“Overpriced and underwhelmed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 11 Activities in Ogunquit
Boston, Massachusetts
“Overpriced and underwhelmed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I recently was given a spa day as a birthday gift...I should say that i have been going to Ogunquit since i was a kid but had never been to The Cliff House because it was so elite. I arrived for a full day of services: massage, facial, manicure, pedicure and left feeling that the treatments were overpriced and I am not certain that the people in the nail salon were actually certified nail technicians.
Massage: 50 minutes with no background music so all I heard was the therapist's deep breathing. Very surface level massage, did not concentrate on the areas of stress that he and I discussed at the onset. Have had better massages at Massage Envy, Hand & Stone, and independent places. A big let down...thought Cliff House would have the best of the best on staff.
Facial: therapist was kind but flat out said she would not be doing any extractions and actually recommended a Biore pore strip (think back to the 90s). Cliff House makes a big deal about their blueberry themed mask. It was relaxing but I won't be going back.
Manicure: horrible. Limited selection of polishes, question the credentials of my technician....hasty, messy (had to have it fixed and then it was smudged again before I left), no nail drying fans or machines, technician filed my nails, did a blueberry scrub and painted them. Better off going somewhere else and paying $10 than the OUTRAGEOUS $50 they charge.
Pedicure: technician was very nice but again I doubt she was a certified nail technician. For $70 I was expecting to feel pampered (hot stones, paraffin wax, etc) NOPE! Save your hard earned money!

Waiting area was dated with plastic flowers. There were no snacks for clients who were there for a full day of treatment...oh, correction...there was a bowl of lemons and limes and some shriveled strawberries??? Management should consider their clients needs...water with lemon only goes so far. Bottom line is my image of The Cliff House being elite was way off base. They are in need of a major upgrade to justify their high prices. Disappointed.

Visited July 2013

Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
“The friendliest, most helpful staff anywhere in Ogunquit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Ogunquit is beautiful, but most nice hotels have very snobby and unhelpful staff. This is not the case with the Cliff House! The staff from check-in, to the bartender, to the hostess and wait staff, and especially housekeeping were the nicest team of any hotel we have stayed at in Ogunquit. I left behind a pair of sandals on a recent trip, and the housekeeping department found them and called to tell me they would be mailing them to be! that is customer service at its best! can't say enough good things about this place. you will LOVE it!

Visited May 2013
Norton, Massachusetts
6 attraction reviews
“Lulled to sleep by the waves”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We spent two nights at the Cliff House with another couple who joined us after our first night. Unfortunately we were placed in the older building, on the first floor which felt somewhat musty. But, on the flip side, we were very close to the water and each evening were lulled to sleep by the sound of the ocean waves hitting the cliffside. I was lucky enough to wake early one morning to catch the sunrise over the Atlantic. Spectacular! Our friends, who stayed just one night, had a room in the new building which included a fireplace and beautiful outdoor deck overlooking the ocean. Next time I'll be sure to put in my request!

Visited August 2012
Brewster, New York
“High priced resort lacks personal charm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We just returned from a three night stay in a Spa suite. Our room was lovely, the ocean view spectacular. However, I cannot help but compare our experience with a comparably priced stay at Mohonk Mountain House, which has not only the warmth and charm (and 3 meals plus afternoon tea included!) that Cliff House lacks, but also offers so much more value for your money. At $315 a night, we got the Cliff Spa suite & view we expected, but, annoyingly, there was an extra $10 per day for internet service. Petty. Continental breakfast was listed for $13 per person. We ate full breakfasts out for less. Tiny soaps and small, rough bath towels that did not fit around a medium sized person. I cannot speak for the spa services, as we did not use them. Front desk personnel were courteous as they told us where to find luggage carts and elevators. However, in a class resort someone should be assigned to take guests' luggage upstairs for them, not merely ask whether or not we needed help. (We managed on our own.) Small things...maybe...but they make a difference in deciding whether or not you want to return to a place again and again. In retrospect, Cliff House has a lot to learn about making guests comfortable and welcome.

Visited October 2012
Greenwood, Indiana
41 attraction reviews
“Maine visit with friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I can't say anything about the Spa nor the rooms here, but I can tell you the place is beautiful, and the scenery from all rooms (from what we're told) is spectacular! Next time we go to Maine and visit Ogunquit, we will stay here!

Visited August 2012