“serviceable” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Ogunquit
NYC
“serviceable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Have stayed here before and, as always, the place is serviceable. Nothing special, and with the disappearance of the breakfast (which - trust me - was already nothing special) the place became a bit less desirable. We only come up here to eat lobster and chill out for a day or so, but the glut of hotels in the Ogunquit area - most of which advertised vacancy this summer - lead me to believe we can do much better than the Seafarer. Counter help is passable, but a bit brusque and this summer greeted us with a barrage of rules about the use of towels that made me feel like a felon. We'll book elsewhere next time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Just finished another vacation in Maine and stayed at this very nice motel. This is our 8 visit, and the place gets better each year. Our room was updated and came out lovely. Very clean and nice space. Always enjoy both the indoor and outdoor pools, as well as the hot tub.
The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable of the area on places to go. Look forward to our vacation back here next year!!

Reading, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Just returned home from spending a weekend at the Seafarer, Ogunquit. We barely spent any time in our room as we we on-the-go from morning until late at night. On our final day, we checked-out on-time at 11:00 a.m. and then decided to go to Town for breakfast. Upon our return at 1:30, we decided to avoid the crowd at the beach and, instead, take a dip in the pool and relax before we hit the road. At 2:30, I got a CUP of ice from the ice machine near the office. Less than 5 minutes later, I was confronted by Nancy (Manager? Owner?) in front of my kids, as well as other guests who were sitting by the pool. She immediately stated "It's 2:30, checkout was at 11:00, what are you trying to do, milk another day out of me!?". I stated my surprise and said that I didn't realize that it was a problem. Her response was that she's not in business to provide free ice and pool towels (we used one of the hotel's mini pool towels). I was furious, but did not want to escalate the discussion in front of my kids. We collected our things and were on the road within a few minutes.

I have NEVER been treated so poorly in a hotel in all of my years of traveling. This woman could have made her point (as ridiculous as it was) by quietly pulling me aside and explaining her concern. Instead, she chose to make a big deal out it in front of my kids, as well as in front of hotel guests. The funny thing about this is that I had just finished saying to my wife that, even though the Seafarer is nothing to brag about, we should plan on staying here on a regular basis, including two weekends that we are planning in August. Needless to say, we'll never stay here again.

seafarer2003, Owner at Seafarer Motel, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
In Response, I did not embarrass you in front of other people at the pool as I did not raise my voice I spoke to you in a very normal way. You did check out at around 11:00am and then I saw you again when you came back from your breakfast, to use the bathroom. I ask if you had already check out which you said you did but was going to take a dip in the pool before heading back. No problem, then I go out to check on everything and 2 1/2 hours later you are still at the pool having lunch, snacks etc. Yes you did get ice, you and your family did use the facilities. I explained to you that most guests do ask if they can stay a couple of extra hours at the pool and they are on there way by 1pm. Which we do not have a problem with as our arrivals usually come in between 1 and 3pm. We also let our guests after checking out leave there car in the parking lot, so they can either walk around town, go to the beach, go out for breakfast, etc. I did ask if you would like to spend another night and you said no. Your response was no problem and you would leave, which you did. If we allowed all guests to stay all day till the traffic went away, we would not be able to fit all our arriving guests at our pools. I find it hard to believe you did not like the motel as you and your family did seem to enjoy your 3 days at the pool, had no complaints about the room, the cleaning, or the staff.
So if you would like to bad mouth me personally that is fine but I don't think the rest is true as you would not have stayed 4 1/2 hours longer after checking out.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

The owners have put a great deal of care and effort -- and no doubt money -- into making this pretty much the perfect reasonably priced family establishment in Ogunquit. A highlight: the renovated adjoining indoor and outdoor pools. We had to drag our kids out to get them to go to the beach! Very family-friendly rates and a reasonable walk to Ogunquit's main beach, restaurants and other amenities (trust me, you don't want to bring your car into "downtown" Ogunquit unless you like traffic jams and have deep pockets... $25 a day to park at the main beach and often full by mid-morning!) We had a clean, modern room with kitchenette, saving us a lot of money on restaurants. There's easy, accessible, parking, free wireless Internet, friendly employees ... the Seafarer has it all for the family looking for an Ogunquit holiday without breaking the bank!

Rumford, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

9 of us stayed in one of the family suites 5 adults 4 children. This place was perfect. Kids loved indoor pool. short walk to center town and perkins cove.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

The room was very clean, very affordable compared to all the others I looked at online , I love the sitting area on the balcony . They had an indoor / outdoor pool and a hot tub which were all really clean and enjoyable. I like that it's far enough from Downtown so it's quiet but also close enough to walk downtown.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Brossard, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Room was really clean , AC worked great , was really comfortable the owner Nancy was a great hostess, very helpful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Seafarer Motel? Share your experiences!