“NOT FAMILY FRIENDLY” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Water Inn Beach House and Restaurant

Blue Water Inn Beach House and Restaurant
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ogunquit
Blue Water Inn Beach House and Restaurant
111 Beach Street, Ogunquit, ME 03097   |
Ranked #26 of 29 Ogunquit B&B and Inns
Massachusetts, United States
“NOT FAMILY FRIENDLY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

When booking my travel plans I had been to the area before and knew I wanted to stay by the beach. This place was one of three options, so I called all three to compare prices. When speaking to the person on the phone that person immediately asked "how many in the party?", I course said three, myself, wife, and daughter, the person who answered asked how old is the child I responded "9" to which the booking person said “no, we have nothing available for you.” I found the response odd in the way he said that thinking "gee it seems like this person just did not want to rent to a family." I found that very strange. So when we went on our vacation I made a point to go by the place to see if my suspicions were true. What I found was a sign on the door of the restaurant that said "only well behaved children allowed", and a vacancy sign hanging off the building. I went inside to inquire if they had two rooms available for my party, lying to the person at the counter saying I had 3 other adults with me looking for lodging. The counter person said by all means they had rooms for us to choose from. This was so bazaar. Maybe they just had a mass cancellation, I don't know. But the one thing that was clear to me is that this place wants nothing to do with families with children.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
mass
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My friend and I traveled up to Oqunquit for the day and found ourself eating a light and lovely lunch at the Blue Water Inn. The inn had two rooms available, so we decided to stay. Our decision was enhanced by the free beach accessible parking ( the lot by the beach was charging $25.00 a day mid-week-yikes!) and the reasonable price for the rooms.
Our stay was very pleasant. The beds were very cozy and the rooms, sparse, but clean and comfortable. The view was great, and of course, the proximity to the beach could not be beat.
On the downside: Noise from the restaurant traveled up to my room, so while I would have rathered open windows and fresh ocean air, I settled for the white noise of the ac. The shower was a problem, the water intermittently went VERY cold. Guess the plumbing is old. The continental breakfast was not too exciting-a single loaf of fresh (albeit very good) bread being the only bakery offering. Would have liked muffins, croissants, or some other choice. Also no decaf coffee. Still, minor things all in all. We would return without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

stayed in Blue river room for $95 in august, was only room we could find in Oqunquit that day!.
Its dated probably from the 80's. shared bathroom needs better shower.Not sure what time continental breakfast was available but we were up at 7.30 and no one was around.
The bed is a small double and overly soft.

Room Tip: try for a room with a shower
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Stayed in Room #8, with shower and toilet (separately) across hall. Other family members in #7 and #9 ( ensuite baths). Rooms are small, but have one closet , small chest of drawers, and hooks on the wall, plus room for one large suitcase- also good twin reading lamps over double bed. Our view of the river/estuary was great and room with higher ceiling felt snug and comfortable. It is extraordinary location for the price and feels European in ambiance. The continental breakfast was nicely laid out in the bar - with fresh fruit, juice, good coffees, fresh local bread, cheese, and an assortment of cereals. We had dinner at the restaurant, which had $20 entrees, perfectly cooked fresh green beans, and excellent potatoes - also a decent wine list and local beer. Roger, the owner, has been there since 1971 and has the warmth and good humor of a born innkeeper. Our family reunion there could not have been nicer. Be sure to walk the Marginal Way along the ocean - great views!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

I haven't stayed at this hotel, but I have eaten at their restaurant several times. Since we discovered this place we eat here at least twice each trip. The food is excellent, fresh, beautifully prepared. Favorite dishes are the seafood medley and the lobster stuffed haddock. View is spectacular and a beautiful place to be as the sun sets. Desserts are made fresh....don't miss the homemade blueberry pie. Winelist is good and prices are reasonable.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

I had a Cajun Chicken Sandwich and my wife had the Crab Cakes. Not good at all. The Crab Cakes were 90% stuffing and the quality of the Chicken was poor, very poor. This is the second time in a row we've had bad meals there. We will not return.

New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

We like this place so much we came back again. The rooms are still tiny, yes, but the beach is a stone's throw away and I don't go to the beach to spend time in my room. There is good A/C, but we rarely had to use it as the ceiling fan did just fine most of the time. No telly, but there's so much to see and do in Ogunquit I can't imagine bothering with it. The place is older but immaculate. We had a spectacular view of the Ogunquit River estuary. There is an estuary beach right across the road which is perfect for families. A family with teens could rent several rooms with shared bath for an affordable vacation.

Roger and his staff continue to be laid back and flexible. Roger's a good manager--his staff stays for years, the food is good and served quickly and things run smoothly. The restaurant is the centerpiece of the operation--if you arrive at mealtime someone will toss you a key, show you to your room and catch up with you in the morning for check in. Meanwhile, you can enjoy a meal or immediately hit the beach. We had a wonderful spinach-based salad with fruit, some feta cheese and other delights and split a terrific pasta Bolognese for lunch one day. There was plenty for each of us and it was such luxury to roll off our beach blankets, walk a few feet and be served a delicious meal.

Should it rain and that room get a wee bit close, the town center is about a block away. Lots of interesting shops, cafes, no honky tonk, a small in-town amateur theatre (the Booth Theatre) to entertain you or you can pay more for Ogunquit Playhouse's professional offerings. On a nice day it's a mere mile and a half walk along the breathtaking Marginal Way to Perkins Cove.

Blue Water Inn has become our Maine home away from home.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Water Inn Beach House and Restaurant? Share your experiences!