And for all of that, this place is downright expensive. I felt like we paid Boston prices for a mediocre lobster in Maine in a year when market prices were at historic lows. So, I was not super happy about the whole experience. Though we did not get a chance to try, I have to believe you can do better in Ogunquit.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“A big bill for small food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Ate here with my wife on our first night in Maine. Looked like a very nice restaurant and the outside lobster tank was pretty cool. My wife and I went to the tank to pick my lobster and found the experience pretty neat as there were many to choose from and they are weighed right in front of you and you are given the price then. I ordered a 2 1/2 pounder and my wife ordered the lobster Mac and cheese. Our meals came with a salad. The side salads were ridiculously small and came in what some would call a soups cup. The lobster Mac and cheese was served in a dish so small my wife laughed as it was set on the table. And this dish was 24.95 with the thimble of salad and no other side. My lobster came with one additional side. The lobster was severely over cooked and was extremely rubbery. The total price tag of our experience that left my wife still hungry was $90.00. Needless to say we found other places to eat for the rest of our stay in Maine.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Addison, Vermont
“Return after 50 years.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The last time I was here was about 50 yeras ago. What I recalled was not like the present. They have added a very nice dining room with a great wait staff. They still have the pick out your own lobster and cook/crack/serve. They have a huge cooking tank. The couple at the next table to me had never eaten lobster before. Their server explained about how to get the most from the lobster. The menu has Lobster as well as other great choices. But it is Lobster, that is the reason to go. It was so good I went the next night also, with others from our group.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Poughkeepsie
“Good but expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was very surprised at the cost of the Lobster at the Ogunquit Lobster Pound. I paid over $33.00 for a 1.75 pound lobster, which did not have a whole lot of meat inside. We went to another lobster pound, which was off the beaten path (aka Rt. 1) and paid less for twin 1 1/4 pound lobsters, which were much more satisfying. My wife ordered Scallops, which were very good. I ordered the Rasberry pie for dessert, which was a soupy mess, especially when the Ice Cream melted in to the caldera. Service was decent. I heard the couple a the next table mention that this was the first time they were able to spend less than $120.00, and the wife added "yes, because we didn't order the whole lobsters".

• Visited October 2012